1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaxson Hayes arrested after brawl with police

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jul 28, 2021.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

3 trained professionals don't need a taser to subdue a single person.

And again, I said the responsibility to handle the situation correctly should be the person whose job it is. I didn't say resisting helps. That is a situation that cops deal with all the time, so panicking in the manor they so often do shows they don't know what they are doing.

2. raining threes

I could see panicking when you've gou a 6'10 250 lb guy resisting arrest.

BTW, you didn't answer what you thought the cops should've done in this situation. I think I'm a pretty rationale person and given the circumstances I most likely would've done the same thing the cops did and this goes for if the person was Jaxson Hayes or Cody Zeller.

Trackwell, Slyonebluejay and eman like this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They aren't trained. I don't know how else I can emphasize this point, but they don't get remotely sufficient basic training in how to restrain someone or restrain someone as a group.

Or are you saying they should be trained in order for them to not have to use a taser?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Start by having higher standards for those we let in as peace officers, we are not exactly getting the best and the brightest.

DD

raining threes and Trackwell like this.
  5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/27/lapd...police-officer-shoved-into-wall-nba-pelicans/

If the information in the article is accurate and along with the video, I'm placing the majority of the blame on Hayes for this incident.

- Hayes’s girlfriend texts her cousin to call 911 because she feels unsafe. The cousins called 911 saying she received “disturbing" texts from her cousin who claimed Hayes was "getting loud and violent," adding she was "scared and couldn't call the police herself."

- Police show up and attempt to enter the residence to check on the welfare of his GF. Hayes objects and is also trying to enter the house which according to the article is his gf’s residence.

- Hayes erroneously believes the cops need a warrant, when they don't ( due to cops having probable cause in DMV calls) and seems to physically attempt to either stop them from entering or forcing his way past the cops into the residence.

- Cops go to arrest him and in the struggle one officer "slams" into the wall and Hayes is tazed on the ground.

The cops could have done a better job of articulating and controlling the situation and being more clear. Such as instead of arguing back and forth with only statements such as "youre wrong" "we don't need a warrant" etc. Simply say, "since this is a DMV case that we are investigating, we don't need a warrant to enter the premises to check on the welfare of the other party." Furthermore, clearly instruct Hayes that they will require him to stand outside, stay back and not obstruct them or he will be arrested for obstruction.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Hayes looks bad here

raining threes and Slyonebluejay like this.
  7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This is why dash cams should always come into play

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Guilty. Cops did good.

raining threes likes this.
  9. vator

vator Contributing Member

Not trying to go for a controversial take here. I call out injustice when I see it no matter who is involved. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Going by this latest video footage and knowing how police have handled situations like this in the past, Jaxson Hayes is lucky to be alive. He didn't do anything to warrant being murdered right here, but people have been killed for less. He was doing way too much and in this case, I will say he absolutely should have done a better job listening to the police. He was defiant, belligerent, and physically aggressive with people that could have taken his life away in an instant. He was reckless with his own life. Hate to see it. This is on him. I previously had concerns about the way they used the taser because the officer appears to intentionally target his heart before discharging which could be fatal, but he clearly earned being tased.

raining threes likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hayes is a moron. Was he high or drunk in that video?

edit....Just watched again he had to be one or the other. No way he was sober. Well I hope he was on something cause he sounds like an idiot lol.

Police did well with that situation. They could replace knee on neck with knee on face and have the same effect if done properly. But I'm guessing that would get complaints too. As long as you are controlling and turning the jaw/head away of the person you are trying to control then they won't be able to move well.

I think the other issue the police have is they can't use certain restraint techniques and they aren't trained in them. From my point of view a quick rear naked choke would have put Hayes out more effectively than the taser did, but people think you are killing someone when you do that. The taser didn't do very much at all. He's lucky they didn't **** up his shoulder, but that's on Hayes at that point. They could have very reasonably inflicted a lot more damage on Hayes than they did.

Watching again I think 1 cop needed to be on his legs prior to the use of the taser. Fighting the upper body is hard to do. I kind of wonder why they don't have some sort of leg lasso/restraint device that's easy to apply. It seems like it would save a lot of trouble.

The cops were restraining him decently well at the upper body and they could have pretty easily had another cop tie his legs up with Hayes probably not even realizing it. There are good techniques that can be used to tie up someone's legs from the position that Hayes was in.

#130 robbie380, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This would have been nice to use on Hayes. I’m sure other tools similar to this could be created.

FrontRunner likes this.
  12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

^^^
    Wow, this is a very naive comment. That "single person" happened to be a 6'10" athlete that was intoxicated. If you tried to subdue him with 2 people, and one of them takes a shot and goes down, then it's one-on-one and highly dangerous. 3 people is the MINIMUM that is needed in this situation.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Time for John Lucas to have another rehabilitation project.

15. i3artow i3aller

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised those are all misdemeanor charges actually. It's crazy to me that domestic violence and battery against a police officer are misdemeanors yet someone with less than a gram of cocaine is charged with a felony.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Hayes, the 8th overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, is being sued for assault and battery by Sofia Jamora, who claims he roughed her up on multiple occasions during their relationship … including the night he got into a scuffle with cops,” wrote TMZ.

“According to the lawsuit, obtained by TMZ, Jamora claims they started dating in October 2020 and the NBA stud first got violent with her on Valentine’s Day 2021, violently abusing her in a Dallas hotel room.”

Hayes allegedly got physical with Jamora over a comment related to Valentine’s Day flowers.

“In the docs, Jamora claims she traveled with Jaxson for his NBA game and shared a hotel room, and when he returned to the room he flipped out when she joked about a lack of Valentine’s Day flowers,” TMZ wrote. “She claims he cussed her out, hit her with a suitcase he tossed across the room, physically prevented her from leaving the room and broke down a bathroom door to rip her phone out of her hand.”

Jamora, an Instagram model, also included details in her lawsuit about a 2021 incident that ended with Hayes being arrested.

“In the suit, Jamora claims she left Jaxson at the home during the day while she was at a photoshoot and came home to find her dog severely injured, blaming the bite wounds on Jaxson’s much bigger dogs,” TMZ wrote. “She says Jaxson was ‘passed out from a drug-induced stupor’ when she got home, and while he was asleep she put his dogs in crates.

“In the docs, Jamora claims Jaxson eventually woke her up at midnight and asked what happened to the dogs before flying off the handle. She says they got into a verbal argument, which escalated into Jaxson allegedly threatening for his cousin to rape her.

“In her suit, Jamora claims Jaxson got physical with her and her puppy, throwing the pup to the ground and grabbing and shaking her, to the point where she told him he was hurting her. She says she locked herself in a bathroom, but he broke the door down and roughed her up.

“Jamora claims Jaxson chased her all around the house and the property, grabbing her multiple times, tossing her around and dragging her down some stairs. She says he became enraged and started breaking anything he could get his hands on.

“According to the docs, Jamora claims she locked Jaxson out of the house but he broke in through a window and she texted her cousins, begging them to call the cops.

“In her suit, Jamora claims cops eventually arrived and Jaxson started interfering with the police investigation, getting into an altercation with officers where he was tased.”

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He'd fit in with KPJ and Wood.

vator likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This dude is a piece of ****

20. vator

vator Contributing Member

Don’t usually believe allegations like this off the rip because there are a lot of vengeful and bitter exes out there, but I mean, it does seem to line up seamlessly and be consistent with the out of control and irrational behavior we witnessed from the video with these police officers. Dude needs help.