1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jay Williams or Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ceonwuka, Jul 26, 2005.

1. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Which of these guys would you prefer that we pick up before the season starts?

Up until about five minutes ago I was completely sold on bringing in Mighty Mouse because of course T-Mac endorsed him, and he's a solid pro good for at least 12 points and 6 assists a game. But........

I still can't over the fact that we could get a 24yr old #2 overall pick for pennies on the dollar. I personally love the fact that he battled back after many (myself included) thought he was done. I dont have any real info on his rehab, but the buzz is that he looks pretty good. He looked a lot like Tony Parker during his rookie season (with much more strength of course) and if he could regain that form our starting five is pretty legit. It definately is a risk, but if it paid off we would be set for the next 7/8 years...

*Side Note: What's gonna happen to Padgett? I havent heard his name anywhere in quite a while.

2. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

With the emergence of Lonnie Baxter out-of-the-blue and the fact that Padgett turned down his player option he may have shot himself in the foot big-time. LB is a multi-dimensional player [rebounds, mid-range jumper, post moves, plays center as well as PF, and big body] may trump Padgett's occasional 3ptr. Just a thought.

3. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Oh I know Padgett isnt coming back, but is he even getting any phhone calls from anybody? I mean supposedly five teams were interested in Mark Madson, and Brian Scalabine got picked up by the C's... I'd Padgett is better than those guys wouldn't you?

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Baxter can do that in the summer leagues, not in the NBA.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jay Williams for me....I don't see Damon as that much of an upgrade, and neither is Jay, but he is a low risk potentially high return guy.

I like to roll the dice.

DD

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think we should go with the guy who's shown that he's capable of playing basketball at the NBA level.

It's a nice story, but I seriously doubt Jay Williams will be ready to start for an NBA squad next season.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Anyway we could bring in mighty mouse for the LLE and jay will for vet min? Although I'd rather just have mighty mouse.

8. drpepper

drpepper Member

Yea, Williams is intriguing, but how reliable can he really be this upcoming season. If we signed Stoudimire to the LLE, and brought in Jason for the minimum to groom slowly and conservatively for the future, I'd be for it. I don't think he'd mind playing behind Damon for a few seasons.

As for Sura and MJ, I don't see them being here past their contract length's, if not sooner, so bringing in Jason would make sense for a long term project, if he can tolerate the season.

And as for your side note, Padgette may have been advised by his agent to skip this year. I'm sure we'll be fine without him. He may have been disgruntled because of playing time since JVG require that he play defense.

9. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

From what I understand J. Will hasnt even played enough to qualify for the vets minumum. I think its either LLE or ~ 400K. He probably wouldn't come here for 400K when Miami or Cleveland could give him 1.7 Mil

10. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Why would his agent advise him to sit out? It seems like in the NBA if GM's dont see you play then they forget about you.

11. drpepper

drpepper Member

He's been in the league for a while, GM's know he can play. His agent probably has a team lined up for him with more playing time and the same, if not more, loot. The guy ain't gonna opt out unless he already has something lined up.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Jay isn't ready to contribute this season. His agent and trainer are saying he'll be a 100% for training camp but I personally believe it's BS. I think picking up Jay Williams now for the future would be a great idea. But if we're looking for someone to play well now, Stoudamire gets the nod.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

That makes absolutely no sense. Does anybody know what he's talking about?

14. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I personally dont think he's ready right now either. I'm assuming have Sura/James split PG duties for this season. The reason I would like to see us pick him up now and sign him to a deal is so that he have bird rights on him if he actually pans out.

15. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

If Jay Williams had shown more in his rookie year, maybe. I just can't forget what a disappointment he was, and he will likely never be that good again. For this year, there is almost no chance he will play much. I hope he proves me wrong because he really seems like a decent guy. Good luck to him.

16. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

I think it's a no brainer. Just look at this...

PF Stromile Swift Age: 25
    SF Tracy Mcgrady Age: 26
    C Yao Ming Age: 25
    SG ??????????
    PG Jay Williams Age: 24

If we can cement that into our starting 5, we'd have a very solid team that can grow together, and for the most part, chemistry > talent. Jay Williams is more pure pg than Damon in my eyes, and I really think that's what we need. Jay Williams for the LLE would be the steal of this offseason.

Oh and Hi, My name is Alex.

17. micah1j

micah1j Member

J Williams has 1 year of NBA experience. That means he qualifies for a vet minimum salary of about 620K. I think the new CBA has a 3.5% raise on the minimums.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#9

18. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't want Stoudemire, esp at a high price. Would take a chance on Williams.

Really, I'm ok with Sura/James, and want to get another multi-dimensional scorer for the 2, preferably on the cheap.

19. toby

toby Member

Signing Damon to lots of $$$ in a sign and trade could be a very dangerous thing to do. I can't say that the rockets would be much better off with Damon running the point than Sura. Damon is a good general, but the ball is going to TM or Yao right off the bat. Sura can dish the ball to those guys just as well as damon. If he wants the LLE, then yeah, sign him up . . . but anything more than a few million could come back to bite us. Williams would be a great pick up. Williams takes over third string point and moves Head over to the 2. Not ideal, but doesn't tie our hands too much either.

20. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

are you guys kidding me?

you guys would rather "take a chance" with a guy recovering from a motorcycle accident and only 1 year of NBA experience than damon stoudamire, who can take it to the basket, shoot lights out, and lead the fast break, and has been doing it for years? not to mention he WANTS to play for the rockets.