1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason is back...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Old School, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

...but I'm probably going to pass on this crap. I thought Friday 13th II was the end of anything good about this movie.

[​IMG]

'X' marks Jason's return to theaters

By Claudia Puig, USA TODAY

During the last nine years, the machete-wielding murderer Jason Voorhees wasn't exactly sorting through piles of scripts.

"Jason was on the shelf. He wasn't doing anything," says Jim Isaac, who directs Jason X, the 10th opus in the Friday the 13th series, which takes place in outer space and opens Friday.

The last time anyone laid eyes on the mutilator, Friends hadn't landed on TV, Britney Spears was 11 years old, and the only shots on school campuses swooshed through basketball hoops.

"It's been so long that people are champing at the bit for another movie to come out," says Kane Hodder, who has played Jason in the last four Friday the 13ths.

And who would argue with Hodder's character, a 6-foot-4, 250-pound monster with a gruesome glint in his eyes? Well, there are some brave dissenters.

"They are not my cup of tea," says movie critic and historian Leonard Maltin.

"I'm very squeamish, and I take violence seriously. I wince, and I jump, and I noticed the kids around me were laughing. Obviously, they see it in a different way."

But fans of the first Friday are now approaching their 40s.

"They can take their kids, isn't that heartwarming?" Maltin says. "But nine years in pop culture is like a millennium, so it's very hard to say (if audiences will go to see it)."

In these post-Columbine, post-9/11 times, there's an added risk that audiences will turn away from more violent fare.

"You need to be a little bit sensitive," Isaac says. "There's a place for all kinds of entertainment, but I didn't want to make a movie that didn't have any value other than just being a slasher, gory, exploitative film. So, this is a fantasy/action/horror/sci-fi with some humor."

Sort of. In Jason X, a Terminator-like Jason eliminates a record-breaking 28 people, Hodder says. And the estimated $12 million budget is only $4 million less than the last Friday the 13th made in its entire U.S. run. The cost is largely because of the special-effects quotient, part of an effort to bring Jason into the 21st century.

"I didn't want to go dark and dirty and hang out on a lake with kids having sex and being killed off," Isaac says. Still, the movie is chock-full of slaughters, usually of nymphets and studs, often in compromising positions.

So Jason was compelled to go futuristic if he were to survive? Or find a more formidable nemesis? New Line Cinema owns the rights to both the Friday and Nightmare on Elm Street sagas, and studio officials are said to be in serious talks on a Jason-meets-Freddy-Krueger bloodfest.

"They would be insane not to try it," Hodder says. "That's what the fans want to see."

2. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I wonder what the "chi chi chi chi, ha ha ha ha" will sound like in space. :)

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

They really ran this series into the ground. The last movie was "Jason Goes to Hell" which I didn't see but I heard the premise was Jason turned into worms which crawled into other people who did the killing under his evilness. Umm...hello....can we get any stupider :rolleyes:?

The earlier movies at least had some element of scariness. Then, they turned it into a comedy just to milk it even more. I read a few reviews about this "Jason X" which pretty much sums it up as one of, if not the, worst ones yet.

At one point in several movies back, I seem to recall Jason melted. Yet....he's still coming back because the money is a calling.

I'm afraid this will be the last one. Initial curiousity will draw in some teenagers but once word gets out at how bad this one is...it will flop. The 10 year hiatus was caused by the last movie stinking up the world. There was supposed to be a "Jason vs. Freddy" movie....they probably should have gone with that concept.

This series such have ended a long time ago. Studio idiocy and greed kept it alive. It's time to turn the tables on those bastards and hit em where it hurts....the wallet. Hear's hoping that they take a major loss on this one...budgeted at $12 million that may be hard to do. Bunch of fockers....they killed my love for the first ones and Jason is more of a stand-up comedian than a killer now. Maybe he dances in this one, too? Maybe maybe no.

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Damn... Michael Jordan is playing basketball, Hulk Hogan is the WWF Champion, and another Friday the 13th movie is coming out... What year is it again? ;)

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I also heard that there will be a woman cyborg of some sort that appears topless in the movie, and her "robotic" nipples fall off..or something to that effect.

This Jason Voorhees character has become tiresome. Let it die. He had his head chopped off in the last one...no wait, that was Michael Myers. My bad......

Same guy, different mask.

6. Sonny

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

seriously though, even tho this budget is only $12 million, chump change by todays standards, this is probably the highest budgeted Jason movie ever.

8. Sonny

Halloween: Resurrection

http://www.upcomingmovies.com/halloween8.html

They can't kill any of them.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I hope Jason finally kills the horror movie genre.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I havn't seen it since the second one and I thought that was two too many....

but I always thought it was kill kill kill kill.... her her her her ...

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I find this part rather disturbing. Is this a trend in these types of movies? To "out-kill" the last one? I never go see slasher movies, so I wouldn't know.

12. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

Jason X if you did not see it and your a fan of the series then you need to see it.
    Its campy,and humorous and just alot of good special effects.
    People who write these articles and bad mouth films only drive people to go see them.
    Its purely an attempt to bad mouth a good horror flick because these movie critics only care for films that are of real life.

Houston Chronicle gave it a B thats not a bad rating. actually said some good things about the movie.

Jason versus Freddy is in the works right now the script is being drawn up and reviewed.
    Upcoming horror movies:

Hall8ween : Resurrection
    Eight Legged freaks.
    House of the Dead
    Jeepers Creepers 2
    Jason Versus Freddy
    Evil Dead: Ash Lives
    Predator 3
    Aliens 5
    Resident Evil 2

Everyone one of these movies are in the works so look for more as months go by!:eek:

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

OH NOOO!! Make it stop!

How does one continue killing people on Halloween without his head?

Well, the only way I'll see that movie is if he is carrying his head around in one hand, and it gives his body advice and tells him where to go and such. He'll leave his head on a table somewhere, and the head can get pissed at the body, yelling to come back and get it.

Hmm, I see some possibilities.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

It's easy to bash Jason X, but I can't wait to see it. It looks like it will more like Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer than the previous Jason movies.

Who knows, maybe Kevin Bacon will make a suprise cameo?

15. Band Geek Mobster

I just saw it...

I suggest everyone go rent "Leprechaun in Space" instead...

[​IMG]

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

[​IMG]

C'mon Spider-man. Save us all...