1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Allen

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mugrakers, Dec 26, 2010.

1. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

So it looks like the Texans finally picked up someone else's trash and turned into treasure. He seems to have the ball hawking instincts. Except for the one play in the Jets game where he let the receiver get behind him... it's been all gravy.

Can we build around him and Quinn? I think all we need is a good cover free safety to sure up the back side and who also allows Pollard to play the 8th man in the box.

2. updawg

updawg Member

Texans again picked up someone else's trash and made it their trash

1 person likes this.
  3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Spoke too soon. Just got outjumped by Brandon Lloyd.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He is better than Jackson. Still is not a guy that SHOULD be starting on a contender. I wouldnt mind keeping him as a nickel or 4th corner next season.

But he just made a horrible play on Lloyd, shouldda been intercepted

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Hrd to say he got outjumped when he didn't jump in the first place. It might be more accurate to say he just got "jumped".

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Ok, well after Mark Anderson had a nice sack on Tebow, guess who erases that?

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The ref with a bad call?

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Nobody was even close on that jump ball for Lloyd. Nonexistent over help from the safety (Nolan?) and J. Allen mistimes a jump he shoulda had position on.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Jason Allen a ballhawk? I hope that was a joke........

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ballhawk? No, not necessarily. Teams just throw at him. However, instead of falling down like Kareem Jackson, he'll manage to grab an INT here and there.*

*By no means am I saying Allen is good, great, or promoting Allen as the answer.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He's a slightly below average starting CB. Just goes to show you how out of his league KJ was.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He's awful. They're all AWFUL!!!!

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

are you serious..? Jason Allen is a treasure..? the dude is trash and that was the first reason why the dolphins released him, and why do we have him on our team..? is because Frank Bush is trash.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We have him on our team because KJ is the biggest joke of a CB in the NFL. And when that joke is a starting CB, then you know your secondary is in big trouble.

Scary that Jason Allen has been the one making plays for the secondary. Complete train wreck.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

The fact that another team's trash is better than our 1st round pick should tell you something.

If only the Texans understand how to turn their own high draft picks and other teams' free agents into treasures...

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

but doesn't he remind you of dishman?

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

His lack of Pro Bowl appearances and takeaways game after game like Dish had don't really get it for me. :grin:

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I would say he's an average corner. I think he'd be a solid to good number 2 corner. I also think Glover Quin would be an average to good number 2 corner. Problem is, both of them commit too many penalties.

If this team somehow found a way to sign Champ Bailey, and got a decent Free Safety (be that Troy Nolan, Kareem Jackson, or a draft pick), I think our secondary turns into an average to maybe slightly above average secondary. This is, of course, assuming, we get some defensive coaches that have even the slightest clue as to what they're doing(i.e. someone to teach our secondary how not to hold and/or faceguard...). All that being said, if you have a chance to take Patrick Peterson, I think you do it. Peterson, a good free agent (like Bailey) and a new coaching staff could turn this whole defense around, in my opinion.

And, I believe Allen can be called a ballhawk. He is tied for second in the NFL in interceptions this year.

#18 Two Sandwiches, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate how Rick Smith's best secondary acquisitions are mid-season picks: Will Demps, Bernard Pollard, and now Jason Allen. They all came in, played well their first year on the team, and then regressed.

Fools gold. A very, very damning statement on how we scout and draft defensive players.

I know they didn't have two second round picks due to the Schaub trade, but there's no reason for our drafts to be so putrid after the first Kubiak draft given how the talent level on this team was/is in serious need of an upgrade.

20. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Vet corner vs. Rookie corner = apples vs oranges