1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Oof. Then there'd be no reason to trade for him, then. Can just sign him in the offseason.

At this point, I think the only way Harden stays with the Nets is if KD drinks some magical potion that makes him invulnerable and the coronavirus suddenly disappears off the face of the earth.

3. i3artow i3aller

"Amick: What I’m hearing on possibility of a James Harden-Ben Simmons trade between the Nets and Sixers

By the time this summer arrives, the truth about James Harden and his mysterious plans will be laid bare.

He’ll either bolt from Brooklyn in free agency like so many predict, leaving the Nets to wonder why they didn’t avoid that uncomfortable, costly ending to their failed partnership by playing ball in February when the Philadelphia 76ers were calling. Or — and this scenario is seeming less likely by the day — perhaps he’ll be basking in the glow of his first championship while inking a new deal with the team that refused to believe all that “outside noise” about him, as Nets coach Steve Nash called it, some months before.

If nothing changes before Thursday’s trade deadline, and if the Nets continue to keep the Sixers at bay in Harden-Ben Simmons trade talks that sources say have gone nowhere between the two teams, then those would be two extremes among the possible outcomes. But if Nets general manager Sean Marks is wrong here, and if it turns out that his view on Harden’s alleged unhappiness was off-base and they missed out on a chance to salvage the situation by landing a three-time All-Star whose contract runs through 2025 in Simmons, then this would be a miscalculation of epic proportions. And the question at the center of it all, it seems, is this: Which team has the right intel?

Truth be told, I can’t tell you. I have received no clarity from Harden himself (though we said hello briefly in San Francisco last week) or anyone close to him.

This is what I do know. I know the Nets continue to publicly claim that the level of Harden’s discontent is overblown, and I know that the Sixers — whose front office is run by the guy with more Harden history than any executive in former Rockets general manager Daryl Morey — truly believe that Harden is heading elsewhere this summer.

It could be Philly, or the Clippers, or some other place where he doesn’t have to wonder if Kyrie Irving is playing that night or if his well-chronicled style of play will be pegged as a problem whenever times are tough. As our Shams Charania reported recently, there have been “growing concerns” about Harden’s style of play recently — and that was before he started missing games with a sore hamstring. But the Sixers, sources say, strongly believe he won’t re-sign with the Nets and remain hopeful that Brooklyn sees the light before the deadline buzzer sounds.

One team is right. One team is wrong. We’ll know which one did the better sleuthing soon enough.

On the Nets’ side, the notion of Harden not wanting to be there anymore would be a brutal pill to swallow. As a salt-in-the-wound reminder, let’s review their sunk cost from the Harden trade with Houston last January: They sent Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince to Cleveland, then sent Caris Levert, Rodions Kurucs, three first-round picks (2022, ’24 and ’26) and four first-round pick swaps (2021, ’23, ’25, ’27) to Houston. Landing Simmons wouldn’t erase the pain that came with paying that enormous price for Harden, but it would certainly help.

But in terms of the threat posed by the Sixers this summer, the prospect of them signing Harden outright is even more real than most likely realize. And the plan, sources say, would look like this …

Step 1: The Sixers trade Simmons and the three seasons remaining on his deal ($108.8 million combined) to a team with cap room in exchange for assets in return. Detroit, Orlando, and San Antonio already have the space, and teams like Memphis or the Rockets (who could waive and stretch John Wall) could get there fairly easily.

Step 2: Find a new home for Tobias Harris’ contract via trade, which would be challenging but likely not impossible. He’s owed a combined $79.4 million over the next two seasons. The Sixers could theoretically waive and stretch Harris as well (per our cap expert, Danny Leroux, that move would open up approximately $22.3 million in space).

Step 3: Sign Harden for either the max (starting salary of $42 million) or something close to it. And for anyone who’s hung up on the fact that the Sixers might struggle to get all the way to Harden’s max number, consider this much: At this later stage of Harden’s career, he has made it abundantly clear that his focus is on the goal of winning a title. The belief in Philadelphia, sources say, is that he wouldn’t let $10 or $20 million (over the life of a deal) be a deal-breaker if he wanted to play for the Sixers.

So, why am I laying all of this out now? Because of the pressure that comes with the deadline of course. On both sides.

While the Sixers have made it clear for quite some time now that they’re willing to wait until this summer to pursue Harden, it would certainly be preferable to pair him with big man Joel Embiid when the Sixers’ center is in the midst of a historic, MVP-caliber run heading into the playoffs. What’s more, sources say that two of the Sixers’ other short-list targets — Portland’s Damian Lillard and Washington’s Bradley Beal — remain out of reach. Both the Trail Blazers and Wizards have recently indicated that they’re not willing to discuss their stars with the Sixers.

For the Nets, there has to be some serious concern about the situation spiraling in the next couple of months. We saw in those later stages of his Rockets life what he looks like when all is not well, and it’s … um … not pretty.

Might that compel Marks to rethink the prospect of pairing Kevin Durant and Irving with Simmons and boasting a roster that would widely be considered title-contender worthy (again)? He has 48 hours left to decide."

Milos and sirjesse like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Watching this saga play out, knowing we own the next decade of Nets drafts picks

[​IMG]

B-Bob, jboslett, BigShasta and 3 others like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hmmm, I wonder which of Morey's outlet leaked this "strong belief" of theirs. LOL

8. riko

riko Member

Love him or not this guy is plugged in on clutch Lebrons camp which reps Simmons so he gets first hand info

Milos and BigShasta like this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. riko

riko Member

You can tell amick is doing moreys bidding. He just gave marks a friendly warning that the Sixers can open up cap space

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

How is this not tampering?

12. HardenVolumeOne

steve nash almost won 3 straight in the era of prime kobe and lebron.. you want a cookie

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Dumbass Morey could've gotten Haliburton and assets for Simmons while giving Embid better help this 2021 playoffs. If all fails, those assets would've been easier to trade next season.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  14. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

because you have no clue what the **** tampering means

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Sixers should trade matisse instead of curry. That leaves nets with 2 shooters. They wouldnt even make the play ins. You have to know sean marks is stupid enough to do it if he constructed this roster

16. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

:eek:
    correction. Morey strongly knows….

dmoneybangbang and Easy like this.
  17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Last week I thought there was zero chance the Nets trade Harden... After days of leaks and various reports I'm starting to think it's possible.

If this is just a pr move by Morey or klutch, they've done a damn good job.

If this is really happening, holy ****!

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Don’t be all booty hurt your wannabe man about to be traded

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

NGL Simmons seems like a great fit with KD and Kyrie.

JumpMan likes this.
  20. Milos

Milos Member

The angle that makes me think this could be more than Morey's wishing out loud is Harden suddenly sitting out with hamstring stuff
    Love him or hate him for what he does on/off the court, nobody can ever say Harden didn't always suit up for games
    He's out again tonight, with KD still out and no Kyrie at home, as his team's season is spiraling down the drain
    The timing of his 'injury' makes me think he is trying to press Nets to move him by THU
    Did the same thing last year when he wanted to leave here for Brooklyn