1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jan 4th Games

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BrooksBall, Jan 4, 2010.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

More like a lucky banker from nearly half court after the Jazz had only been able to score 8 points up to that point in the quarter.

On a side note, Paul continues to struggle shooting versus the Jazz and it's not like it's the Jazz defense. Paul is simply missing shots he normally makes. He missed a point blank layup and several wide open shots. I'm starting to think it really is a physchological thing about playing against his buddy, Deron.

All his other numbers remain consistent when playing the Jazz. It's just the shooting for some odd reason. I think that issue will eventually correct itself but it's been almost 14 games now.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ugghh. This game is a prime example of what I was talking about the other day with the Hawks being mentally incompetent. Athletically and talentwise they're just as good as Cleveland, Boston, Orlando or whoever -- and anytime they play one of those teams they're always right in there. The problem is they can't close out games, they're mentally soft and VERY prone to hanging their heads and getting into funks. Right now they're in the midst of a four game losing streak based almost solely off of intangibles alone, IMO. That Cleveland game where they got royally jobbed and robbed of a victory literally killed their confidence. Now, it's up to Mike Woodson to stop the bleeding and get this team believing in themselves again. I love JJ but if he were a top-tier NBA player he would put a stop to this. Instead, he's just a very good second banana that isn't a very vocal leader.

Harden doesn't suck. Evans is obviously having a way better rookie year and is the more flashy player, but make no mistake about it: Harden is going to be a very good player in this league. His feel for the game, playmaking abilities and shooting stroke make him a quality player alone. Just wait until he gets more comfortable and gets some experience underneath his belt.

3. BrooksBall

Well said, baller.

I get the same sense about the missing intangibles, starting with JJ. JJ is as talented as any other wing player in the league but he just seems to be missing that fire. There is nothing wrong with being Joe Cool. Tim Duncan isn't a very demonstrative player. Not every star has to be an extrovert. What matters is what you do on the court when your team needs you. He needs to step up his intensity at times and I think that includes being more vocal. The problem is he's almost 30 now and he probably won't ever change.

I saw that game against Cleveland. That shot clock mismanagement was a joke. Did the Hawks protest? That was a game-changing error. One possession in that kind of game is huge.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DWill doing work, but Devin Brown is going crazy!!!

5. baller4life315

Yeah, they filed an official protest and they had every right to. For those unfamiliar: Atlanta up 99-98 with under two minutes left, they rebound the ball but the morons in control forget to reset the shot-clock. Hawks forced to hurry which leads to a turnover that ultimately lead to Cleveland scoring on that possession. Totally unacceptable.

6. BrooksBall

I hope the replay is granted.

Somebody posted the history of games that ended up being replayed in that GARM thread about the Mavericks' protest.

Do you know if there is precedence for this type of mistake being protested and, if so, how it was handled?

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

DOWNTOWN DEVIN BROWN is working the Jazz. I can't believe the Jazz are outside looking on the playoff bracket currently. Im starting to believe PG led teams just cant compete for the title

8. BrooksBall

Paul with the game-clinching steal off Williams and a drive and finish at the other end. Unbelievable!

The Jazz had big time numbers after a West turnover. It was a 3 or 4-on-1 and Paul read Williams' bounce pass. Amazing!

He had yet another poor shooting night versus the Jazz, continuing his career trend, but did all the other stuff as usual.

Wow!

9. BrooksBall

Paul's anticipation at both ends of the court is amazing.

You guys have got to see that steal if you haven't already.

Paul improves to 3-11 versus Williams and the Jazz. Still a long way to go but I'm sure Hornets fans are loving it.

10. baller4life315

Nah, not off the top of my head. The only replay granted that comes to mind is that whole Shaq 5th foul thing a year or two back. Hopefully, the NBA does the right thing and also sends a message that filing these protests for legitimate reasons can actually lead to something productive happening.

P.S. Devin Brown going for 30? How the hell does that happen?!

11. BrooksBall

A3,

You watching the Blazers game?

It seems like both teams just went about 4 or 5 minutes without missing a shot. That was nuts. Just about everything was all net.

12. BrooksBall

The Clippers announcers are so bad and clueless it makes me want them to lose no matter who they're playing.

Their commentary on plays are often so inaccurate it's laughable.

Their analysis of opposing teams and players is even worse.

13. VampirePp

VampirePp Member

Go Rockets,Go!

14. VampirePp

VampirePp Member

Root for Paul...and hate Deron fatguy.

15. BrooksBall

Interesting...

Not because it's the wrong forum but because somebody mentioned the word "vampire" in Carl Herrera's thread. I'm guessing these were probably the only two instances where the word "vampire" ever appeared in the NBA Dish and I don't think there is any relationship between the two instances.

What the heck am I talking about?

16. BrooksBall

Juwan Howard's defense is atrocious.

He's getting walked around and blowing assignments left and right.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Got sidetracked this evening and didn't see anything after the 3rd quarter of the Thunder/Bulls game.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Overall good day for the Rox...Jazz and Blazers lose :D

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When Bayless is hitting from outside, he is an almost unstoppable lethal weapon. The problem is when his shot reverts to form, he hurts the Blazers. Those 2-3 games where he shot the ball like Steve Nash have caused him to shoot more jumpers since then, instead of always attacking the rim. The result is he's been very inconsistent. At some point he needs to figure out what he does best (drive and attack) and make that the first option. His outside shot will never be consistent until he starts putting more air under the ball.

Bayless has shown enough to prove he's a keeper but I'd like to see him play with more maturity and make better decisions.

20. BrooksBall

The Jazz lost to one of our divisional foes.