1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Sullinger

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by OremLK, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hard for me to pick 'em. I like both. Robinson's motor is out of this world.

Sullinger has more natural beefcake, which will help him in the pros. It could be his downfall though, if he doesn't work on his body. I don't know how much more weight Robinson can put on and be a high flyer. And IMO, Sullinger has a more refined post game with the ability to see the floor and make better decisions with the basketball. IMO, KU has much better guard play than OSU and this has helped Robinson a lot.

They're almost opposites when it comes to background though. Robinson's mother dying and not having much of a family vs. Jared coming from a coaching environment.

Like I say, I am hoping both teams make it to the Final 4. I think that game will be a war and I'm dying to see them match up against each other.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He isn't half the shooter Love is. I could see more of a Zack Randolph style player at best. I just think his lack of size is extremely concerning for the style in which he plays. In college yes he can dominate in the post because you don't see too many dudes above the 6'10'' range. In the NBA he's going to be going against people with much more size and while his post moves are refined, he doesn't have the explosive athleticism you need to succeed at his size.

3. jopatmc

His body does resemble Zach a whole lot. I see what you're saying there. And he's got a similar offensive reportoire to Zach. Although I think he's got more range than Zach does. You get Zach outside 17 feet and his efficiency goes in the toilet. Sullinger has better range than that.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would say a guy who makes a few all-star games and regularly is right at that borderline level, would be extremely welcome! That's as good of a player as Lowry. Great asset to have on your team.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Carols Boozer?

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've moved off of my initial comparison some. My comparison right now is "Al Jefferson with better intangibles/IQ and less jumping ability". Let's compare 'em up:

Jefferson: 6'9.75" in shoes, 263lbs, 30 inch vertical
    PF/C
    Strengths: Rebounding, creating shots in the low post, knocking down open mid range jumpers, takes care of the ball
    Weaknesses: Lateral agility, fundamentals and effort level on the defensive end, solid but not elite athlete

Sullinger: ~6'10" in shoes, ~260lbs, guessing ~25" vertical
    PF/C
    Strengths: Rebounding, creating shots in the low post, knocking down open jumpers, takes care of ball, high IQ, motor, work ethic
    Weaknesses: Lateral agility, only an average athlete

7. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Wasn't he supposed to go in the top 3 last year?

He's going in the early teens in some mock drafts, wow.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Just 1 question - with Moteijunas coming over - why in the world would we need another PF?????

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sullinger is not 6'10 in shoes. His combine is going to hurt him a lot. He's going to end up a 7-14 pick and have to carve out a niche for himself as a Craig Smith/Dejuan Blair type, except he's not half as strong as those two. Great post moves and work ethic though. We'll see how far it takes him.

10. jopatmc

More assets. Remember if we get DWill, we are going to try to get Dwight. We may need to trade for Dwight. And if we don't get DWill, we're still going to try to get Dwight. We'll need good young talent to play with Dwight.

And if we don't get Dwight but we get Gasol, we still need a good young duo of bigs to play with Gasol.

And if......

You don't pass up the opportunity to grab a player that has the potential to be a franchise player.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's somewhere in that range. I suspect he's 6'9.5" in shoes. He hasn't been officially measured yet so it's impossible to say exactly how tall he is.

12. Zfan

Zfan Member

This kid has a butt of Charles Barkley. I bet him will be a brutal force in nba.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Sullinger hasn't been 260 since 8th grade.LOL!

No way 260lbs is accurate. Jared needs to shed some pounds. Good player though.

14. MrJason

MrJason Member

DeJuan Blair 2.0

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

He recently lost a lot of weight and is back around 260 again

16. jopatmc

Oh my.......

Robinson flat going off against NC.

17. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Robinson's got a great motor, but I think he's going to have trouble at the next level if he wants to play PF being undersized.

I would chance on Sully waaaaaay before I would on Robinson. JS just has a natural feel, and touch TR doesn't(TR's like a short Alonzo Mourning without the shot-blocking).

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Robinson is 6'10 in shoes either a 7 foot Wingspan and is a solid 245 I dnt see how that's undersized compared to sullinger who might even be shorter. I think come draft time robinson is gonna be a top 3 pick. he's just like Blake griffin with better defense not great but better that griffins. If he develops a outside shot he's gonna be a monster top 3 pf in the nba. His ball handling is what is special for a player his size.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Great discussion and very informative. Thanks, guys.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm not sure why people keep saying DeJuan Blair as

1) A comparison
    2) A negative comparison

Sullinger is a couple inches taller than Blair, so if anything, he would be a rich man's Blair. Let's not forget that Blair is only 22 and is a very productive bench player in his 3rd year in the league... he may turn into a very, very good starter eventually.

I would be thrilled to get a 2 inches taller, rich man's Dejuan Blair... I think that sounds like a guy who will go to a few all star games.