1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Jeffries suddenly much more attractive?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glendelicious, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Well, attractive might not be the right word; Jeffries is an annual finalist for the Gheorghe Muresan Award. But now that the Rockets pulled off the (awesome) Martin deal, I'm down for using Kenny Thomas' big fat expiring contract for Jeffries and picks. With Martin on the books, we won't have cap space for a few years, so getting picks is the best way to add cheap talent.

Also, Jeffries isn't a stiff. He does a very solid job of guarding either forward spot, and though he shoots like my sister, he passes and picks very nicely. Yeah, he's paid about twice what he's worth, but for one season, who cares?

Also, before getting Martin, getting Jeffries meant definitely not getting an elite player in this summer--a significant sacrifice. But now that that's not an issue, I would think the Rockets should be fine easing up on their demands a little, if need be. What's it, one pick and Hill or two picks? Well, remember Les was willing to pay $6 million for three 2nd round picks last summer. How much is the package they can get from the Knicks worth?

Anyway, the Jeffries deal just seems like a no-brainer to me. What do you think?

1 person likes this.
  2. mms

mms Member

Interesting. It's like buying a 1st rounder for 6m. Is that cheap?

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I rather Morey first tries to trade our EC for Jordan Hill. :D

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

it depends. Where would you rank hill? If its lottery (where he was drafted) its cheap. If its late 1st round-2nd round (where he belongs), then its expensive. But its not our money so who cares if the rox spend more :p

The question is the expiring good enough for the Knicks to part with Hill? If it is and we end up with both Hill and Martin I'd say its a great trade

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

No. The rockets making this Martin trade means they have confidence in next season. They won't take back a garbage contract like Jeffries'.

6. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

All I got from this was that your sister shoots like a person who earns 6.9 million dollars / yr.

:D

7. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Well, Hill doesn't get on the floor enough for anyone to really know what he can do - now and how he projects, but what I read says he's very athletic and pretty raw. Eh, we don't have a huge surplus of 6'10 forwards - Hilton Armstrong doesn't count - and rookie contracts provide plenty of time for development.

8. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Well, OK, that's not quite true. My sister isn't all that great at hitting the rim; Jeffries is actually pretty good at hitting the side of the rim.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The thing is that Jeffries is an excellent defender at the 4 with GENUINE length.

What could we send with Cook to make it happen though?

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

We have Hayes already. I don't think he is better than Hayes.

11. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Are the kings willing to take Jeffries? If they are then they don't need the rockets and can take whatever NY offers them.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would still like to see us get Hill, especially now that Landry is gone.

13. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

If the reports that just came out are true, that we get Jeffries, can swap this year's and get next year's first rounder, that's fine with me. I wonder if there's lotto protection.