1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Lane review.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Fegwu, Sep 17, 2005.

?

Should we keep Jason Lane beyond this season?

1. Yes

81.1%
  2. No

8.5%
  3. Not sure

10.4%
  1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Fegwu, I agree we need to make changes, but making changes costs money and we must maximize the dollar. For as cheap as he is, how much more are we going to get from Lane's replacement at what price? Not much and it will cost a lot of money. In fact, it would cost a lot of money just to get an established player who does exactly what Lane does.

You mentioned Everett, Biggio & Ausmus. Now you are talking. I like Biggio but if Drayton's primary goal is winning (as opposed to getting Bidge his 3000 hits), he CANNOT be a full-time starter next year. Also, I don't care how much Clemens loves him and lobbies for him, Ausmus can't come back next year as a starter. He's hitting OK right now but how likely will he do it next year? Everett is another guy we could let go. Berkman should be moved to 1B permanently and we should look to add an outfielder.

My point is, the Astros need to add a couple of impact type players. Not superstars, just impact players. 2nd base, shortstop & catcher should be the positions they target. It would likely be money well spent. Taveras & Lane need to stay where they are because they are very cheap and have a positive impact on this team. I know I'm leaving Chris Burke out. Not impressed with him and he hasn't shown me enough to merit starting at 2nd base next year.

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Your points are quite and warrants further review. Allow me ruminate further on it - I see you agree that if we have to keep certain parts, some chages in order department must be made or at least seriously considered.

We are unballanced right now (at least offensively) and we need to shore up from top to bottom. Viz, Palmero and Lamb will all be older and likely show decline. Our farm system is more arms than good bats (save for hopefully Koby and Iorg) - and I am talking about good promise.

So we really need help. I happen to like Burke more for the style that will work for us here that is why I have not included him in the likely to go list.

Though Lane is cheap, his plate form, discipline and "production" really worries me. I understand it is easier said that done attimes but I hope that Purp will at least consider it or whatever it take to become better structured for the future. An example of similar player to a lesser is degree is Corry Patterson of the Cubs. Despite the "stupid" power and crazy tools he is believed to possess he is a bad fit for a team who wants to play smart.

I will sit and look for now.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Carlos Stats .272 BA 15 HR 70 RBI .423 SLG

Jason's Stats .257 BA 23 HR 72 RBI .485 SLG

I am sorry, you were saying again?

DD

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree with Fegwu. Jason Lane is simply too dumb of a hitter to have in such a weak lineup. If this was the Yankees, sure you could absorb Lane's weaknesses. But when you've got Ausmus, Everett, and perhaps Biggio (next year getting really old) then you can't have a guy with a .300 OBP in the middle of the lineup.

Since it appears we won't get rid of Biggio, Everret, or Ausmus (if Clemens comes back) then Lane is the logical guy to ship out and upgrade.

5. Mr. Clutch

Did you think Beltran was gonna hit .272 with 15 homers?

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No,

I thought around .267 with 25 homers....

Beltran is good, but one extrodinary post season does not make him worth $100 million.

I am happier with Lane.

DD

7. Mr. Clutch

I am happiER with Lane, but not happy.

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Since there was no emoticon, I'll assume you aren't being sarcastic. This is like the Rockets saying, since we won't replace Sura, Wesley or Howard in the starting lineup, we must replace Yao to get better. This is an extreme example but you get my point. If both Biggio and Ausmus are starting next year, I will join the list of hard line anti-Drayton cynics.

I'm glad we didn't get Mike Cameron. I'm glad we didn't get J.D. Drew. Maybe Beltran & Boras did us a favor by stringing Drayton & Purpura along until the last minute.

9. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I said years ago if we weren't gonna call him up then trade him. He's certainly worth the money for his production. Too bad for him we called him up so late he'll never see a big contract in his life. But he was major league ready a years ago. I'm amazed he never asked for a trade. Even to Tampa Bay where he could have been playing everyday. He would be alot better by now. If only we hadn't given Ward that chance instead of Lane. We could of got some seroius prospects for Ward before he played his 1st entire season.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Just thought I would bump this up, as he has certainly come around lately.

DD

11. superden

superden Contributing Member

i actually find lane to be quite clutch lately. he hits when needed. like the time when bruntlett stole two bases? everyone forgot it was lane who drove him in.

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Fegwu, fess up now. Will you admit we should keep Lane? 25 HRs, 76 RBI, .268 BA (.299 in Sept). He may be the most bang for the buck we have on the team and he's definitely a starting outfielder next year.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

At this point I dont see how we can not keep him. He's cheap and we dont have ANYTHING in the minor league system that could replace him. I suppose we could go into free agency but our money will be locked up in clemens (should he come back), Lidge (who's arbitration eligible), and Oswalt (who i think is also arbitration eligible). Maybe we can go for one free agent for the outfield but that would just replace Left field (Burke).

I'm not satisifed with Lane despite the great power numbers. He has to get more discipline and start walking more. Also some more consistency in his hitting would be great also. I really like the power numbers but if he can just get the OBP up then he can really become complete. I'm willing to wait for that because there just isn't an alternative at this point.

14. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I think Lane has showed enough improvedment to consider him a keeper. I agree that he is not that young, we still agree with that. But we can't compare him to Wade Miller. Miller had a season (now maybe carrer) ending injury. Age is not an injury, to a certain limit that is. and i was watching the game tonight against the Cards, (the second one where Lane only had one RBI, not the first where he hit a two run HR to help the Astros win a close one.) anyway, Bill or Jim pulled this stat showing Lane's numbers after the all star break, i don't remember the excact numbers but they were good. He is improving at a good pace IMO. Don't get me wrong, I would love to bring someone better but right now the market seems to be overpriced for mediocre players, so in some people's opinion, we might have a mediocre player in our hands with Lane, but at least he's not overpriced.

15. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

What's the deal with Lane's age? If he gives us 4-5 good years I'm happy with that. It's not likes he's 33 or 34 and running on fumes.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Him and Biggio suck. Oh yeah, and McLane.

We suck as a team. We blow. 72-41 over our last 113 games? We'd be 110-3 if we didn't have to deal with these three losers.

Astros suck.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Oswalt signed a 2 year deal prior to this season so he is locked up through 2006.

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I know you like driving your point home, but it's really getting old..

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I stand corrected. Buy some cough medicine. For next year, though, Ensberg will be making a lot more than $500K while Lane is stuck in the basement another couple of years.