1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just like his fixation on KPJ or Jalen Green?

See a pattern emerging?

Stone does not know wtf he is doing.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Did we ever have an [Official] Jarret Allen appreciation thread for the legend?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is that fixation when he just used him to get what he wants even if what he wants is really just borderline disposable.

4. dmoneybangbang

LOL..... I thought it was Dipo.... Oh wait.... C Wood?

The fixation of playing the number 2 pick lots of minutes on a tanking squad who is now getting benched by new the coach?

Or KPJ who played a lot of minutes on a tanking team and was the tank commander and is now off the team and not playing basketball?

Yeesh....

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. vince

vince Member

To think the Rockets could have had Allen and Mobley.

Yes, eventually the Rockets swung for a trade to get Sengun; I’m a huge fan of Sengune as is most of clutchfans, but Sengun is lacking a lot of defensive prowess that legit coaches value.

A center and Power forward of Mobley and Allen would have anchored a team defensively for the next decade.

Here the Rockets are vying for respectability, and Green is a huge question mark. Jabari Smith looks at times to be a special player and at other times he looks plain average. Amen Thompson is special, but without an outside shot he’s very limited.

The Rockets GM isn’t fairing too well. Sure things can turn around, but way too many question marks into too deep of the rebuild.

GOATuve, napalm06, tycoonchip and 3 others like this.
  7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

It's obviously another bad move of Stone as GM. If we had Jarrett Allen we would be playoffs team now.

We don't get any good player from Harden trade.

vince and Crashlanded19 like this.
  8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'd honestly rather have Cam than Allen.

RocketOrg and Astrodome like this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I am ok with not getting Mobley since he didn't even want to be here. It stung at first but I believe Jabari will more than make up for it once his body fills in. I do however wish we kept Allen. I think he would have helped alot. As much I love Sengun and am intrigued by his game, it is really tough to build around him. Too slow to guard the faster pf/centers in the nba that play outside in with decent handles and too short and not lengthy enough to bang against the bigger boys.
    A front court of Jabari and Allen I believe would be just as potent.

Easy and vince like this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Do you think we’d have the exact same team if had kept Allen? I mean, I think the trade was dumb too, but there’s absolutely no way we have the same team. We probably don’t trade up for Sengun with Allen, we probably win more games in 2022, etc.

GOATuve and Sooty like this.
  11. vince

vince Member

Probably not, but at the same time it isn’t like the Rockets have a monopoly on selecting talent. In the slots where they’d be picking, there would still be a lot of quality players, players who’ve faired very well for other teams.

Rockets have picked their share of duds, and those guys have been exited from the organization.

it’s frustrating that the Rockets undervalued Allen so much they swung a trade for Victor Olideppo who was coming off an injury and was a malcontent. And hindsight says the Rockets royally screwed up there; their talen evaluation was sus.

12. TimDuncanDonaut

It's hindsight now, but back then it was foresight for lot of us, the receipts are here.

Less about crying over spoiled milk, but more that this GM will keep making more decisions including this upcoming draft and how that Jalen extension will go down.

The attributes that he looks for is what's concerning, he's very Troy Weaver like. Too much emphasis on athletism (Wiseman types) not enough on skill ball. Even if things like going for positional size (Kpj), he picks players that are bad in other areas.

#972 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 5, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Stone will more than likely get an extension because it gives PattyTits cover, and no GM worth his salt would want to be in that current working relationship.

Aruba77, daywalker02 and Little Bit like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

from zach lowe on the new lowe post episode

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

People have wildly unreasonable expectations here. In 3 years Stone completely rebuilt this team. They were .500 last year in one of the most competitive Western Conference years I have ever seen. How many times do we see teams take like ten years to rebuild? Some literally spend decades at the bottom of the conference. Stone took this team from the bottom of the standings to a team that just narrowly missed the play-in within 3 years, and I'd argue that had Sengun not been injured and Tari was able to play at least 2/3rds of the season, we would have easily accomplished that.

We are sitting here with 6 guys 23 or younger with all-star potential and the #3 pick in the current draft, and we are also one of the only teams in the league with the financial flexibility to either sign or trade for a max player if given the opportunity.

"BUT BUT BUT HE WASN'T RIGHT ABOUT EVERY SINGLE DECISION HE HAS MADE!"

p.s. some of the things you guys think he was wrong about, he wasn't. And some of the things you're holding him accountable for are things he didn't do/was only rumored to have wanted to do.

examples: taking a chance on an extremely talented KPJ when we've just blown up the whole team was not a bad decision. taking a chance on Christian Wood was not a bad decision (and in fact, resulted in another swing at a 1st round pick). Drafting the highest upside player available in Jalen Green, in year 1 of a rebuild, was not a bad decision. Mobley seems to have already peaked, and there is still a window for Green to emerge as an all-star type talent.

Hell, most of the anti-Stone crowd was calling for him to be fired when he signed FVV and Dillon Brooks. I see a few people who are still mad about the Dillon Brooks contract, but I don't see anybody criticizing the FVV contract now. And most would agree Brooks has played up to his contract and has positive trade value.

I agree the rumored Oladipo contract would have been outrageous, as would the rumor that he offered Jalen Green and all of the Nets picks for Mikal Bridges. If he really wanted to dump Sengun for Brook Lopez that would also be a colossal blunder. But all of those things are really just rumors and I think it more sensible to judge him on what he actually did.

Let's talk about what we know he did 100% right.

1. He absolutely robbed Sam Presti, widely heralded as the best GM in the league, in the Sengun trade.
    2. He 100% made not only the right picks, but the absolute best possible picks he could have made in Sengun, Eason and Cam. Not many GM's are having the kind of success he's having with mid round draft picks.
    3. He was not only correct in signing FVV and Dillon Brooks (argue about the salary all you want, but it's hard to argue that Brooks has been an enormous boon to our culture and team identity) but he was also 100% right about the more unheralded signings of guys like Jeff Green and Aaron Holiday, and hell, even Landale looked like the guy we thought he was when they signed him once he was healthy at the end of the season.
    4. Boban.
    5. A whole lot of you were mad when he opted for the Brooklyn package over the 76ers package centered around Ben Simmons. We've so far added Eason and the #3 pick from that haul. And we're just getting started. Meanwhile, nobody in the league wants Ben Simmons anymore.
    6. And arguably most important. IME UDOKA AND CO! He hired the right coach and is sensible enough to work with him to move the team in the direction Udoka would like to go.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Was listening to the ringer nba show and their nba insider said Mitchell is likely to sign the max extension with Cleveland and give it a year to see if the org can build on their progress this year. And if it doesn’t work out, they org will work to trade him to a destination of his choosing…kind of like when Paul George resigned with OKC only to be traded to the Clips a year later. Thought that was interesting.

Some folks think Garland and Allen will be trade chips this summer to add better fits around Mobley and Mitchell.

Allen is a great player, but not sure about the fit with Houston. Personally I think Allen for the Pels’ Ingram makes a lot of sense. My biggest question is if Garland can improve his defense under Ime. If you buy his defense becoming close to average, he’s probably worth making an offer. But I do agree with folks who say, he’s Rob Dillingham. Paying an undersized poor defensive player $40 mil per is risky.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I agree that where we are now, 3-4 years into the rebuild, things look promising and that’s a fairly fast turnaround from bottoming out. But let’s just remember that up until last season, we were a terrible team, the org’s rep and culture was in the crapper and Stone was hugely responsible for that (I won’t go into all of the mistakes).

Ime is the biggest single reason for this turnaround. The coming decisions Stone makes on extensions and trades should really determine his worth as a GM.

1 & 2 - yes Stone and Eli have drafted well overall
    3 - Ime had to roll Stone on FVV, who wanted Harden. Brooks is overpaid. They completely incompetently botched the Lopez signing, but turns out that might have been a blessing (like Olidipo turning down a contract extension).
    4 - Boban is a joke
    5 - the Brooklyn package was the best package, but Stone still left 1st round value on the table with the Allen and Olidipo mistakes.

so basically, Stone has drafted well and he’s listening to Ime, which is good. He’s also avoided terrible signings. What he does going forward with the rookie extensions and the big game hunting (or not), and how he builds team fit will tell us how good our GM is…IMO.

#978 Aruba77, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

This this THIS.

We were the worst team in the entire league for the last 3 years (combined record), and then we finished .500 our first year after the tanking stopped. That's extraordinary. Not unheard of, but certainly not that common.

No matter how much credit you think Stone deserves for the turnaround, it happened. We damn near made the playoffs just two years after finishing tied for second worst in the league.

#979 topfive, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
  20. dmoneybangbang

Not to mention.... you can't just assume if we did "X" then the preceding draft picks would have played out the same.