1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jayson Williams=MURDERER??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Feb 25, 2002.

1. s land balla

s land balla Member

KINGWOOD, N.J. (AP) -- Former NBA star Jayson Williams surrendered Monday and was charged with manslaughter in the shotgun slaying of a limousine driver at his mansion.

The 34-year-old NBC sports commentator used a back entrance into the state police barracks, and had no comment as he entered or left the building. He was freed on $250,000 bail.

If convicted, Williams could face five to 15 years in prison.

Costas Christofi, 55, was found shot to death at Williams' 65-acre estate in Alexandria Township on Feb. 14. Published reports have said Williams was playfully twirling a shotgun while giving a tour of his mansion when the weapon went off.

Acting Hunterdon County prosector Steven Lember declined to comment on details of the shooting Monday.

"The death of Mr. Christofi was a tragic accident, but it was an accident," Williams' attorney Joseph Hayden said. "We are very confident that after a full, fair and thorough exploration of all the facts it will be clear that Mr. Williams is innocent of recklessness and innocent of any criminal conduct."

Initially, some of his guests reported the death as a suicide. After an autopsy, the medical examiner ruled the shooting a homicide.

"We are most interested in getting to the truth in this case. Those witnesses should come forward and do the right thing. If they do, they have nothing to be concerned about," Lember said at a news conference Monday.

Earlier, Lember told the New York Daily News that his office also was investigating whether Williams allowed Christofi to bleed to death before authorities were notified.

Hayden has denied there was any horseplay prior to the shooting, and has not commented on who was holding the gun.

Christofi had been hired to drive Williams' friends from a charity event in Bethlehem, Pa., to Williams' home, about 30 miles northwest of Trenton.

The 6-foot-10 Williams was once among the NBA's best rebounders, but leg injuries ended his basketball career. He retired from the New Jersey Nets in 2000 and now works for NBC Sports as an NBA studio analyst.

"We've been unable to get in contact with Jason's representatives and feel it's inappropriate to comment until we do so," NBC Sports VP Kevin Sullivan said.

Williams, 34, has freely admitted past mistakes, describing them in a 2000 autobiography as 'a lot of beers and barroom brawls and some scrapes with the law and too many fights and some yelling matches with coaches and a bunch of headlines.'

In 1992, he was accused of smashing a beer mug over a patron's head at a Chicago bar. Two years later, he was accused of firing a semiautomatic weapon into the parking lot at the Meadowlands sports complex.

He wrote in his autobiography that he almost shot New York Jets wide receiver Wayne Chrebet while firing a shotgun on his skeet-shooting range. And Williams faces a hearing this week on a charge that he pushed a police officer last November in a New Jersey bar.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

It's a shame, but this is where his past is going to catch up to him. I think it will weigh heavily on the jurors. the only thing that may trump his past will be the lack of a witness. If there's no witness he will probably walk. Ought to be an interesting case anyway.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

If it's true, then he deserves the maximum. The guy is an idiot!!!!
    Look at me....I'm drunk and I can twirl a shotgun....whoops. Then, the aftermath...just picture it: "Don't call 911 yet....what are we going to say? How are we going to explain this? Let's get our stories straight first? Oh sh#t!" Meanwhile, the guy bleeds to death. I bet he gets sued in a civil case and he should have to pay no less than $10 million and do 10 years in prison IMHO.

From reading excerpts from his book including how he almost shot another player, the dude sounds like a real immature jackass IMHO.

4. Timing

Timing Member

He may have done some dumb things but when both of his sisters died of AIDS I seem to recall him adopting their kids so he's not exactly Mr Evil.

5. Isabel

Isabel Member

Sigh. Why do so many people treat guns as toys? You hear about kids messing around with them (my teenaged second cousin was killed this way). Unfortunately, this is another example of an NBA star who never grew up. I'm beginning to wonder how many of them ever did grow up. NEVER screw around with a loaded weapon!

For some reason, I have the Weird Al Yankovic song <a href="http://www.yankovic.org/WeirdAl/g_Off_The_Deep_End/trigger_happy.txt">"Trigger Happy"</a> going through my head...

6. MadMax

MadMax Member

i disagree..people are convicted of crimes all the time with no witnesses present at the scene. if his prints are on the gun...the same gun...and its in his house...and no one else was in the house...circumstantial evidence will drown the guy. my guess is he'll plead out for a lesser charge...particularly since it doesn't appear to be premeditated.