1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Williams suspended for Anti-Drug Treatment Violation

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Jul 20, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/news/2000/07/20/williams_suspended_ap/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Jason Williams, one of the NBA's flashiest and most popular players, was suspended Thursday for the first five games of next season for failing to comply with his drug treatment plan.

The NBA, the Kings and Williams all declined to say what the point guard had done or what drug was involved, citing the confidentiality of the league's anti-drug program.

Williams, kicked off the team at Florida as a sophomore in February 1998 for twice testing positive for mar1juana, has been one of the pillars in the revival of the Kings the past two seasons.

"I accept the NBA's decision. I must be responsible and accountable for my actions. The ball is in my court," Williams said in a statement released by the Kings.

Williams and his agent could not be reached for further comment.

The league said Williams, whose behind-the-back dribbles and no-look alley-oop passes have led to comparisons with the late Pete Maravich, had not complied with his treatment obligations under the league's program.

Due to the confidentiality provisions, it was not clear what had led to the treatment program or what Williams' requirements were under the plan. The NBA added mar1juana to its list of banned substances last season.

NBA teams and the players association are prohibited from publicly disclosing information regarding the testing or treatment of any NBA player in the program, other than to announce suspensions or dismissals from the league.

Williams, who will be suspended without pay, averaged 12.3 points and 7.3 assists last season in his second year with the Kings.

"Today's announcement represents a very unfortunate situation for the NBA, the Kings organization, Kings fans and Jason Williams," said a statement issued by Kings general manager Geoff Petrie.

"We as an organization are still 100 percent committed to providing lifelines of support to Jason," Petrie's statement said. "We continue to believe in the power of the human spirit to change for the better.

"Ultimately, however, it must begin with Jason choosing to change the behaviors that have precipitated today's announcement. He must become a better caretaker of his own soul."

Williams was chosen seventh overall in the 1998 draft by the Kings, and became an immediate sensation when he joined Sacramento during the strike-shortened 1998-99 season.

With a mixture of breathtaking passes and 3-pointers from well beyond the arc, Williams -- nicknamed White Chocolate and White Shadow -- evoked memories of Maravich. A banner at Kings games proclaimed: "Pistol Pete is alive!"

Williams, a high school friend of Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Randy Moss, vowed when he joined the Kings to be honest about his problems in college with mar1juana.

"I messed up, I'm human. I've just tried to put it behind me and tried to move on," he said in a March 1999 interview with The Associated Press. "If I am a coach one day, I'll tell them that's a mistake I made and I had to pay for it. I'm going to tell them they could pay an even steeper price."

Lately you're just wondering who's next. Sam Mack, then Kareem, then Jason Williams (again). It's a shame so many of these guys are doing this stupid crap.

------------------
    Member of the pro-Collier/Langhi movement. IN RUDY WE TRUST!!

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited July 20, 2000).]

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Kinda brings back memories of Lloyd and Wiggins.

------------------
    "Get up, stand up. Stand up for your right"-Bob Marley

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I guess the confidentiality clause is until the third infraction:

First time caught - drug program
    Second time caught - $15,000.00 fine
    Third time caught - 5 game suspension.

What with Tony Delk signing with the Suns, it looks as if the Kings will be needing a pg pretty soon. [​IMG]

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Jason caught violating league drug rules, why am I not surprised. Last post for 10 days, I'm going on vacation.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

have a good trip

looks like Sam Mack will get picked up by the Kings to fill the Delk hole and keep Jayson happy.

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I myswell post this as it is blatanlty obvious so here goes-

Following the pickup of Mack to team up with Williams the Kings will plan on hiring Kareem Abdul Jabbar as new coach to ensure team unity [​IMG]

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

7. SlamN

SlamN Member

This kid has unreal talent but I have a feeling that it will never be tapped to its fullest potential. He has no control over himself and it appears he does not have the desire to improve himself as a player. His play last season was almost the same as the first.

------------------

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

they could sign Richard Dumbass..I mean Dumas

------------------
    Will Work for Clutch 101 Book

[This message has been edited by moestavern19 (edited July 21, 2000).]

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

SlamN, you hit the nail on the head. So many players nowadays are "satisfied" once they get that big contract. There is some serious talent being wasted in the NBA these days.

------------------
    "Get up, stand up. Stand up for your right"-Bob Marley

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You see what I mean. Somebody thought it was funny enought o start a whole new thread about it [​IMG]

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!