1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jay Cutler....quit?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RoxSqaud, Jan 24, 2011.

1. emjohn

emjohn Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6054047
    Who's right? Blogger? or Lovie Smith with the MRI results in his hand?

2. The Cat

The Cat Member

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

He was injured, just because he didn't keep lugging himself out after the first series doesn't mean he's a b*stard. What would have been the point, get seriously hurt or pray for the best behind a shaky Oline?

4. noscrusir

noscrusir Member

Quit, don't quit. Noodles, don't noodles.

5. The Cat

The Cat Member

I'll quote ESPN's Adam Schefter:

http://twitter.com/adamschefter

Here's the full medical explanation.
    http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/knee/medial_collateral_ligament_sprain_full.php

A sprain, by definition, means something in the ligament is torn. The only question is to what extent. Typically, teams tend not to use the term "torn" unless the ligament is completely gone, because they don't want to create a panic.

6. macalu

macalu Member

especially with that bloody leg, it can't be good for him. you can easily lose a limb if it gets infected. we all know how clean the football field is.

7. rockets934life

Didn't realize a sprain is a tear? No idea, really. I just hope this clears it up and keeps some of the peeps off his back.

8. The Real Shady

Ronnie Lott had his finger cut off to go back into a game. No quit in that guy.

9. rockets934life

Wasn't it hanging on by some flesh and he just tore it off so he could go back out and play?

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

11. emjohn

emjohn Member

Let's not start re-inventing what these mean, especially in sports.

Sprain has tearing and in severe cases may be a partial tear

A "torn MCL" is a significant partial tear in some cases, but usually means a complete tear

A "torn MCL" is something you can't play on and requires surgery. And I have my suspicions what camp leaked TORN MCL to the bloggers in Chicago to put a stop to the criticism....

12. dharocks

dharocks Member

First of all, if you watched the first half, and you seriously think that Cutler playing on a busted left knee would have HELPED the Bears chances, I'm not sure what to say. He looked awful out there (and frankly, he's really not that great to begin with).

And let's not even bring up Philip Rivers. He tore his right ACL. Cutler hurt his left MCL. Big difference when you're talking right handed quarterbacks.

If you're going to question Jay Cutler, question his ability. Right now, he's really not a franchise QB, IMO.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

What about his numbers this year would lead you to believe that? This one game?

14. dharocks

dharocks Member

How about any of the games before the BYE week when you guys went to a more run-heavy offense (except against a horrific Cowboys pass D)? Do you really think that Cutler is a guy who can carry an offense? Even if the Bears had a competent O-line, he'd still have the same limitations that he showed in Denver.

Or were you one of those fans who claimed that your team had the best QB in the division after trading for Cutler in 2009? I definitely remember seeing a lot of that.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

skjensen

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

Martz readjusted his play calling because it played better to the teams talent and did a better job of hiding the O-line's massive issues.

It wasn't a reflection on Cutler as much as it was on the talent of the O-line, trying to pull off 7 step drops and wait for deep routes were suicide.

I doubt you've watched every one of their games, so I have a bit more knowledge of what he could do this year. When he had solid protection and time he was very good, see the game vs the Eagles, Viking and Jets. The latter 2 had excellent pass defenses.

I never said that he was the best QB in the division after they traded for him because I didn't follow his career so I wouldn't make such a unfounded claim.

To say he's garbage and not a franchise QB is just silly, most of people's perception is from last years play which was painful from the offensive side in general.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

He has done some pretty arrogant, self righteous things.....or at least said such things. I don't really care one way or the other but I could see how some could perceive him as a douche.

18. The Real Shady

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...told-about-player-s-criticism-?urn=nfl-311669

[​IMG]

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

#99 GRENDEL, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member