1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Sullinger

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by OremLK, Feb 29, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DscQ0iUmLFA

This guy is ridiculously strong, great hands, fantastic touch. He can even shoot the three ball a little, and he's only 19.

His ceiling seems like Kevin Love + Chuck Hayes. I think he's going to be an all-star center even though he's only 6'10" in shoes.

2. Pete the Cheat

I have seen him listed anywhere from 6'8" to 6'10". He seems like the kind of below the rim, hard nosed PF that has been effective for this team. But definitely not the answer at C. Funny -- the below article compares the upside of his game to Scola...

a nice write up for some background:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/12...t-toolbox-jared-sullinger-ohio-state-buckeyes

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

If Chuck Hayes can play center then I'm pretty sure Sullinger can. Sullinger reminds me of Chuckwagon in that his best assets on defense are his strength and skill. Except he's 3-4 inches taller than Hayes. On offense, he can shoot, has a great touch, draws fouls, etc.

What I love about him is that he has a ridiculous work ethic and great bball IQ. He's very much a Moreyball type player. He slots into the same mold as Kyle Lowry from the intangibles perspective. He's the kind of guy where you can feel confident he will reach his potential and probably exceed it and blow everyone's expectations away.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's funny how 6'10 in shoes is all of sudden short for a PF, which is his position.

Heck, even 6'8 is ok (though in shoes, getting a little on the small size).

He strikes me as the upside/upgraded version (potentially) of DeJuan Blair, Paul Millsap type.

He should have a solid if not great NBA career. Maybe a couple of all-star games. Definitely not a superstar or HOFer. But worst case I think would be a solid starter.

I guess he could balloon up, though, and crap out.

Alternatively, he could beef up his 3 point shot a bit, and become a real dynamic, multiple all star type PF. I do not watch enough of his games to gauge his rebounding, defense, shot-blocking, but have seen enough to know they are all solid. I don't think he becomes a Kevin Love type rebounder, but can he get you close to 10 a night? Sure.

#4 JayZ750, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. Pete the Cheat

Scola is getting minutes for us at the 5 right now...
    I am not saying he would be incapable, rather his natural NBA position is the 4. he definitely fits the mold of what we have been building (I mean that in a good way). I will take grit over potential any day.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Height-wise he is more of a 4, but how many 4s are there in the league who are 260+ pounds of muscle? Especially at age 19. I know he is a bit short for a center but I think he would fit better there where he can use his strength to his advantage on defense, like Chuck did. I can see him being a disruptive post defender against centers with practice--not a shotblocker but a very good man defender--but I can't see him ever having the lateral agility to stop face-up PFs.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I predict he will never be an All-Star.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Drafting a 6-foot-9 power forward... a Houston Rockets Tradition :)

I do think Sullinger will be a good player and agree his strength is a plus. I wonder what his measurables on athleticism will be... seems to be fairly grounded, though I may be wrong. Also, will he keep the weight off -- he lost weight and got in better shape this year. He's also coming off a couple of bad games and has gotten some criticism this year.

Still, Morey loves those high school bluechippers.

By the way, here is batkins' <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=211740">Jared Sullinger Highlights</a> thread. I don't know if these should be merged or not.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Thanks Clutch... I checked the last couple pages and didn't see a thread for him anywhere so that's why I made a new one. My mistake

10. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I remember an analysis somewhere said "Is he going to be the next (can't remember the good player they compared him to) or the next Michael Sweetney?"

...Then the Michael Sweetney pictures came out

11. BoomTown

BoomTown Member

If we draft an undersized power forward, it better be Thomas Robinson...

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I haven't seen much of this guy, except from what I've seen in you tube video's and a couple of games. But based on my limited perspective he seems like he could develop into an Al Jefferson type of player. Definitely has the same dimensions....

BTW - Draft-express has his official measurements at 6'10 w/shoes, weighing in at 281 and a 7'1 wingspan. They also project him as a center.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I predict he will be a hall of famer.

14. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

What does DD predict? The opposite is always deadly accurate.

15. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

Just give Bud some more time and he'll be an allstar... he's just in an eternal long slump right now alright? :eek:

16. dd89

dd89 Member

Jared Sullinger.

Not another lin thread, come on guys stop it..

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sullinger is not undersized and has never been undersized. His frame has carried 280 lbs and allowed him to play very effectively. Now, he's down to a svelte 245-250 and he's doing even better.

What you have to understand about basketball and youngsters is skill levels and dedication and commitment to the game. This guy has all the skills already. He can shoot the J and he is the most effective low post back to the basket players in the college game. This guy has a post game that is better than the vast majority of professional power forwards.....right now! And he's still very young. Speed up a couple years and you've got a top notch power forward....barring injury of course, the one thing that nobody can predict.

Will he have to control his weight? Of course he will. You can see the Barkley in him there. But if he just does that, he will likely go down as one of the top 10 PFs to ever play the game. Because his skill set is off the charts.

18. lr22

lr22 Member

He's strong enough to guard NBA center maybe, but strength and height are completly different things. We all learned this from Chuck. He was a great defender but it is also true that he sometime struggled for his lack of height.

And Sullinger lacks quickness to guard NBA PF. This is why I think he is not promissing, I won't be surprised if he struggles to find good PT in NBA.
    I haven't watched his game much, so I may be wrog though:p

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sullinger is a lot bigger than Chuck though

20. 45souf

45souf Member

Greg oden has ruined all basketball players from osu.