1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Stark Rips Uncle Drayton

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RedRaiderRocket, Aug 28, 2007.

1. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

10 seasons without a playoff win - And whose fault is that? The owner's or the GM/coaches?

As far as the SuperBowl, Houston is and will never be a popular spot. Until McNair got it for us, we havent had one since 1974?? At Rice stadium? We're not California or Florida or Louisiana.

A good owner does not make personnel decisions. He does not get involved in that.

In my opinion, if the Astros did not make the playoffs for the next several years it does not influence my opinion of McLane.

Questions

1. Who does he hire and will he let them do their job based on their professional opinions?

2. Will he pay to stock the farm team?

3. Will he allow the GM to maintain a Top 10 payroll consistently (without Bagwell, Clemens, Pettite's salary on the books)

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Average.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i tend to agree. i think people forget just how bad this franchise was at the time he bought it. it had been in freaking receivership! :)

4. MadMax

then why did you reference their record right now and encourage another poster to stop living in the past?

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, I take it you would rate 15 or so owners better than him? Out of curiosity, which ones?

6. msn

msn Member

Not to mention, the 2 championships are also in the past. And, the flowing praise of McNair was almost entirely about money spent.

Drayton has spent money. He needs to stop meddling (allegedly), but he has certainly ponied up.

7. Major

Major Member

Then why give the owner credit for the championships?

Then why say this:

Alexander:
    Made trades for Clyde, Barkley, Pippen, Steve Francis, TMac. Took the chance on Yao.

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Because that's how the Drayton love fest folks view him. He is the man who has led the Astros to these playoff appearances.

This sums it up best:

The best owners hire someone who does know, and then sit back and let that guy run the show. The worst either try to run the show themselves, or hire somebody who doesn't have the foggiest idea, either.

9. Major

Major Member

I already asked for model owners/franchises and got nothing.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Just a side note....i know a lot of you think that having the fans "get to you" if you are an owner and dictate moves that you make is a recipe for disaster.....and i wholeheartedly agree......however...I think it would be foolish to think that the "lukewarm" reception that Purp got at Biggio's 3000 ceremony AND Bagwell's retirement ceremony didnt get to Drayton just a little....im not saying it drove his decision...but it certainly didnt go unnoticed.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Ive already replied to your questions.

The best owners hire someone who does know, and then sit back and let that guy run the show. The worst either try to run the show themselves, or hire somebody who doesn't have the foggiest idea, either.

Is that Drayton McLane?

12. MadMax

look...i don't care who he hires. i want the team to win. he can hire freaking lenny and squiggy to run the team....if they win, i don't care.

this team has been very competitive for about a decade now. that's how i measure success.

13. Major

Major Member

That wasn't the question. I asked, of the MLB owners and franchises out there, who are your model owners? Model franchises?

Or is your standard some mythical person and franchise that doesn't exist?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

[​IMG]

Hell-o!

15. Major

Major Member

I'm sure it would bother him, but this decision wasn't made between Sunday night and Monday morning. It wouldn't have had ANY impact simply because it happened after the fact. The logistics of firing the GM & manager require more than ~16 hours to implement.

16. MadMax

awesome! i thought about including a picture of them in my post. i got in my official "lenny & squiggy" reference for the day. whew.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

but... but... but....
    so which is it, REIT? do you want a hands-off owner who stands idly by while his hires run the franchise into the ground and relegate it to 4th class status in the city? or would you prefer a proactive owner who has maintained a successful organization on and off the field for 10 solid years?

and that you have to sink so low as to reinvent bob mcnair's brief tenure here so far as anything BUT horrible speaks to the depths of your blinding denial. but, ok, i'll play along...
    mcclane brought something that had NEVER been to houston: a world series game. but sure, yeah - let's give credit to the guy who bought a super bowl featuring two teams NOT from houston.

dude, this **** is weak. you've backed yourself into a corner you can't possibly chip out of.

18. NJRocket

The Biggio ceremony was a couple weeks ago

19. NJRocket

yeah yeah yeah...but the stingy prick couldnt keep the roof closed. He probably didnt want to pay for the AC ;)

20. Nero

Nero Member

You know, that's probably the best question of all. ARE there even any 'model' franchises in the Majors now? It's impossible to answer, because it is not a level playing field, and never will be as long as there is no salary cap.