1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz Great Maynard Ferguson Dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Aug 24, 2006.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I can't believe it. I've seen live him numerous times. Just saw him last spring. RIP :(

LINK

2. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

I love Maynard!!! I didn't realize he was so old. I saw him back in the early 90's. Good show.

3. Another Brother

+ incredible range

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Never a big fan of Maynard. I never found any real substance in his playing. I'm sure he's done some good stuff but every recording I've come across with him on it is cheesy as hell and chocked full of gimmicks. I watched a concert with him that aired in BETJazz and every song he'd screech the 5th of the tonic chord and never resolve it except for the last song when he finally resolved it. To me that was REALLY cheesy. I'd much prefer Arturo Sandoval.

As a side note, Bobby Odneal, who directs the Jazz Ensemble at San Jac South, played 4th trumpet in Maynards band for a while.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Initially I thought this was about Maynard of Tool.

Anyways, RIP.

6. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Member

From the drunkest cities thread:

7. Lynus302

Lynus302 Member

My dad played with him years ago.

RIP, Maynard.

8. Steve_Francis_rules