1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jamie Rootes resigns

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Feb 10, 2021.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I probably have this wrong, but it sounds like your argument is that because Korn Ferry recommended BOB that it is 100% sure their outcome would be worse than Cal and Easterby freewheeling?

2. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Korn Ferry recommended Andy Reid to KC. That equaled a Superbowl.

Just because they recommended O'Brien as ONE of the 3 candidates, doesn't mean KF = O'Brien.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Only person who can is this lady

[​IMG]

If anything happens to her we/the Texans are officially screwed because then the team becomes Cals. Until then, all we can do is hope and pray she comes to her senses and asks Cary to take over the team.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

And Rafer Alston doesn't miss 100% of his floaters. That doesn't make it a good shot.

Yes, they "hit" on the Chiefs hiring the wildly successful Andy Reid. They really plucked him out of obscurity! To be fair they also take credit for Bruce Arians in Tampa. That's despite Bruce Arians publicly coming out and ASKING to interview for the job because he knew Jason Licht. But whatever.

But it's probably not fair of me to say they suck at recommendations. Clearly they've hit on some.

They wanted the Texans to hire Brian Schotteinheimer as head coach this year allegedly. You would prefer them keeping swinging at the Korn Ferry tree. I for one take it as a positive they went somewhere different this time.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sometimes I get tired of eating at Burger Barn, too. But when dad takes us out for dogsh*t tacos instead I'm usually nostalgic for Burger Barn pretty quickly.

Ottomaton likes this.
  6. Sooty

I dropped a stat, you dropped a vision of Rafer.

Korn Ferry also recommended Omar Khan for the GM position. Do you know which team has the most cap space in two years? Yep, you guessed it. The team he manages the salary cap and contracts for.

7. justtxyank

The Andy Reid/Korn Ferry relationship is silly. Clark Hunt claimed he called Andy Reid almost immediately after the Eagles fired him to get him to have a meeting with him. He personally called him and setup a meeting. Reid then spoke to Dick Vermeil.

But even if they "recommended him," Andy Reid was a wildly successful head coach that got fired in Philadelphia.

8. justtxyank

So you think Caserio is dogshit tacos? That's I guess the sticking point.

9. justtxyank

I have zero idea whether Khan would be a good GM (also zero idea whether Caserio will be a good one!).

Like I said, you guys all think the way the Texans have always done things is the right way. Bring in Korn Ferry, hire their recommendation, the vast majority of the organization remains unchanged outside of the coaching staff and we just rinse and repeat. Up until Jack Easterby got here this was an A+ organization that did it the right way and had the results to show for it by god!

JayZ750 likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not necessarily. But Easterby and the series of decisions that led us here and the outcomes so far sure do taste like dogsh*t tacos.

Sooty likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You can advocate for change... and still be mad at the direction they took.

as you’ve said, a team being led by a preacher is unlikely to ever succeed. But just because this team wasn’t winning it all before, it doesn’t make the “opposite” of every previous decision they made the right one.

conquistador#11 and Sooty like this.
  12. Sooty

No one said it was the right way.

However, there was a method to the madness. Right now, it's basically FFA - get rid of anyone who Easterby clashes with and clean house.

- Amy Palcic was garbage I guess (wom Woman in Sports and Entertainment Woman & only woman to win the Rozelle Award for best PR Staff in the NFL)
    - Equipment staff were trash too (probably skipped a bible class and JJ and co didn't go out of their way to adovcate how good they were).

I guess we can continue this Easterby route.

13. justtxyank

More on Korn Ferry and their "dubious" recommendations.

They take "credit" for getting Pete Carroll to Seattle, but Tod Leiweke stated that he is who fired Jim Mora and that he wanted Pete Carroll right away.

They take "credit" for recommending Bruce Arians to Tampa despite Bruce Arians going out publicly and saying he wanted to interview when the Bucs hired Jason Licht.

They take "credit" for Andy Reid despite Clark Hunt saying that he made the decision to call Andy Reid to see if he was interested in coaching still.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

Hey Now! likes this.
  15. justtxyank

I don't think either were garbage. I think Amy Palcic was clearly really good at her job. Jamey Rootes is who fired her. He did multiple interviews about it. If he was falling on the sword for Easterby it is bizarre that he put so much effort into it.

As for the equipment guys, I think there is possibly a legitimate argument that if you think the culture is bad you need to get rid of the people who have been in the players ears and start fresh. i don't KNOW that to be a good reason to let go of these guys, but it's certainly possible.

Nook and UTSA2step like this.
  16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

They also recommended Pete Carroll/John Schneider to Seattle and Dan Quinn to Atlanta which resulted in 3 trips to the SB. But yes they are far from perfect. For me, the more positive step Cal took was putting together the Advisory Committee. Unfortunately Cal didn't seem to take whatever advise they had to offer either. So Cal either knew which way he wanted to go which would have made everything just a dog and pony show. Or Easterby broke through at the end as Florio reported. Concerning either way.

Should also be noted that this is not the first time Cal has gone off-script or against conventional wisdom. Unfortunately each have turned out horribly (i.e. firing Gaine, GM by Committee, firing Olsen, promoting BoB, keeping Easterby, etc...).

17. justtxyank

made another post about this, but they did not recommend Pete Carroll. The team president has gone on record saying he wanted Carroll after deciding to fire Mora and that Carroll was his only target.

they did recommend Schneider though, yes.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

What I remember about that was Jamie tried to take the fall. There was a lot of backlash after the announcing and then Jamie (trying to do a book tour) came out and said it was him. He actually said it... and NOBODY believed him LOL

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rootes did not like the direction that the Texans organization, with executive vice president Jack Easterby, was going, and Rootes' input on the new general manager hire was not valued or counted, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

LOL NFL Live going in on the them.

mikol13 and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Did Korn Ferry also recommend to trade up and draft Mahomes?
    If so maybe they can recommend Caserio NOT TRADE Watson!

I'd definitely be impressed by that!