1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jamie Rootes resigns

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Feb 10, 2021.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think you're correct that we have, essentially, overlapping (if not cascading) disasters.

BOB drove the car into a ditch. Easterby lit the crashed car on fire.

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're correct... the problem is Cal. And thus why its so damn infuriating because there's nothing anybody can do to get rid of him.

I fully believe if Easterby is gone, Cal will try and find another version of him. But maybe its somebody who has a tad more football experience other than praying with players.

mario_v and DonnyMost like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of this is anger that has built up over the years, and it is being taken out on Easterby.

None of us really know how this will play out.

I remember when Rick Smith was named the Godfather of Cal's kid....... that is the type of thing that usually means Smith would never be pushed out.

Everyone assumed Rick Smith was in so good with the McNair's that he was set for life. He used to pick up the McNair's to take them to church and visited their home regularly.

However, he was eventually pushed out and BOB appeared bullet proof. He was even granted the position of GM.

Then BOB was gone and the weird Easterby now appears to have control........

If history hold true, Easterby will be shown the door too.

We also don't know what Caserio will do. We know that Easterby supported Caserio as GM. However, for all we know Easterby supported the devil he knew (Caserio) over an unknown candidate. I think it is wrong to assume that Caserio and Easterby are wed no matter what. Caserio came up with the Patriots, that isn't an organization that supports keeping someone at their job just because they are well liked. It is very possible Caserio gains influence and confers with Cal and they drop Easterby at some point. It is also good cover right now for Caserio to let Easterby take all the damage while making moves.

primtim24, TheFreak, BigM and 2 others like this.
  5. edwardc

edwardc Member

That's the way most Texans fan will be feeling once they Trade D4 and JJ.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

For all you Jack holes that have been chirping there is not a problem in Texanville, Watson needs to handle it better, you need to take a step back, like hopefully right now.

This org is a total sh**show. Watson (along with others) want out and for good reason.

I’m so damn sick of Cal, Easterby and whomever else is a part of this nonsense.

HOT GARBAGE

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man...your post just further illustrates my position. This is the first real organizational overhaul they've ever done. This is different than anything they've done in the past which was churning a coach or a GM but keeping the organization relatively unchanged. It's weird to me man, WEIRD, that people genuinely claim that they'd feel BETTER if all the people who had been fired were here and Easterby was out and then they did the same thing they've always done. Like yeah this is probably going to suck too but Rootes for example was involved in the hiring of all the ones before and that sucked.

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Jamey Rootes, the groundskeepers, DeAndre Hopkins, the PR person, and the field equipment manager were not the problem. And that's the problem.

9. mikol13

Supporting Member

Shook is actually a very nice guy. I wouldn’t put him in the same sentence with that other turd just because you see him on tv.

10. conquistador#11

What's even worse, you really can't rebuild until the disease is cured. These guys will all get whacked. Eventually Cal will get bored/ viewership could drop another 30% like it did this year. But how long, 1 season? 7 seasons?

Sooty and mikol13 like this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Exactly. If anything Jamey and Amy are part of the reason the Texans weren't looked at as complete embarrassments by media members and other teams.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. mikol13

Supporting Member

Exactly. How long will it take? So much damage already done with the disease eating up several parts of the body. Everyone with half a brain can see how serious this has become.

This is not just fans complaining. Everyone can see that the franchise is taking significant damage.

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

That was the initial rumor but do you think that happens without Cal and Jack ok-ing it? As we see Jamie heading out the door, it looks more likely/plausible that it was a Jack/Cal move regarding Amy and we know Jack and Cal aren't trying to be in the media, on radio or tv having to answer questions and fumble those answers. So they push Jamey to take the fall for that and step in front of the media. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems likely that's what happened imo.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

If they're going to do this overhaul or whatever then they need to stop playing with Deshaun and trade him already. Trade JJ and Tunsil too.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. justtxyank

Jamey Rootes has been involved in every major hire this organization has made, other than his own, in the last 20 years.

But I get it. All would be gravy if just kept doing everything the same way the Texans have always done things. Jamey and a McNair bring in an outside party. This time it was Korn Ferry. In the past it was Dan Reeves. Just keep doing it. It's always been great! As long as we keep the equipment crew that nobody here knew a single thing about until this past week it's all good!

JayZ750, TheFreak and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's not my understanding that Rootes was involved with any football decisions.

Maybe he gets "in the room" credit and puts it on his CV... but I don't think anyone suspected he was the guy driving football decisions.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So Joel Osteen or Kenneth Copeland for team president?

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

All true. Question is when and how much damage will be done beforehand. Rick Smith was the GM for 11 years and really who knows how long much longer he would have been if BoB didn't push him out. Things got pretty ugly at the end between the two as well. BoB got to a 7th season and was the longest tenured coach to have never won a SB, let alone even get us to AFC game. And like you said, he actually got more power until just an absolutely disasterous ending.

Nothing is forever but unless somehow Cal gets blasted back into reality Lord of Rings style, things are likely to get much worse before a change is made.

Nook likes this.
  19. justtxyank

Jamey Rootes has connections to Korn Ferry through Charley Casserly.

Korn Ferry is who they have hired repeatedly to recommend candidates to them. They hired Korn Ferry for the OBrien hire, to replace Rick Smith and again this offseason. Korn Ferry basically recommends the exact same pool of candidates that are recommended are connected to Charley Casserly, Ron Wolf and Bill Polian. People that worked with those guys and are in good standing get a thumbs up from Korn Ferry.

I'm sorry, I just can't believe people thinking going back to that well AGAIN is what they should have done.

20. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Korn Ferry has a terrible rep for hiring people?

Hmm... I guess I should tell me HBS alumni friends who recently got recruited from there.

Also, the terrible firm, landed Andy Reid in KC too. Even Jordan doesn't hit 100% of his FTs.

Rudyc281 likes this.