1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Kidd in the West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juugie, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Juugie

Juugie Member

I think these finals has given everyone an understanding of how J Kidd would fare in the West. He has it easy in the East. But in the West, He's have a tough time. Tony Parker is killling him. He has been exposed as having slow feet defensively. He is a very erratic shooter. It's also been show that if you get back on D, you can basically make him ineffective.

From the way people idoloze him on this board you would think he would carve up the Spurs defense and get his players all these great shots. It ain't happening.

Becuase people actually have talent and speed in the West. It's not so easy to get all those layups in the West. J Kidd's assists are way down in this series. And the truth is, they need him to score.

When he scores well, they win, when he doesn't, they lose.

2. We're Back

We're Back Member

As good as the guy is Kidd has always been on my all-time all over rated team. the fact is though that he might just get a ring, so it is really hard to say...I hope he does too...Nothing worse than than the thought of San Antone fans partying in the streets while I sit at home and wonder how their organization and ours seemingly switched places...Yao will take us back, enshallah...

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Jason Kidd was in the West up until the last two seasons. I think we have a pretty good idea how he would perform in the West.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

he would be the best point guard in the west, just like he is the best in the East.

5. x_trepidation_x

Jason Kidd isn't the problem in this series. The two problems are:

1) Stopping Duncan

2) RJ needs to step it up

6. rvpals

rvpals Member

I don't see any PG as good as Jason Kidd. He's simply the best point in the game right now. There's a reason why New Jersey is playing for a championship, and that's because of Kidd. He elevates his teammates' game.

Did you see Kidd in game 2 & game 4? He simply killed Parker & the Spurs. Jason Kidd is like Michael Jordan with that Killer instinct but with less physical scoring ability.

7. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

This topic is a joke! What else does the man have to do to make people understand that he is the best point guard. If you just dont like him thats cool, but not respecting his game is just crazy! Im sure anyone in the league will tell you that. I guess us being couch coach's makes us understand the game better...:rolleyes:

#7 u851662, Jun 12, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2003
  8. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

.. and less shooting ability, and less defensive ability..

I like Kidd, but let's not get carried away here.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If he was in the West he'd be losing to the Spurs in the first round.

10. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Whats giving Kidd fits is the The Spurs interior defense. The Spurs have the best interior defense in the league.. by far.
    Tim Duncan and David Robinson cut off all lanes to the basket better than any other defensive big men in the game. I guess the only way to counter that would be to have a strong perimeter game like Van Exels. But I don't see Kidd facing this same type of dominating two man interior defense against any other team in the west.. because there just isn't any other team with two great defensive 7 footers paired next to eachother like there is on the Spurs.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When Kidd was in the West, he made it to the 2nd rd 1 time. In the East or the West, I still think Payton is the best pg in the league,period. Kidd is a close 2nd after that.

12. Franchise4Life

Payton is worse than Kidd by miles right now. Payton simply doesnt do things he use to do and he dominates the ball way too much to get his statistics and isnt nearly the defender he once was.

If Kidd does go to the West he will make the team he is playing on much better, every player will improve, and his team will be sucessful. The simple fact that Kidd didnt lead his team past the 2nd round when he was in the West is because the teams he lost to were a lot better than his teams. Jason gets the most out of his teammates, he is a leader and doesnt need to dominate the ball to get his stats(Unlike Payton).

I would also like to respond to a quote saying Parker is killing Kidd. Simple fact is Parker is a scorer, Kidd is not. You can not measure Kidd's impact in #'s. He is simply the best leader at the PG in the league. He gets points, assists, steals, rebounds, and makes big plays down the stretch to win games. Game 2, and Game 4 FT's should let you see that. The shot against Detroit and defensive stops in the cluth. Kidd is on another planet than Parker, dont be misled by Parkers scoring he isnt have nearly the impact on each game that Kidd is having.

Kidd is the best point guard in the league right now. In my opinion here is the list.

1. Kidd
    2. Marbury
    3. Francis
    4. Nash
    5. Baron Davis
    6. Payton(Nash and Payton are about equal to me right now)
    7. Van Exel
    8. Bibby/Bobby Jackson
    9. Arenas
    10. Billups
    11. Tony Parker

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I guess his number mean nothing? Not only is he a better scorer and shooter, but until he was traded, he was leading the nba in asst. Last yr, he was 2nd behind Miller in asst , but Payton is miles better? Its not like Payton just totally dominates the ball. In Milw he didn't and still put up 19ppg and 7.4 asst while sharing the backcourt with Cassell and 20pts 8 asst while he was in Seattle. Most say he will go to la, but the ideal place for him is Indy if they resign Miller and Oneal. If he goes there, i can almost guarantee that they could match up with just about any team in the west.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I think that this post is in the wrong forum.

15. Sane

Sane Member

Kidd would probably still be the best PG in the league if he moved West, but his stats would surely drop and he wouldn't get consideration for MVP.

How many of you would bet on the Nets knocking out even 9th placed Houston from the playoffs?

A shotblocking presence and a good PG can destroy the Nets easily.

You wanna talk about overrated, let's talk about Tony Parker. Lucky Kidd. Imagine if he had to deal with Francis, Marbury, or Payton on a decent team.

Here are my rankings:

Kidd/Payton
    Marbury
    Francis/Nash
    Mike Bibby
    Tony Parker

16. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

I would.

Now you think rockets would knock out the team which has advanced to the nba finals? Teams in the west are better but do you mean the first 9 teams in the west all would win in the east if they are moved to the east? :rolleyes:

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I can't believe anybody thinks Payton is better than Kidd. Payton also plays in the East now, btw, and hiis slippage has become increasingly obvious , never more so than in several games of the Playoffs v. NJ this year. Kidd lit him up.

Payton was a great pg, several years ago. But now he is just a good one. Kidd is far and away the best in the league and has been for the last 2-3 years.

A better debate would be Kidd at his best vs. Payton at his best, at least that would be a contest. Payton probably has the edge in Defense and penetration, Kidd has the edge in postup and pure passing and the "6th sense".

18. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

unless he played for them :(

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

um, didn't he beat the spurs in the first round while he was playing with phoenix???

let's not ignore facts, please....

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You do realize that the Nets have won 2 games right?

It's Jason Kidd and a bunch of scrubs vs. the Spurs...Jason Kidd is showing why he should be an MVP candidate. Spurs have a lot more talent IMO. Nets have only Kittles and Harris who can really shoot.