1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Whitlock rejoins ESPN - plans to create "black Grantland"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Richie_Rich, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

I'm honestly not trying to pile on here, with the whole race meltdown, but this was just too blatant to ignore.
    (please lock if already posted)

From USA Today Sports a few days ago:
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/jason-whitlock-tells-bill-simmons-why-he-came-back-to-espn/

[​IMG]

Given that ESPN already employs and showcases several respected African American writers, analysts and hosts, it's clear that the topics (and range of themes) to be introduced by Whitlock, and the "black Grantland", will revolve primarily around the black sports subculture in America.

So two questions:

1. Could such a media strategy calm escalating racial tensions in America by allowing access by whites (like myself) to a formerly exclusive African American subculture as it pertains to sports? What I enjoy about Jalen Rose on Grantland are his stories relating to the subculture of former and current NBA athletes. Some of the time, they are told along cultural lines (i.e. barber shop talk) and I'm ok with it -- although I don't always relate -- they are definitely entertaining.

2. What are the odds that ESPN (whether intentional or not) uses this platform to further divide the cultural lines among white and black America by creating a clique of non-inclusive, African American centric conversation?

I'll be honest. I'm biased because I've tasted Whitlock's bitter herbs at the Kansas City Star and Fox Sports. I know where I'm leaning, but I'm open to pleasant surprises.

However, let's not forget. Whitlock also posted the following tweet after Linsanity's remarkable 38 pt defeat of the Lakers as MSG:

Man, this could get ugly.

2. Raven

Raven Member

3. Classic

Classic Member

Lmfao

Good luck w that Jason

4. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

There are plenty of Black sports journalists and reporters, who've had no trouble teaming up with White journalists and reporters. If he wants to start a Grantland type network that is more tilted towards the views of Black sports fans, and covers mainly Black athletes and celebrities, as sort of a niche market, then that's his right.

I don't see much demand or need for it, since mainstream media already includes tons of coverage about Black athletes and celebs in their.

5. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

... in their broadcast schedules.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I hope Jason Whitlock sets ESPN on fire and burns it down. I think they made a humongous mistake.

If you let a snake on a boat it will eventually bite you.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This exactly. I can't remember the last time Whitlock had a widely circulated article that wasn't about race. That's what he does.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what an awful idea

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He's a crappy journalist.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Nothing new.

It's obvious who the target market for first take is. And that craps on almost as much as sports center.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I honestly have no idea. Who is, and how did you draw your conclusion?

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Show has a hip hop theme(almost weekly they have a rapper on the show, graffiti artwork, wale does the theme song), they replaced the original host with cari champion , and the star of the show is an old white man that makes himself sound like a fool with the statements he makes.

They have a target audience in mind, and the show gets great ratings. Power to them. The goal is to sell ad space.

My point is I'm not shocked espn is looking for more ways to further market to the black community.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Interesting. I thought it had more to do with reaching out to their younger core demographic (college age students). In the past couple decades, adding hip hop elements has been used in this way often in television and jetting an older less attractive host is also very common.

You could say they are targeting a subculture of the black community but I'm sure if their ratings are worthy of the constant replays, an overwhelming majority of their viewers are whites. I guess that would be no different from hip hop's listeners, who are mostly white as well.

14. Nook

Nook Member

He certainly can try and make a "black" Grantland, but it will be hard to pull off because is a big fat fart box that lacks the talent, perspective and people skills to pull it off.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Jason Whitlock is too much about self-promotion and inflammatory rhetoric to earn the respect of other writers needed to build a brand along the lines of Grantland.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Is it racist of him for trying to do that or is it racist of ESPN for not having more black material coming out of Grantland?

17. Nook

Nook Member

Grantland has plenty of "black material".

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I would figure that about 95% of Grantland's sports articles have something to do with black athletes. Not sure if that qualifies as "black material" though. I don't know what that means.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

We want more djoko articles!

20. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Your assessment looks to be right on.

Old dog Whitlock has some making up to do.

...who are we kidding... ESPN's been whoring for years... any semblance of self-respect died, IMO, the moment "Cold Pizza" (Good Morning America format with Jay Crawford & Dana Jacobson) devolved into the abortion we know as "First Take" (latest iteration of MSNBC's Hardball w Chris Matthews-type **** show with rappers and blow hard entertainers giving sports takes?)

ESPN is never coming back.