1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jayson Tatum

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ghettocheeze, May 5, 2018.

1. T-Mike

T-Mike Member

The Lakers got screwed with Ball. So many better players. Tatum was at least No. 3 but what about Dennis Smith Jr at 11, Mitchell at 13 ?

ghettocheeze likes this.
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Do everyone a favor and clearly describe exactly what you mean by alpha and beta.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

An alpha is a leader of the team, someone who wants to be "The Man" or face of the franchise instead of just a sidekick. In KD's case he is a beta because he never wanted to be a leader, that's something he said so himself.

4. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

you might be underrating Mitchell and Simmons a bit

5. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Honestly, this is pretty stupid. For one, how do you box people as alpha/beta? Leadership can be defined many ways. Some people yells and curses, some people lead by example? Is Steph an alpha? Tim Duncan? Most people have some mix traits. It’s stupid to label people this way..

2. How do you know a 20 year old is an alpha/beta? Do you know him personally?

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I don't know where this whole alpha vs. beta debate is going.

What I do know the is that Tatum and a bunch of nobodies took out the "bell-ringing" alpha Antetokounmpo in the first round and are now doing the same to twitter loud-mouth alpha Embiid.

Plus, how in the hell is Tatum a beta?

He demands the ball in clutch situations and delivers. That's the biggest sign of being a sports alpha -- not the braggadocios crap Westbrook pulls.

IvanLCPM and A_3PO like this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

I mean..is this thread really necessary?
    If you think Tatum is being overlooked then I really envy you.
    Because for the whole season I had to suffer through endless messages from Boston fans caling him a future superstar.

My opinion is that there is only one team that seems to have won the draft so far and that's Utah.
    They managed to draft a pillar of their team with a low pick.

roslolian likes this.
  8. DeAleck

Boston is indeed another winner. They got the guy they wanted all along who is possibly the best player in the draft, fleeced Philly for another likely lottery pick, and is riding the rookie into ECF by beating the team they traded with. I mean, what else do you need to do be the winner?

9. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

At the time of the draft, did you personally know that Mitchell was going to be way better than Ball?

I never even heard of Mitchell before the draft.

10. malakas

malakas Member

I mean..not that is that important but IMO one can say they won the trade. Not the draft. A top 5 pick is not such a win to be performing like a future star.
    To say they won the draft either it has to be a generational type of player or a low pick that is a star. That's my opinion.
    Anyway it doesn't matter.

For me I can't even say for sure if they won the trade. I have to see what Fultz is all about. With the strange "injury" going on this year I haven't formed an opinion on him yet. I wouldn't be shocked if next year he too plays like a future star and is even better.

And I think it will be wise if people start taking into consideration the Stevens factor. Most of the amazing players of Boston as soon as they get traded are dissapointments. Turner, IT, Bradley, Crowder for the most part.
    Who will be shocked if Smart next year is horrible in his next team?
    Take into account how much better Stevens makes Tatum and Brown seem. Now take into account how worse an incompetent or average meh coach makes other rookies seem. Its a huge advantage.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

The problem with that narrative is that it really isn't true. Turner was never particularly good--he hasn't gotten worse since leaving Boston, he just has a stupid contract. Without that contract, he'd still be the "hard-working role-player" that he always was, in terms of perception. Crowder and Bradley basically had one (Crowder) or two (Bradley) good years and have regressed to the mean. They weren't good for all of Stevens' tenure. Crowder managed to parlay one year of fluky-good three-point shooting into "rising star three-and-D" player.

And Thomas is damaged goods. Obviously. Even mentioning him is silly. Everyone knew he was broken when the Cavs traded for him, his drop-off isn't remotely surprising.

Stevens doesn't magically make players look better than they are. He's a great coach because he blends what he has into a strong team.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Olynyk looks about the same, maybe a little better.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Nobody ever KNOWS someone is going to be a star.

They see potential and ability... then make the pick. If someone hear KNOWS when someone is going to be better than someone else, they should join the Rockets so we don't waste our first rounders that we rarely have now a days.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Outside of Boston fans Tatum is getting that much love. No one is talking about him like Mitchell and Simmons in the first round. Everyone has already proclaimed Simmons as another transcendent player even after he scores 1 point in game 2, then follows it up with a bunch of rookie mistakes that probably cost them the series in game 3. You'd think Tatum was Malcolm Brogdon with a low ceiling instead of a 20 year old rookie who is killing it in the playoffs.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I'd be more inclined to see if Rozier can keep this up for more than one season.

A_3PO likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He's going to have a better career than Paul Pierce.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

say breh, are you gonna do another gut feeling prediction again? playoff edition. that shiz be lit af.

18. DeAleck

LOL. That was a while ago. I can predict freakishly well if I can be a dispassionate observer. Right now, I am rooting for 3 of the 8 teams left in the playoffs, so there is no way I can separate my gut feeling from my wishes.

Also, I kid you not, it's not a good thing to fortune tell, even on an online forum half-jokingly. I've studied so-called modern fortune tellers and ancient prophets, and none of them had happy lives. After my experience here on CF, I decided not do that again, for fun or for profit. Is it stupid superstition? Perhaps, but you are talking to a guy who foolishly thought he had a prediction superpower and stuck his neck out on the internet and ended up with an epic run.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

false, you're not really doing it for profit. it's just gut feeling breh, I've known others who had the same and that shiz is scary accurate. and they live relatively content lives.

did something bad happen after you predicting our streak?

20. MD_in_Training

This is another reason why our window is closing rapidly. Boston is soon going to be the Eastern juggernaut. Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Horford, Brown, Rozier... coached by Brad Stevens.