1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Sullinger

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by OremLK, Feb 29, 2012.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

their track record hasnt been the best lately

oden
    conley (though not bad but now overpaid and probably not the #3 pick he should have been grizzlies would have been far better off keeping lowry over him)
    bj mullens - i think he may have had some decent games this season with charlotte but he was the #1 hs prospect coming out his senior year
    evan turner - guy was supposed to be a stud at #2 overall and he was big in college hasnt really made an impact yet on that sixers team

daquen cook - forgot him (i try to forget players with the last name cook) - he has had a decent nba career so far but i dont know if he'll be given a contract after his rookie one expires if he does it probably be a small sized one

was jimmy jackson the last osu standout??

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Wow! Guess I'll have to pay more attention. I've watched Sullinger play a couple of games and didn't see anything that screamed he would be special in the NBA. I'll make a point to watch him at MSU Saturday and during the Big Ten tourney.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Before the season, OKC re-signed Cook for 2yrs/$6.5 million

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

You do not draft a big man in the top 5 unless you view him developing into a game-changing force on defense. Sullinger gives no indication that will ever happen.

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Sullinger became a Rocket, I'd buy his jersey.

6. QazQay

QazQay Member

Sullinger would be a very good player at PF. A little short, but he looks like he has a big wingspan and I don't think that would be a big issue. He's also a good fit in the Rockets system, but I'm not sure we have the room at that spot for him.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He's the type of player, the Rockets would be enamored with. Though, I have to say he's a little high on the draft boards. To me, he is sort of like Perry Jones or Meyers Leonard, I wouldn't take them in the top 8 or so. Though after 11-12, I would pick them instantly, especially Perry Jones (he might better off going back to school).

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

There are lots of great PFs that don't dominate defensively. Love, Nowitski, Gasol, Amare, Aldridge, and Zach Randolph are all amongst the best players of their drafts.

1 person likes this.
  9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If you are looking for them to be the Numero star around whom to build a championship. It is not the best move. Best player of their draft may be something, but for a true championship leader historically your post player star has to dominate the defensive side of the floor.

If not, you still have a huge hole that has to be filled on your team.

Gasol won but only as the supporting star to Kobe. He really had to change who was those years and concentrate on defense and rebounding which were not his forte previously.

Dirk won, but only after Dallas got Chandler who had his best defensive season ever last year and changed the mindset of that team. His offensive game is also an exception because he is not true post player. He get the ball on the wing and create.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You have to say Dallas also had a nice little roster.

The pieces have to be in place for such a player to win. Even KG who is about as well rounded as you can get needed pieces around him to win.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

God, it was frustrating watching him in Minnesota. So much from one guy, and so little coming elsewhere. I always thought he was the best PF in the game (Timmy's a C.) and people would immediately spit out " no rings, he's a loser ". Glad he won one before he was done.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Double post, but, Michael Redd.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I am pumped for OSU/MSU about to start. Let's see if Sullinger can deliver the goods today.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Your prediction will be wrong. Goodness gracious. Sullinger will have plenty of problems scoring in the NBA. There are two major problems: He's slow and can't jump. Those are two lethal issues.

This is based seeing him a few times this year and the first 30 minutes of today's Michigan State game.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah....

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm with you on this. I think he will have trouble with Taller bigs. Sullinger lacks burst and Athleticism. I like that he has a solid base and uses his it to seal off defenders, has a pretty good touch and solid rebounder. Though not a bad passer, I wouldn't say he's plus in that dept., he's awful recognizing the double team and right now that's how you effectively defend him.

Guy has talent, by no means am I saying he's a scrub. There is a chance he'll be good at the next level, but I think he'll be average to slightly above average.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think Sullinger is a fatter, much more skilled, more motivated version of Sheldon Williams. When Williams got to the NBA and wasn't 100% stronger than his opponent every game, he had nothing to fall back on. I knew he would be a failure. Sullinger has skill and savvy to help him succeed. But his slowness and lack of hops will be a big problem. I give him a chance to be an effective rotation player.

jopatmc, IIRC, you were also a Sheldon Williams guy. At least you didn't predict HOF for him.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No, you've got me confused with somebody else. I thought Sheldon was taken way too high at #5. I did think he would be good defensively. But Sheldon is a totally different player than Sullinger. Sullinger is an offensive machine, can get his own shot, can post up and step out and shoot it. Sheldon always got his points off passes from guards, etc. He was not a guy you could give the ball to and he go get a good shot or create a double team and a mismatch on offense.

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sully played like a monster today against Michigan.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I like Jared Sullinger a lot. I think he'll have to convert to at least a 4/5 if not a straight out PF, but he's just too good in the blocks and has moves with his back to the basket. I think he'll transition somewhere in between Hansbrough and Love. If Scola can be a 15-8 guy with a 4 inch vertical, I have to think Sullinger can do the same.