1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Javier needs to be the game 4 starter/opener.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Stros, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

This should be without question the move - there literally is no other logical choice. Outside of McCullers, he's by far looked like and been our best pitcher in these playoffs and he was an absolute stud for us last year in the playoffs. Don't believe me? Check out his playoff stats for his career:

14 IP, 23 K (14.8 K/9), and he's given up all of...SIX HITS. I will throw up if it is Greinke.

Edit: Obviously walks has been his only flaw and it's been stated many times he's more comfortable beginning the game and getting as much time to warm up in the pen as necessary. The numbers, albeit a small sample size, support him having significantly better control as a starter (3.48 BB/9 in 100 IP vs. 5.22 BB/9 in 55.2 IP for his career).

#1 Htown Stros, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  2. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Hey, guys, look...we have another thread! Yay!! :confused:

Radricky likes this.
  3. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

But seriously, I have no idea what to think after this. Glad I'm not the one making decisions.

4. Yordan The Great

Jesus that's wrong with you people?

That is a sad forum if you are demonized fur starting discussions.

The OP brings up a great point about moving Javier back where he rightfully belongs. He should start game 4 or 5 and Greinke being the other insertion into the rotation.

I would have a lot more confidence in those 2 starting.

Odorizzi is not an option. Period.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Greinke and Javier should be the bulk innings for Game 4. Give them 50 pitches each. I would probably start Greinke and make sure Javier comes in to start an inning.

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Odorizzi is not an option for game 4 but unless a team sweeps the 3 games in Boston he is pretty much guaranteed to be the starter for the biggest game of the year, game 6. Either a win or go home game or win to advance. Dusty should have brought in a regular reliever to clean up the 2nd inning. Not going to trash Odorizzi too much for what happened yesterday. I'm done seeing Garcia, let's see what Odorizzi can do in a regular start.

Nook likes this.
  7. Elienator

Elienator Member

Exactly, Odorrizi is going to pitch again unless the Astros lose the next 3 in a row (or win the next 3).

Garcia hiding an injury is what sucks. I know everyone is playing through something at this point, but had he let the staff know he could have been rested before the playoffs and at full health.

Given the situation I don’t see a point in trashing Odorrizi either. He came in with a man on without a normal warmup and gave up two not particularly well hit singles before the grand slam. He limited the damage after that. He didn’t pitch well, but he stayed with it and “sucked” up some innings as he said himself. We need to hope in a normal start he looks more like the last 3 innings giving up 1 run.

Stephen66 likes this.
  8. HeyBudLetsParty

I’d Odorizzi can give you 4innings and 4 runs at this point you take it. Boston pitching is about to break too, if it becomes a bullpen series I think it swings Astros favor

everyday eddie and Stephen66 like this.
  9. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Garcia's been hiding an injury? Would explain a lot.

10. Elienator

Elienator Member

Dusty said the knee issue he was taken out of the game for has been bothering him off and on, but he hadn’t said anything about it.

I may be overstating it by saying “hiding” since everyone is playing through something, but it sounds like he hasn’t been 100% for a few games.

Nook and Stephen66 like this.
  11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is his pushoff leg too. The broadcast said he was 3 MPH off his usual stuff in the second inning. Why not say something and get treatment if there is a nonsurgical option? I get he doesn't want to get pulled, but this doesn't help anyone.

vince and Nook like this.
  12. Screaming Fist

Yeah, bringing in Orodirizzi in the way that Dusty did was kind of absurd and had Odo started a clean inning then things could have turned out very differently in that game. Once Odo got comfortable he looked very good against the Red Sox.

You can argue that Dusty isn't as bad as bad as some fans say he is but the Dusty defender brigade harping after every win that "Dusty managed us to a victory" are so tiring.

Nook likes this.
  13. Screaming Fist

He's been gassed for a while. Trotting him out as SP2 in this series was just wish casting that he could have some kind of miraculous turnaround when it was very likely that he was going to get shelled right off the bat. I know our options are extremely limited but that's just ridiculous. At least have a plan in place (besides yanking your SP4 out there when he's obviously not ready to play) should he get immediately shelled. Click/Dusty are not managing this series well at all.

Nook and everyday eddie like this.
  14. Elienator

Elienator Member

He had an injury he didn’t tell people about. He had pitched 5+ innings in every regular season start since Aug 1. How were they supposed to know he was going to lose 3 mph on just fastball in an inning and what exactly are they supposed to have done?

Stephen66 likes this.
  15. Screaming Fist

Look at his September starts when his performance began to drag - 5.3% - K%-BB% compared to 21.5% from April 1 through the end of August. Similarly, his xwOBA skyrocketed from .293 in the first period to .355 in the second period. It's fairly clear that he's hit a limit in terms of innings pitched and we can't expect his performance moving forward to resemble what he looked like earlier in the season. IMO, even without the injury it's highly unlikely he makes it through more than three innings just as what happened in the ALDS against a weaker lineup with a better platoon for his skillset.

Nook and everyday eddie like this.
  16. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that's 100% on Garcia. Injury should have been reported before the series started so we could make proper arrangements. He ****ed us in a few ways here. Not on Dusty at all.

Rock Block likes this.
  17. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Yea starting a new thread isn’t such a big deal in the Astros forum. It is in the GARM because there is a ridiculous amount of threads and you have to wade through a bunch of shiit threads, here not so much.

Stephen66 likes this.
  18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

It would be nice to keep it that way. The GARM is a mess because every topic ends up repeating in many threads and good ones get lost in the spam.

It is always good advice in any culture to observe and adjust for a while. Starting multiple new threads for the postseason when no one has seen you all year is as sure a way to incur a backlash as any “look at me” moment as a tourist in a foreign country.

19. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Or maybe it’s not that big of a deal lol.

OP is watching the Astros, had an opinion about the team moving forward and shared it on an Astros forum.

some of y’all are so fussy

The Beard likes this.
  20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I gotta feeling Greinke has the start. Atleast the first time through the order.