1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Japan Marks WWII Surrender

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 15, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am glad to see that Naoto Kan no longer commemorates the end of WWII at the Yasakuni Shrine and that his government has expressed greater remorse for their actions during WWII than previous Japanese governments have.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4414151...pan-marks-surrender-anniversary/#.Tkkk92HSzHo

'Deep sadness': Japan marks surrender anniversary
    'We caused great suffering and pain to many countries,' PM says

TOKYO — Japan marked the 66th anniversary of its surrender in World War II on Monday with somber remembrances across the country and a memorial in Tokyo led by the emperor. The ceremonies come as the country struggles to recover from this year's devastating earthquake and tsunami.

Emperor Akihito, whose father made the unprecedented 1945 national radio address announcing the war could not be won, offered prayers for the dead and hopes for peace at Monday's memorial in Tokyo. Prime Minister Naoto Kan also attended.

The annual ceremonies cap a series of remembrances of the war's disastrous final months. Gatherings are also held each year for the anniversaries of the bloody battle of Okinawa in June and the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, both in early August.

"We again feel a deep sadness for those who died and for their families," Akihito said before a bank of yellow and white chrysanthemums erected in memory of the dead. "Looking back on history, we fervently hope not to repeat the tragedy of war."

This year the memorial was particularly poignant for Japan, which is struggling to recover from the magnitude 9.0 March 11 earthquake and tsunami that left more than 20,000 people dead or missing, touched off a nuclear crisis and caused scenes of destruction reminiscent of the devastation seen in 1945.

Kan said Japan should use its experience in rebuilding after its World War II defeat as a lesson that it can recover from the March disaster.

"Since the war, our nation has overcome many difficult times," he said. "Using this experience, the devastated areas, and our nation itself, will recover strongly from the disaster."

While the anniversary in Japan is an inward-directed occasion to remember and honor its own dead, the day continues to evoke bitter memories across Asia of Japan's brutal militarist exploits.

Revisionism?
    Visits by senior politicians to a Tokyo war shrine on the anniversary have often inflamed those lingering wounds and are closely scrutinized around the region. The Shinto shrine honors the 2.5 million Japanese war dead, including Class A war criminals such as Hideki Tojo, and is seen by many as a center of Japanese revisionism.

But for the second time, Kan stayed away from Yasukuni this year.

Last year — when Kan was still new at the helm and trying to improve ties with Japan's Asian neighbors — was the first time since the end of World War II that the entire Japanese Cabinet avoided visiting Yasukuni on Aug. 15.

Instead, Kan officially laid a wreath Monday morning at a different war memorial in Tokyo that is not associated with Yasukuni.

At Monday's main service, held at a martial arts and concert hall, he reiterated Japan's remorse for the suffering it caused in Asia.

"We caused great suffering and pain to many countries, especially in Asia, in the war and we must deeply reflect, while paying our respects to the many victims and their families," he told the 7,200 people who attended.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

About 60 years too late. ***** Japan until they apologize for all the monstrosity they caused against the Korean people during their occupation and fix their history books.

3. VanityHalfBlack

^ But they made up for it with their zombie tit women movies and the recent world cup???

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

They've still got a way to go but I am glad to see they are making progress.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Three of their cities got obliterated by atomic weapons.
    I'd call it even.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

So Hilter should be put in a Shrine in Germany and German government officials should visit the shrine every year. That should be fine with you as well.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It was more like one and a half to be accurate but it was terrible. There is no doubt that Japan and Germany paid a very very heavy price for WWII but that doesn't excuse the fact that they started the conflicts and largely its for their own benefit that they acknowledge and remember that history.

Millions of Germans died, Dresden, Hamburg and Berlin were essentially leveled while Germany was divided for almost 50 years. None of that though stopped the Germans from taking responsibility for their war time history. The Japanese have for most of their postwar history not done that and have often talked more about the horror of the atomic bombing than what they did. For most people the Nazis were the ultimate evil yet forget that the Japanese Imperial Army were more brutal on the battlefield and also systematically engaged in atrocities to captured people. The line about The Holocaust "Never Again" should apply just as much to what the Imperial Army did.

Personally I have nothing against the Japanese people but as long as they don't live up fully to their history this will be a continuing sore point between them and the countries that they occupied.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Exactly, but people only remember how terrible the Germans were but don't give a damn about what the Japanese did during WWII in this country and Europe. If the Germans did what the Japanese had done (alter history book, worship war criminals), just watch Europe and United States start screaming bloody murder.

Even to this day Nazis are still being prosecuted around the world while Japanese war criminals could be elected to government posts in Japan and many lived a fine live after WWII.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This +100000

The Japanese did some terrible things that westerners don't know about (rape stations, human experiments, torture and murder akin to the Nazi's) to the Koreans and Chinese, just to a smaller scale than the Nazi's.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

So, has Chairman Mao been moved to an unmarked grave like Stalin yet?

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

The history books really aren't that widespread as the media makes it out to be - I don't know any of my friends who've actually used them. Come on, most of the younger generation understands that running amok 70 years ago wasn't that smart ( the older generation that was born after the war not so much), and if anything they've tilted too far the other way from my perspective. I don't have a problem with the Yasukuni visits - they are for ALL the Japanese soldiers who died, not just the war criminals, and until China and the rest of the Asia made a mess out of it, it was more simply paying respects to the dead and not a nationalistic endorsement - something which I think is perfectly with EVERYONE. Is a Christian to be condemned for praying for the soul of Bin Laden or Hitler? Because that's what it is closer to, and not some "Rah rah we're reestablishing the Empire."

12. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Have some respect for those who died for August 15th (including the scores of Marines that made it possible), and kindly refrain from mentioning this crap again in this thread.

The Japanese may not have been as systematic, but they were as brutal or even more brutal than the Nazis. Up to 20 million Chinese died in WW2, some under the most horrific conditions imaginable.

So it's good to see Japan begin to take responsibility. Both sides need to move on from this mess, and if Japan is showing initiative, I hope it happens even faster.

#12 Northside Storm, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  13. Northside Storm

I also don't think people in general can even begin to get into the depths of how brutal Japan was in WW2.

I guess it's a matter of exposure. The Holocaust is more or less sacred ground for Western societies, who conversely have no idea about the rape of Nanking, or other atrocities committed in occupied countries.

One of the last people to try on the public stage (Iris Chang) ended up committing suicide. You delve too deep into this stuff, it will destroy you.

So, yes, the easy thing is to say "let's all just move on, eh?". but it isn't that simple. I guess ideally, all wounds heal with time, but these are sore, festering wounds. You can't just move on that quickly.

Extremely disturbing stuff in spoiler tags, don't say I didn't warn you.

Hopefully, with Japan showing some remorse, the process will be accelerated. But I don't think most people realize how deep the hurt can go, or how traumatizing the subject material can be.

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

To be fair, one of the biggest differences was the Allied occupation of Germany. Specifically the Allied forces instituted massive propaganda campaigns that not only made it very clear that the Nazis were wrong but also introduced the notion of shared responsibility. The American literature made it clear that every German that didn't stand up to Hitler was partially responsible for the rise of the Nazis. This was aired on the radio, posted throughout Germany and even put into the history textbooks. The Americans (along with other allies) went out of their way to emphasize just how horrible the Nazis were and that every German should own up to it. A lot of the modern German laws such as banning Mein Kampf and Nazi parties trace back to the Allied regimes forcing the West Germans to implement those laws.

In contrast, Japan already had a very proud culture and was never subjected to the same forced education so it became easy for politicians to manipulate the story. I'm not suggesting that without the introduction of the American narrative of the holocaust that Germany would have replicated Japan but I'm not sure Germany would be as critical of its past.

Either way, yes Japan needs to own up to World War II. Their atrocities were as bad if not worse than the German's.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

and after dumping thousands of tons of radioactive plutonium-laced water into the pacific, it seems that once again they will have caused great suffering and pain to many countries

16. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

We had an exchange student once in HS. An American student asked her question about WWII and she started crying.

The truth is Japan at that time, was socially pre19th century but technically 20th century. They industrialized in a far faster pace then their way of thinking did, with things like democracy, individualism and cruelity (you should read up on Spanish inquisition... horrible).

If I had to guess, they know about it, but are too ashamed to admit it, because they're a completely different society now. They don't view themselves that way anymore.

This reminds me a little of what's going on in China right now. It's going to be interesting seeing how they will develope. I remember a white professor telling me "China is authoritaritian but not totolitarian". She also said it's made of "gangsters".

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

WTF are you talking about? What does the strange Chinese obsession with vilifying the Japanese while excusing Mao have to do with Marines?

Also, kindly don't tell me what to post or not post. If you don't like my posts, you are free to use the ignore list, fume impotently, or just piss off.

18. Northside Storm

There's Chinese students who died to protest the continuation of Mao's regime, and who would be equally incensed about the Japanese getting damn close to killing their grandparents.

Regardless, what does the "Chinese obsession with Mao" have to do with a thread about JAPAN'S SURRENDER? I can tell you that dead Marines who sacrificed their lives to achieve that have a hell of a lot more to do with the topic at hand.

Anyways, you're free to post your garbage, just like I'm free to tell you to stop because, well, quite frankly, it's disrespectful garbage that has nothing to do with the thread, and stereotypes an entire nation. If you don't want to heed that, so be it.

19. dback816

dback816 Member

Going for Troll of the Year trophy already ?

You're definitely a candidate alright, considering this post alone is dumber than half the Islam related posts here in DD

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes Mao did many evil things and was directly and indirectly responsible for the deaths of millions but that doesn't excuse the what the Japanese did. Further Mao's actions have no bearing on what the Japanese did in Korea and other parts of Asia, lets also not forget to American POWs.

I often see this Mao brought up when this issue is brought up well its as relevant as Sherman's March to the Sea when Wounded Knee is discussed.