1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Garner

Garner Member

I don’t know what is going on this thread, but this post made me laugh out loud.

straight off of /r/iamverybadass

D-rock likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

yeah.

Plus I dont think Wood can defend 4's. I think Allen defensively could cover both spots, but is nowhere close to Wood offensively and just wasnt worth the return on investment given the unknown of a definitive trade at the deadline - might as well just bank the 1st, alleviate the cap and move on. Clearly it hasnt "hurt" the team and guys who feel he is a seamless addition next to Wood at the 4 may feel differently when he's clanging open shot after open shot since he's only taken 11 shots all season outside of 5 feet and has yet to attempt a 3 pointer. Not sure it works with Silas' 5 Out offense.

Boogie is doing his OG thing for this team. When he needs to ball he will, when he needs to play cheerleader he will. Its a cool wrinkle to his maturity. Not sure who you could say is this "leader" of this team since it feels like its just a respect across the board for each other situation, but if you had to choose one I'd probably say Boogie. Wall got his money. Boogie was on the cusp before disaster struck. Im sure guys know that and offer him his due.

Drama is what you make it - this place has many passionate guys/gals sometimes those feelings spill over and at the end everyone wants to win. Hopefully the new era can make everyone forget the old one.

Culture is the trendy topic nowadays and especially in Houston with the drama surrounding all the teams. I believe that WINNING is a culture and not so much how the players are treated or how the internal totem is divided. Winning cures all and when teams going through flux, the future tends to look bleak. Its easy to call into question a plethora of different things that didnt seem so problematic when the team was winning.

Still too early to be overly passionate either way IMO.

Corrosion and basso like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Still stupid they didn’t keep him and settled for a late bucks pick. Where they could have used a rotational center who is only 22 and on a cheap rookie deal still. Hes continuously been productive when given consistent opportunities.

topfive and D-rock like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wonder what kind of contract he will get this off-season.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

This offseason? He’s still under contract for another year on his rookie deal. He’s not officially up until the conclusion of the 21-22 season

#185 YOLO, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Who cares, Rockets would have flipped him at deadline anyway.

And I'd rather pay JA than Dipo 20M.

Heck, Dipo wants double that, wants max.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He’s a FA after this season.

D-rock likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

RFA

Contract Terms
    2019-20: $2,376,840
    2020-21: $3,909,902
    2021:22: $5,661,538 {Team Option}

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  9. Monkeychef02

Monkeychef02 Member

It’s about motivation, if I want something enough I pay for it. Cheap ass Tillman doesn’t want a championship that much to spend. It’s just like his restaurants all show no go
    PS I’m a proud tax paying American.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Stone was super high on Dipo and it was a costly mistake tbh.

I think it's much easier to trade Jarrett Allen than Dipo. Plenty of teams want to go big these days.

D-rock likes this.
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

D-rock likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

D-rock likes this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why did we not keep him again?

Did they think he could not play beside Wall?

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  14. vator

vator Contributing Member

Saving money was the driving force here...as usual up to this point. Jafro is about to get paid.

15. jacoby

jacoby Member

Because since we aren't winning a title, we don't need to focus on acquiring talent on expiring contracts that will cost $30m+ to retain.

Jarrett Allen was never a long-term piece for the Rockets, so they got a pick instead. Christian Wood is our Center, he was quickly improving defensively before his ankle injury. Rocket fans are just being reactionary.

We can't finnese our way out of the disastrous WB trade. We just have to survive it and eventually we will be okay.

16. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

They didn't want to pay him this offseason. That's it. That's the whole reason.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Again folks are trying to justify not keeping Allen bc they don’t want to pay him. So why did the rockets trade for dipo then. They’re not going to pay dipo for sure. He’s cheaper, younger, definitely useful every night. Getting a mere late bucks pick was terrible

D-rock and chadyang like this.
  18. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It's more of an explanation than a justification. They don't want to pay him so they traded him. Maybe they coulda gotten more for him at the deadline but they decided to get something right then and there to avoid the hassle. Even if he they did match whatever contract he would've gotten he probably would've tried to get traded eventually anyway.

D-rock likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

They settled to avoid the hassle which is aka pretty dumb. There were plenty of minutes available for Allen even if wood was playing. Then this entire time he could be on the floor being productive and teams offering more than just a sorry bucks late pick as the deadline nears. All while filling a need for another relevant big on this roster

D-rock likes this.
  20. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It is dumb. The owner is a jabroni bro what do you expect. We shouldn't be confused any time the team does something dumb anymore. As long as the smart move involves spending more money, you can expect we'll be dumb.

Der Rabbi and D-rock like this.