1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jay Cutler

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Oct 19, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

I was listening to NFL Radio and Shannon Sharpe made a good point.
    Why isn't Jay Cutler getting any criticism like VY, Leinart, Alex Smith etc getting?
    Wasn't he suppose to be the 'best' of the crew? they were mentioning that they thought Jake Plummer would have done better this year with the Broncos and that Culter has quietly sucked and given a free pass for some reason.

2. surrender

surrender Member

Kevin Kolb is going to be better than all of them

3. tbplayer22

tbplayer22 Member

I think he is getting a free pass because no one cares about him or the broncos outside of Denver. I mean honestly. VY is a larger then life person that won the national championship. Leinart was QB of the most popular football team in Hollywood. People just care more about VY and Leinart. They make headlines.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I haven't really hear a whole lot of criticism for any of those guys. But I think the reason is that nobody really cares about crappy teams. The Cards, Niners, and Broncos all suck. Out of all those QBs you mentioned, its not coincidental that VY gets the most criticism since he is the most famous and is on the best team.

But maybe it's because Cutler has the best rating out of all the QBs you mentioned...79.9. :eek:

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I dont think Cutler has sucked.

The TDs are low, but he is completing 64.% of his passes, throwing 7.6 yards per attempt and 231.6 yards per game.

Matt Leinart- 53.6%, 5.8 per attempt, 129.4 yards per game.

Alex Smith (3rd year)- 51.2%, 5.5, 115.3

Vince Young- 64%, 6.2, 140.6

And for fun- Matt Schaub- 69.1%, 8.3, 259.7 per game.

6. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

weren't the Broncos suppose to be Super Bowl Contenders or at playoff contenders?

7. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Ya...but 4 TDs and INTs is bad. Especially considering that he may have the most complete team around him.

8. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Shannon Sharpe uttered the name "Ryan Leaf" in the conversation.

9. A-Train

A-Train Member

Hmmm...those stats look eerily similar to another QB who's name starts with "C" and ends with "arr"...I won't mention any names, though...

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

I haven't heard any of those guys get criticized outside of Leinart. VY only gets criticized by Merrill Hodge and pretend die-hard since birth Texan fans on this board.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he def. hasn't played well.. but really, without Javon Walker, he's had a #3 receiver (Stokely) and a first-year-starter in Marshall as his main targets. Combine that with the Broncos NFL-worst run defense, and he's been asked to do a lot with that crew. If Travis Henry can stay on the field, I think he'll have a decent season... but he had a good rapport with Walker. Sucks that he'll be out for a while now

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Exactly. As a Broncos fan, this season has already been a huge disappointment. Shanahan has to get bigger DEs than guys like Dumervil, Engleberger, and Rice. Those guys are being pushed around like paper weights and if you can't stop the run consistently, you aren't going to be very good. Javon Walker being out definitely hasn't helped things, either.

13. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Yeah I agree, he didn't come out of college a star like Young and Leinart.

14. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Shannon Sharpe on NFL radio has been pretty harsh on his old team. You can say he's "KENNY SMITHing" them ;)

He mentioned that he thinks Shanahan is not the coach patient enough to rebuild a team, says Shanahan wants to win now. Also thinks Plummer should still be on the team and help tutor Cutler.

Not to sound like an advertisement, but NFL radio is really good. I like how the crew's take on David Carr's situation in Carolina.

"When you see this guy in practice, he looks awesome. When you see him on Sunday, you scratch your head. We don't understand this guy"

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Carr never threw that many yards per game over a season, and he only averaged 7.6 per attempt one year. Also, Cutler has only been sacked 6 times. Carr would be at about 20 right now. I don't think they are anythign alike.

The 7.6 per attempt is key to me. It shows that Cutler is NOT dumping it off, like Carr did.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Maybe, but that wouldn't be Cutler's fault alone.

17. macalu

macalu Member

i thought the same thing, except it was about VY's numbers (Vince Young- 64%, 6.2, 140.6 ypg). had to look up that completion percentage to see if it was accurate.

as for Cutler, i think he's better than his numbers indicate. as someone said, not having Javon Walker hurts the team.

18. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

Thats what I was gonna say ;) Cutler has definitely suffered with Javon Walker out - it was kind of his saftey blanket, but they should have been doing better this year... Defensively we should be shutting down teams left and right with Camp and Dre on the corners..... Not so.

And what the hell happened to home field advantage? Mile High is one of the best atmospheres in football, and one of the toughest to play in with the altitude and noise - its been a non-factor recently which is a shame. Hell the fans were chanting: "Let's Go Rockies" and leaving early when we got our asses handed to us on a platter against struggling SD. Broncomaniacs have had nothing to cheer about this year. :(

19. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Manny- Is Crowder playing at all? I never thought he was that great of a pass rusher at UT, but a much better run stopper.

20. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Member

Jay is the least of our problems this season. No offensive line, RB is too busy getting high and knocking women up, WRs are hurt or struggling and the defense, well, my psychiatrist said I'm not allowed to talk about them anymore.

I'm not Manny, but I can answer. He's getting a little bit of PT, but not too much. Mostly in, like you said, run stopping situations.