1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Context matters.

Clint is older was injured and on a bigger deal.

JA was predicted to be a max signing but he did not get it.

And 1 season in Silas 5 out likely devalues JA and force a lesser contract.

You can play these what it's all day long.

What is a fact is that Rockets did not receive even a single young All Star caliber player in Harden trade.

This was the single critical item that Stone promised Rockets would get in return.

He failed miserably.

FACT.

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

JA and Simmons were the two young high potential players available on the teams that were most aggressive to get Harden. Stone chose picks and being bad over both of those and the being bad worked.

Big contracts and a limited number of picks isn't exactly the best recipe for success with an owner like Tilman. Getting Simmons probably keeps you out of the top 5 and the Rockets had few other options to get better. Keeping JA is going to cost you money and you might be better.

I'd take the current path 10 out of 10 times with an owner that has shown he's not willing to spend. The Rockets best chance at being relevant against is getting lucky with a pick/picks imo. The more the better.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Once again

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

:rolleyes:o_O

Choosing Dipo 10 out of 10 times tells me all I need to know.

Putin is a genius amirite?

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

People should also stop acting like Allen was a 23 year old all star that cost $20MM/yr when the Rockets acquired him. Are you confident Tilman matches all offers last off-season? I sure ain't.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tilman's an idiot. Whether anyone is confident in him makes no difference.

Nothing JA is doing now is suddenly brand new when the Rockets acquired him.

D-rock likes this.
  7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I didn't want LeVert then and I don't want him now. But that Dipo decision definitely blew up in their face.

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Oh it definitely does. Because if you are keeping JA instead of trading him you better be sure your owner is willing to pay the price to keep him. Every decision the Rockets make going forward have to be factor in Tilman being an idiot that is cheap.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nah it doesn't. A dumb owner will continue to be dumb. That's the point. You don't adjust expectations based on the worst owner.

I couldn't careless if Tilman is willing. The Rockets are the worst team in the league bc of him

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

And the only way to overcome a dumb owner is to get lucky in the draft. You aren't going to be able to financially maneuver your way around Tilman. Morey is one of the best at that and he failed miserably. Get as many picks as possible and hope you get a player so good that you can win despite Tilman.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's no such thing as overcoming a dumb owner. Morey didn't fail. He was cut off again by the worst owner in the league that forced his decisions upon him. that's why he left the first chance he could

The dumb owner has a dumb FO to go along with it. There's no such thing as getting lucky in the draft to overcome any of that

D-rock likes this.
  12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Sure if everyone is dumb the Rockets are screwed. But I like most of the moves made by Stone minus the terrible deadlines. Hopefully that is something he can get better at.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

The Rockets have been screwed. That's nothing new. A good amount of folks around here saw this coming like 3 years ago. a lot of yall are still late to realize it

you might like it, doesn't really matter. The rockets still suck and will continue to for years to come

D-rock likes this.
  14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Anybody paying attention saw this coming back then. There were reports all over the place about how terrible Tilman was and tons of cost cutting moves that showed we were screwed.

Unless they get lucky in the draft.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope. 100% false. what a ridiculous claim, only a small portion of this board anticipated how bad it would be

I'm definitely not going to ignore all the posts defending all the Tilman moves in the last 3 years and counting, that led to the rockets being dismantled and still being the worst team in the league

D-rock likes this.
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I personally thought it was genius how they decided to move JA to a third team instead of keeping him so then the following free agency period they could give Theis 36 million. To only then trade him after 26 games.

We’re in good hands fellas.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Do you only talk Rockets and basketball with this board? As a collective its not the best group of basketball knowledge and logic plus you have to throw in the homer factor. I said paying attention for a reason. A lot of this board doesn't pay attention.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

weird post and definitely ironic

D-rock likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Great Hands. He found a sucker team

D-rock likes this.
  20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It's only ironic if you assume people's positions instead of actually listening to them. You are so certain about your positions that you assume that questioning them means completely disagreeing with them. I don't fully disagree with a lot of what you say.