1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Stark Rips Uncle Drayton

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RedRaiderRocket, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

not to mention, those two scrubs - bagwell and biggio - are from the northeast.

besides, why is it a bad thing that drayton has targeted players with texas-ties? i don't understand this line of thinking: do you believe him to be the only owner to ever stumble upon the idea of appealing to players that might be inclined to play for your team because of its location? because every other owner uses strictly money as a selling point and is thereby automatically deemed better? i say it's smart business - ANYONE would say it's smart business. and, again, i find it soooooooo disingenious to cry about it at the same time the city is still neck-deep in crying over the local football team passing on the local hero...

i've said it before, will likely say it many more times: people need to revisit the conclusions they drew in 1996.

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Unfortunately Drayton was probably far too aware of the Nolan Ryan fiasco, Bum Phillips fiasco, Earl Campbell, etc. and his philosophy was and is to go with the path of least resistence.

Few fans may remember that at the time, the Astros did not want to pay an aging Nolan Ryan more money than Mike Scott. Looking back, that was a mistake but it was logical when the decision was made.

Bum Phillips traded a ton of draft picks to get aging players so he could make the playoffs and the Oilers paid the price for a long stretch before they became competitive.

Trading Earl for a 1st round pick to New Orleans was a great trade.

With Drayton, a lot of his decisions are about PR which is bizarre for most professional organizations.

I suppose if your goal is a feel good story, then he's the right owner. He'll never do anything to embarass the city.

3. msn

msn Member

Just to clarify, I wasn't arguing that he shouldn't; only pointing out that the Astros (like every other franchise, I'm sure) have both.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Tell me why you think Drayton is a great owner.

Is it results based?

So if during the next 5 years, with an aging team and very few minor league superstars and a somewhat limited payroll. we do not make the playoffs, is he still a great owner?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Because the franchise has been so ridiculously healthier under his watch than it's ever been....not even close. By leaps and bounds healthier.

6. msn

msn Member

If, during the next 5 years, the Astros rebuild and in are poised to make another long run like they were in '96--yes, he's continued to do well. A lot of that hinges on whom he hires and how much he chooses NOT to meddle, though.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I can't speak for Ric, but, for myself, I think Drayton is a great owner because of his results. The Astros have arguably been the best NL team for the past decade, he got us a really nice downtown stadium, and the ballpark atmosphere is as good as it's ever been.

Leave the wild guesses alone and deal in reality right now.

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Compared to whom? Dr. John McMullen?

Let's always compare ourselves to the worst examples - a new way of examining things in life.

9. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

We're in last place. If you can see past yesterday, you'll realize this is our reality.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Compared to every owner they ever had. Compared to every era of baseball the Astros have ever known. It isn't just a LITTLE better. It's light years better. Light years healthier.

Look...you're going to have losing seasons. It's a given. It's going to happen. But they've been significantly minimized here with the 'stros under McLane's watch.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Where would you rank McLane in comparison to all of the current owners since they comprise all examples?

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think Drayton stole RIET's toupee.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If the Astros finish in the likely 4th or 5th place this season, it will be the first time they've finished below 2nd since 2000, which was the first time they finished below 2nd since 1993. That's 12 years out of 14 (strike year not counted) where they've been in either a division race or a Wild Card race.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

so you reevaluate his ownership on an ongoing year-to-year basis? how convenient. do you think les alexander has been a better owner? what about bob mcnair? where would drayton rank in comparison to bud adams? or charlie thomas?

i think he's the best owner this city has ever had. there may be an element of damning with faint praise to that statement, but the *organization's* consistent success, on AND off the field during his tenure is, frankly, unprecedented in this city's entire history.

15. Major

Major Member

What owners do you consider to be model owners? What franchises do you consider as model franchises?

16. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Tell me how he's better than Les Alexander and Bob McNair?

Alexander:
    Made trades for Clyde, Barkley, Pippen, Steve Francis, TMac. Took the chance on Yao. Gave CD and Rudy free reign to make basketball decisions without inteference. Les Alexander brought 2 championships (the only ones in the city).

McNair:
    Has one of the highest payrolls in the league. Hired professional people to run the organization and is a hands off owner. Has one of the best reputations in the league. Brought pro football back to Houston and paid dearly for it.

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think in terms of wanting to win and the Astros success/failure ratio since he has been around, he has been a great owner.

I think in terms of realizing what it is going to take...whether its having a higher payroll (i.e. overpaying in a sellers market if need be), letting his GM be a GM and things that he is criticized for amongst his peers...not the fans and media...HIS PEERS, I think he has room for improvement.

Who he hires as his next GM will be very telling.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

10 seasons without a playoff series win.

His standing amongst fellow owners is a big reason why Houston hasn't been awarded another Super Bowl.

19. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Is that true? I didnt know that.

What stance did he take that pissed those guys off?

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Again, where would you rate McLane among his MLB peers?