1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Kidd: Heat will hurt NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ABrooks0, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

"Well, I think we would love to spread everybody out. We had 10 or 15 of the top players on separate teams, where guys were coming into town and they could sell tickets. It's not going to be easy for teams to sell tickets in Cleveland or Toronto now because those guys aren't on the team. I think everybody can say Miami will sell out wherever they go all year, but that hurts the NBA in the sense of selling tickets. It's just for them to go Wes,t teams are only going to see them once, and then on the East coast they only go there twice, so it may be disappointing on that aspect but when you talk about just straight basketball it will be interesting and fun to watch."

Here is the link
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...t=Ak9nzO9DChFzY76fFKl_7aq8vLYF?urn=nba,257087

Kidd has a good point. Toronto is going to have a hard time selling tickets!

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Those Lakers and Celtics teams back in the day were filled with All-star caliber players right?

Did that hurt the NBA? Really how is this any different?

In fact this helps the NBA. Another team for people to tune in and hate.

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

He just wanted Lebron on his team.

4. Francis 4 ever

If this is true why did they instate a salary cap?

5. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

But what about the teams like Toronto, Cavs, Timberwolves...lol
    They don't ever get any better

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This helps the NBA during the initial season and the success of the Heat come playoff time. If there's drama on the team, it also helps the team, because all of the bandwagoners will either support the Heat or go back to slurpin' on individual players, and starting the blame game in South Beach.

Give it 2-3 years and I do agree with Kidd, it will hurt the NBA.

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Filled? What years and players?

There was never a 2nd and 3rd best player in all the league signed on the same team for years and years in their prime. Then add a top fruitcake velociraptor and that's nuts.

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Go to a HeatFans board.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

I would if I was a Heat fan.

And if I was a fan of the Heat I'm in the right section.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

The same people that are complaining about this are also the same people that will say the Heat won't win a Championship because of depth.

I don't get what the problem is. Those 3 players took less money to team up. Kudos to them.

Whole thing is overblown to me.

11. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I'm with Shaud on this one....

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Guess you should pack your bags and head with me to the Heat forum even though we are not Heat fans.

Apparently you're only allowed here if you whine and act butthurt like a preteen girl.

13. Raven

Raven Member

The NBA needs a franchise tag.

14. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

where are Deke's bows when you need them?

15. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Ya, this doesn't hurt the NBA at all. Let's take it a step further and get CP3 and Carmelo to join Amare in NY for another trio. Then maybe we can trade Yao to Chicago to join Boozer and Rose. I also heard Deron Williams will replace Fisher in LA. D-Howard thinks there are too many stars in Florida so he convinced Steve Nash to demand a trade to OKC. :grin:

16. sbyang

sbyang Member

The move will help the NBA overall while hurting Cleveland and Toronto, Cleveland much more than Toronto.

It will take Cleveland a long time to recover. But Bosh was never that big of a draw for Toronto. They can get over Bosh quick if they were smart.

17. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

Every team was pretty stacked back then. They became hall of famers because Magic and Larry got them rings. The pistons, blazers, sixers, rockets, on and on all had great players on them. The league is just much different now because of college coaching getting worse and there being so many teams, players don't have to be as good to make a team.

18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

With regards to Kidd's point, the league was smaller then, so I'm guessing the smaller teams would be playing the lakers and celts a higher percentage of the time than they would against the heat now.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

kidd is talking about franchise players...not all-stars.....it's as if MJ, dream, patrick, malone, stockton, and barkley were to have joined forces on two separate teams, 3 on each team. It means those two teams would have sell outs and they'd sell out when they visit other cities, but that's only a few visits a year. On the other hand, teams like houston chicago, NY, utah, and phoenix would be left without franchise guys who bring in mos tof the money..therefore they'd sell out when those super teams came 2-3 times a year, but every other game they'd struggle to sell tickets....

obviously there's more franchise players to go around than the 3 in the miami heat, so i dont think it'll hurt the NBA significantly, since it'll make up the money in other sales generated by the move...but if the trend continues, then it possibly could. You'd suck out all the franchise guys out of every team and they'd pair up across 5-7 teams and leave the other 20 something teams without one and they'll struggle to win and sell tickets...unlikely to happen, but that's Kidd's point.

1 person likes this.
  20. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

We're gonna need one more to come with us to make the big three.