1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jan 4th Games

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BrooksBall, Jan 4, 2010.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Westbrook was a SG in college, not a PG. Presti took a chance drafting the guy as an NBA PG. He's making strides and has the tools to be a truly dominant NBA PG, but I think it will take him a few years to figure it out. He spent the summer working on his outside shot, which much-improved over last year.

All in all, consistency is Westbrook's primary problem. His still disappears from too many games. (Jeff Green does also). When he shoots the ball well, the Thunder are very hard to beat because he's unguardable. One of these years it's going to click for Westbrook and people that don't follow the Thunder are going to say" WOW! Where did he come from?"

James Harden is going to be a very good player in the NBA. Like Ibaka, he's another guy on the Thunder who has made huge strides since the season started. His jumper needs to become more consistent. Harden's court savvy, vision, passing ability and bball IQ are off the charts for a rookie who's only played 35 NBA games. Tyreke Evans is far ahead of him now but Harden might be a better fit for the Thunder. He might develop into that 2nd scorer the Thunder need oh so badly. He plays much better in a team system than Evans.

The Thunder completed the month of December at 9-6, their first month with a winning record. Before the season, December was supposed to be their most difficult month. They now stand 19-15. Last season they started the season 3-29.

What a difference a year makes.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

I watched this game. Russell Westbrook went off. I like his game though. His biggest problem is field goal % and turnovers though.

OKC are exciting to watch.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

A3,

I've heard he's worked on his jumpshot. Even with that work, he has a ways to go.

Check out some of his percentages.

His adjusted FG% is the worst of all qualified NBA PGs: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stati...e=nba&split=0&season=2010&seasontype=2&pos=pg

His 2P% is second worst to Jennings': http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stati...e=nba&split=0&season=2010&seasontype=2&pos=pg

His overall FG% (which is less significant than ADJ FG%) is tied for worst: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stati...e=nba&split=0&season=2010&seasontype=2&pos=pg

He's also near the bottom in PPS, which tells me that his ability to get to the line isn't compensating for his poor shooting as is the case for a guy like Billups (no longer qualifed but he'd be right near the top): http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stati...it=0&season=2010&seasontype=2&avg=none&pos=pg

I didn't realize he was a SG in college. I didn't know much about him before the draft. That would explain a lot though. I don't get the sense that he'll ever have the composure and decision-making skills that most of the better PGs possess but who knows, he's so young that it's probably unfair to make that assessment.

The bottom line is he's such an exceptional athlete and physical specimen that if he can cover up his weaknesses enough to play the position, he'll be a very good player at this level. His bread and butter seems to be attacking the basket, offensively, while defensively, the sky is the limit. He could end up being the best defensive PG in the game if he sets his mind to it with that size, length and quickness. He's also a tremendous rebounder for a guard.

#43 BrooksBall, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Westbrook will never be a PG along the lines of Nash, D-Will, CP3. He will dominate on defense, penetration, rebounding, etc. KD and (hopefully Harden) will negate the need for Westbrook to be a conventional PG. Those two give him the ability to play off the ball and roam on a regular basis. Don't be surprised if he becomes an 18/7/7 PG in the future.

His jumper is inconsistent. If he develops a consistent 12-15 foot shot, turn out the lights. You saw tonight how good he is when it's falling. Give him a couple more years because this PG stuff is still new to him. His efficiency will improve. You might remember him from UCLA's Final Four team in 2008 where he played off-guard next to Darren Collison (of the Hornets). Kevin Love (who got all the attention) was on that team along with Luc Mbah a Moute (Bucks). Westbrook was the only one who showed up when they got whacked by Memphis (D-Rose, CDR, Joey Dorsey).

5. HoustonRockets

damn Juwan Howard with a facial......Dunk of the night.

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I vaguely remember hearing his name now that you mention Kevin Love and the Final Four.

Either way, Westbrook is an amazing athlete. I'm interested to see how he develops both as an individual and within the team concept.

Speaking of that, I don't imagine the Thunder will be able to keep Durant, Green, Westbrook and Harden together in the long run. I imagine Green is at least one of the odd men out. If Westbrook and Harden both happen to blow up, I wonder if they'll even be able to afford those two along with Durant.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes but they beat a conference rival with a better record. :)

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Bigger surprise: Rockets at 20-14 or the Thunder at 19-15?

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't see why they can't keep them all together. KD is a max player but none of the other 3 will be. In fact, none of the others should be anything close to max unless they really go to another level fast. I see the Thunder's future core as KD, Westbrook, Green, Harden, Sefalosha, Maynor and Ibaka. If all of them continue to fit with their plans, I don't see why all won't be with the Thunder 3-4 years from now. KD is the only max/near-max player. Westbrook is the other one who could develop into a star but he won't be there soon.

Green could be the odd guy out but despite his inconsistency, he fits very well on that team. He doesn't take shots away from anybody, has an all-around skillset, plays defense and rebounds fairly well.

And, again, the Thunder robbed the Jazz of Maynor. A sick trade.

10. icewill36

icewill36 Member

definitely the thunder. they are sitting in the 8th seed right now. who would have thought a team that was so horrible last year would have a .560 win percentage right now ?

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not saying that I disagree. It's just the Rockets are a team full of role players, whereas the Thunder legitimately have superstar talent. I guess whoever finishes the season strongest takes the cake for this honor (as well as Coach of the Year).

12. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Do you have NBA League Pass? Sometimes you can get both feeds?

13. VampirePp

VampirePp Member

I am confused that what relationship between vampire and Carl Herrara also i do not understand what you are talking about "interesting".I have make a wrong reply in this NBA dish forum?