1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

I dont think he breaks out with Cavs G League team because Cavs did not view him as a point.

They wanted him to play SF because they were loaded at guard.

But agree to disagree on that point.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

i hope people realize if we got all those players yall wanted to keep instead of the route we went then we wouldnt have the worst record in the league and a chance at a top pick in the draft... the only way anyone should consider it a failure is if we dont land a top 4 pick in the draft... we are trying to rebuild and im interested to see where our future takes us !

Corrosion likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nobody is saying keep those players we could have traded them and still wound up where we are.

D-rock likes this.
  4. fattz

fattz Member

Isn’t that what actually happened?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

?

I'm saying we could have gotten better assets for those guys instead our current savior Olynyk.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  7. DonatelloLimestone

I'm not sure what difference people think these players will be, Allen is young talent. Hes a double double at 23, but now this hyperbole of 'if hes so great where are the wins', no the cavs are still pretty terrible, but hes a talent that can be a part of the big picture. He is also a trade asset with potential.

Levert turnd out to be better than oladipo, the argument when the trade was there was oladipo was an all star so he was better, so why is lever the 'floor raiser'? when it contradicts what they sadi when we flipped him for oladipo. the argument there was contracts. Victor was an expiring contract, the rumors before the season were there was mutual interest with Miami. We couldn't offer in our extension more than miami could clear in just a couple months, we had our backs against the wall since we got him. we only looked for expiring contracts. Atlanta, Thunder when rebuilding took on a bad contract or two to accumulate young assets, thats what you do \.

Then people act like player A comes in and we just have to win. We decide our franchise direction. Their contract is guaranteed and they are supposed to be professional, but Al horford and Thunder just agreed to let him sit. IF we want to take, we tank, we play someone as little or as much as we want. This was about accumulating assets.

Thirdly the first with wood. We have wood for 2 more years and he's 25. When you're the worst team in the league, you don't choose for fit, you get as much talent and assets s you can for trades, keeps, and build what you can. Even then, people have not seen Allen's development. He has gotten more comfortable in his form with the corner 3 and has mentioned his focus on that. More so, lets say wood plays 32 minutes. Thats a 18 right there for allen to make us a 48 minute team, we can stagger them for 5 ere and there and then hes brushing on 30.

When it comes to winning, people overlook the whole 48 minutes. those plus minus evne if you're playing 12 minutes a game sitll make a major outcome to the end of the game.

Where we are, just get talent, give ourself choices, swing for the fences now that we're in rebuild

D-rock, joshuaao and saleem like this.
  8. DonatelloLimestone

I agree when I see the number, but just keep an eye on contracts this and next summer. The money and revenue is grorwing, the max players are on a cap, so the middle class will grow. Its already started and itll keep going. Beltrans, Adams, kennard aren't just exceptions even if not worth it, there will be much more. And rockets are no longer a premier destination. No star is going to want to come with the current affair, either we over pay or either we offer a unique opportunity for touches/minutes they can't get elsewhere. but if all opportunity is the same ,we don't have the advantage we had years ago

9. Nook

Nook Member

I think the Rockets could have gotten more than they did for Allen, but I don't believe in paying guys like Allen or Capela that type of money. There is limited upside there and there are players 80% as good making 25% of the money.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Unprotected 2023 Mil 1st is FAR more valuable than Levert and Allen, both of which are probably worse players than Kelly Olynyk, while also being more expensive.

11. DonatelloLimestone

You still feel that way about Capela? Yes, I get what they do is limited, but now Capela has risen to the highest echelon. Capela has been a major contributor for the hawks making it to the top 5. That might've been tilman's biggest success, that contract negotiated with Capela. We had no leverage, Capela should've fired his agent bc he could've held out at a time we couldn't risk losing more talent. He easily gets a bigger contract if he's a FA this summer. Absolutely dominant on the boards, knows his role and doesn't try to do more, Rim protector, Finisher.

12. DonatelloLimestone

If Milwaulkee could get either of them right now for that pick, they'd do it.

Both players are worth more than a 24th pick. Heck if Allen came out of the draft at 23 with the ability to be a contributor force on the boards and blocks as he is now, he'd be a higher pick in this years draft.

Allen just left last month averaging 24-5-6 at an efficient clip, hes 26 with a tradeable contract. He probably gets a mid first at least. Either way, we wouldn't have had our backs against the wall.

Kelly was incredible here, but at 30 his trade value might not be there and he is unrestricted so who knows what he wants to do. He gets the most shine here, but he may have his last chance for a big contract.

joshuaao likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

$29,467,800. That's Allen's max. That's 4/117.8.

It appears the middle class is growing .... but is it really ? The cap isn't growing with it , at least not going into next year , the cap for next season is ~$112m , a $3m increase. That's not covering the gap between the ~4/60 I'd offer vs the 4/117.8 max.

Now figure in the Supermax contracts ..... 35% of the cap in their first season then 8% raises on top of that. $39.2 for year one in 21/22.

The salary cap is such a balancing act .... Even if you have Lebron or Harden , you still need 8 or 9 quality players. That's been proven a difficult task when you are paying mid tier guys like huge money and even more difficult when Mr Luxury Tax rears his ugly head.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a team that just lost nearly 60 games, you 100% take an unprotected 1st Round pick multiple years into the future.

Milwaukee has no choice but to give them up because If and when Giannis leaves, they are screwed for another two decades.

Jarrett Allen is a mediocre 100 million dollar man and Caris has the knees of a 36-year-old. Mid-first my balls... "At least" LOL...

TLDR:
    Unprotected 2023 1st from ANY TEAM + Kelly Olynyk Bird Rights + Miami Swap
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

15. DonatelloLimestone

Allen won't be getting the max, I don't believe that. We'll see. I think he'll get on par with Steven Adams which will make him a much more solid contract.

Cap next year after 2 years of a covid hit and not full fan base, but the tv hasn't been renegotiated, thats in the works and should provide a significant boos.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/22/nba...hts-increase-and-75-billion-is-the-price.html

I agree, it is a crazy balancing act and bird rights and the ability to spend over and have assets when you do comes into play. Allen's overpaid contract won't be like Wall with his age, with his cap limit, etc. Far far more tradeable, mroe upside etc. Plus theres sign and trades, there was also as we did with oladpio the ability to showcase and trade with a guy that doesn't have a demand to one market and is 29 with injuries, so he could probably have gotten better return than oladipo. Let alone teams doing the balancing act who are cash strapped would've valued him on his rookie contract then the bird rights to extend, teams like the warriors who paid and exorbant amount for kelly oubre and need a 5 could've swooped in or gotten picks, etc.
    simply just more possibilities with allen then with the 24th. Its not an exact science, but I take the young talent and assets to work with at this point of the rockets situation

16. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

What always got lost in the "Miami can just sign him after season" with Oladipo is that Miami would have needed to renounce bird rights to pretty much everyone (including Robinson and Nunn), not exercise team options (like Dragic, Olynyk, etc), and trade almost everyone (Herro and Precious) to clear a max slot.

So if Dipo had gotten here, regained All NBA form, and proven he was a true max player (or at least worth the max in a barren free agent market), Miami could have signed him to a max in the offseason but it would have been Dipo, Butler, Bam and free agents on minimum deals, unless Dipo was willing to take much less than he could otherwise get to play in Miami.

We could have extracted a much better deal from Miami at the deadline than what he got had Dipo lived up to what Stone presumably hoped. Or even trading him to Miami as an S&T so they didn't have to go through all those gymnastics to clear max space. There would have been other suitors too who would have gambled on using his bird rights to resign him.

17. DonatelloLimestone

Remember we weren't signing him to his max too, our extension offer was limited. but basically he could get what hes getting from us, from miami with less of those options. And given thats his chosen destination it would make sense rather then go to our tweener team not contending or somewhere in between.

But either way, once we traded for him, although his agent let the miami be known publicly before the season, we had our backs against hte wall with an expiring contract of an oft injured guard. It was just many loops to jump and to take a leap, and when we made that trade we said he was the best player, he was an all star, then the track switched to we got him bc levert could play us to an 8th seed...since when? No one player of that level is fixing our team to the playoffs, it was just about assets at that point for the future, for contracts, or trades and that gave us much more flexibility.

There are a lot of angles you can find your silver lining if you really want one as you brought up the suns trading picks, but one way or another its in the conversation for the bottom of the barrel for the owners that we're in the range for.

We are where we are now. The big question mark is what happens with Kelly. What price we sign him or sign and trade or I think we'd all agree if he just left clear then looks like we just went after expiring contracts.

18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

That was the most we could offer with an extension before his deal expired, but after the season we could have signed him to the max.

So if Miami didn't go through the gymnastics of renouncing bird rights to Nunn and Robinson, declining the option on Dragic, and trading away Herro and Precious the most they could have signed him for was something like 20 million vs. the 35 million or whatever we could have offered him after the season.

Oladipo over Levert 100% would have been the right call if Dipo could have resembled the player he was two years ago.

The main fair criticism you can make against choosing Dipo over Levert would be arguing that Stone should have known there was no way he was going to regain that form.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Not at their current salaries (or upcoming one for Allen).

20. DonatelloLimestone

I don't think he was getting 35 from anyone and let alone if it played out and we never made the trade, miami is close to offering probably what hell end up getting bar some crazy health, something in the 20s.

Its like saying wall over westbrook is the right call if wall could resemble who he was 2 years ago, but those injuries matter. Its a crap shoot, and there is always a lot of guess work, but for a team in our position I'm not sure it was a prdudent risk to take and the benefit of having old oladpio then having to pay him 35 million as you suggest a max for being the old oladpio at 30 while our team is the way it is. almost in any angle then its even more tough to choose that.

I mean we saw him struggle through 2018-19, then 19-20, start slow this year and somhow expect him to hit 30 and do better and let alone considering the context of our team? It just too far of a reach not to see it as a nother expiring contract.

My fair criticism is of the contracts and assets. Levert is still at 16/17 million ,26, both of them injury risks, why not the younger safer one in terms of assets. Once again, I hardly put this on stone just like I don't put the last 3 deadlines on morey when we had a 90 percent consistency rate of trying to save money when it made 0 basketball sense or didn't help morey with cap flexiblity or future prospects, the team, or anyone but the owner.

It is what it is now. We've got another couple months and we'll see what happens with Kelly olynk and then finally the 24th pick nad of course the date that we've all got circled is june 22nd