1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Im giving you one chance here.

Q1:10:11 Not great effort, but he funneled him to Jordan where Griffin(a poor three point shooter is parked) Jordan needed to do a better job of rim protecting. Not a good example.
    Q1: 8:47 That's one
    Q1: 4:23 See this is what your problem, you literally have no idea what they are running here and are pointing fingers. They are very obviously running a 3-2 zone here. There is no switch, you are covering areas of the floor. Irving actually got there for a contest, Grant just made a good shot. This is why I didnt want to see this but your bball IQ shows here.

Q2: 11:34 Its actually decent by Harden here, after the offensive rebound he communicates to his teammates to recover on their man, he then stunts at Josh Jackson who is historically a poor shooter(yes even from the corner, check his career numbers), dude is like a career 30% 3 point shooter. So no actually,not a good example.
    5:24: Again, not a good example of poor defense(could it be better, yea and there could be more effort). But dude made a shot fading to his left. That's a tough shot to hit.
    4:55:Again LOL, first of all, Joe Harris let him get by, Joe Harris knocks himself into Jordan. But Jordan who's the rim protector didnt give ANY kind of effort on this play, even though its mainly his responsibility. Delon Wright literally looks at Jermai Grant waiting for Harden to bit so he can pass him the open corner three point shooter, if Harden closes in at the moment, its an open corner shot. There are liteerally two guys(Harris and especially Jordan) at the rim who cant stop his lay in. Another poor poor example.
    3:53: LOL wth is this? Are you kidding me, they both got caught going for the board and got in each other's way and in the confusion Delon took the ball. Not only is that not a good example, its a lol worthy one. He could have boxed out but the ball was coming to him to begin with, I dont know why Jordan even jumps here when he wont jump to contest layups.
    3:50: Harden points to DJ to get ready at the rim and jumps at him to move him off the three point line to force him left to force him towards DJ. Ellington adjusted and had to hit a side step 3 point shot which he left short. So again, not a good example of poor defense.

So out of like 9 examples...you have 1 maybe 2 if Im generous. This was a giant waste of my time, thanks.

And again this a game agaisnt the Pistons(where I literally said he doesnt give that much effort against bad teams but when it matters) where the whole team is collectively giving no effort. One game doesnt even prove your point about anything.

If you want someone who actually knows what you are talking about(very much unlike yourself)

Go to the ten minute mark. This is an actual scout dissecting a game and giving an informed opinion about Harden's defense as a whole at the 10 min mark. Please try to learn. Im actually done, I hated conversing with you, good day.

#2041 HP3, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    riko and jiggyfly like this.
  2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Wrong. Allowing the ball-handler to go around you with zero resistance is bad defense.

If you can't acknowledge this universal truth, then you're arguing in bad faith.

Are they? Because DeAndre Jordan follows Plumlee around for the entirety of the play and spends most of the play standing underneath the rim.

Wrong.

Harden tells his teammates to recover to their man, but he himself fails to recover to Jackson:

[​IMG]

And yes, he stunts at Josh Jackson (who shot 45% from the 3pt line for the 3 prior games), but he's still several feet away from him. That's bad defense.

Grant made the shot more difficult than it needed to be, but Harden played Ole defense. That's terrible defense.

Sorry, but you're wrong again. You fail to understand that it's possible for multiple guys to play bad defense on the same play.

DeAndre Jordan didn't do anything wrong here. Joe Harris ran into him, taking him out of the play. Joe Harris messed up.

You're trying to argue that Harden prevented an open 3 by allowing an uncontested layup......and you don't realize that's terrible defense?

Harden failed to box out, and Wright stole the rebound. Given that he was literally surrounded by teammates, that's his mistake:

[​IMG]

Wrong again.

[​IMG]

There is no reason for Harden to be standing where he is. Terrible, terrible defense.

#2042 wekko368, Feb 10, 2021
    Joe Rocket likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What you fail to realize is that this video references Harden's first game with Brooklyn. Of course he's going to give maximum effort on defense.

Now that he's been with the Nets almost a month, he's more comfortable and falling back into his old habits.

I don't hate conversing with you; I look at it as an opportunity to educate the uninformed. However, your Harden bias prevents this. So much of what you say tries to either prop up Harden by putting down his teammates or putting down some other star by propping up that star's teammates. For instance, didn't you say that Kevon Looney might be a better defender than Clint Capela?

Joe Rocket likes this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Perkins on Nets defense: "They cant stop a nosebleed". That's hilarious :D

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This makes zero sense.

Jeff Green has the same body type as Lebron so he could also be a great offensive player?

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All this talk is moot.

No one gonna care until playoffs.

Nook and HP3 like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Again, he funnels him towards who has more than enough to time contest grant because Griffin is parked at the three point line, this is Jordan being a bad rim protector. LOL there is so much space between Jordan and Grant that its not even funny. You suck at this and your bball IQ is low.

Yes goofy, LOL why would you not want your rim protector here in a 3-2 zone. This is what Im talking about haha.
    LMAO he's a career 30% 3 point shooter and he's also historically bad from 3 point corners. You dont know when that 3 point shooting is going to end. Look at Lou Dort, he's shooting is trash and it came back to Earth, you dont change up your defense because a historically poor shooter has been hot from 3 for like 3 games lol that's stupid. You really dont know what you are talking about. And being a good communicator is part of defense, dont ignore that.

Why wast energy contesting a fadeaway mid range two to your left LOL? Bro.....holy crap haha. I even achknowledged that it wasnt great effort here but this is just a joke by you.

LOL its not his responsibility dude.

Yes he did, he made no effort to protect the rim. LMAO you think if he really wanted to, he couldnt get Harris out of the way and contest the shot, no LOL.

Its not his responsibility, both Harris and Jordan are closer to Write. Wright was also waiting for Harden to bite so he could hit Grant in the corner. You said nothing to refute that omg haha... Harris and Jordan are at the rim and he did nothing. Its not good to help off the corners, generally. Holy crap.

The ball came right to him and Jordan still tried to go for it anyways. Both and Jordan and Harden going for that rebound screwed that up. Jordan going for that rebound for no reason is stupid and you using this as an example is again lol worthy.

I just explained to you that he recovered tried to force Ellington left and Ellington did a side step 3 and left it short. Him standing where he is really had no bearing on the play since he had already recovered by the time it got to Ellington. Your lack of a nuance here is astounding.
    LOL, what? He's referencing Harden's defense as a whole though, he even said that he's a misunderstood defender. I have even told you that Harden hasnt been a good defender this season for lack of effort but he when he consistently tries, he can be a good one. You pick one game against the Pistons with poor examples(Which I have refuted) when I started off by telling you he tries when it matters. You have no good arguments.

Nets having a good defense against good teams says otherwise.

Spare me the faux intelligence bro, I dont buy it and no one else does. Im bias for Harden(sure) but I also havent lied about him. He's never gonna be an amazing defender but he's a good one when he tries which is what I said. Kevon Looney is a much better iso defender is than Clint Capela and he ate his lunch in the playoffs. He could start on some teams and is a great back up center to Wiseman who is more offensively skilled than Capela. He's injured right now.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Who cares if Griffin is parked at the 3pt line? The Nets wanted Griffin to shoot the 3. They intentionally gave it to him throughout the game.

Funneling the ball-handler towards a rim protector (does Jordan still qualify as a rim protector?) with zero resistance is bad defense. It's a recipe to get your center into foul trouble. And given that the Nets have no depth at center, it's simply terrible defense.

You have a poor understanding of basketball.

You missed the point. If Jordan is following Plumlee around, then it's not a 3-2 zone.

Josh Jackson has shot well from the 3pt line in the past few games. You don't know when the hot shooting will end so it's foolish to act like it's already ended.

You sure do go through a lot of mental gymnastics to convince yourself its ok to not close out on an open shooter.

Look at it this way....if the Nets were game planning to let Josh Jackson shoot 3's, why did Harden even start to close out in the first place?

How about using energy to prevent Jerami Grant from getting such a clean look? Harden gave zero defensive resistance.

It actually is. Basic team basketball.

You really don't understand the game, do you?

[​IMG]

Harris took Jordan out of the play. What do you expect Jordan to do?

At this point, it's Harden's responsibility to stop the ball.

Like I said, it's stupid to prevent an open 3 by allowing an uncontested layup.

You really don't understand basketball, do you?

The correct play would've been for Harden to box out Wright. That's why this is an example of poor defense. Harden failed to make the correct play, and Wright was able to steal the rebound away from 4 Nets.

Absolutely wrong. Since he was in such a poor starting position, his close out on Ellington was out of control. That's why Ellington was able to easily evade it and get such a wide open look.

[​IMG]

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Barking is on the wall.

MDA and his losing streaks.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

How green is the grass in Brooklyn? Kinda brown I would say.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

LMAO okay, so the obviously play from Grant would be to take on Jordan for a contested layup? Bro, your rim protector should protect the rim. Jordan had ample space to protect it.

He's all they got and yes I guess he does(he sucks though). Lol, dude if your rim protector can't protect your rim in a one on one situations than you suck. Harden didnt give max effort there but Jordan is the one at fault on that play because he doesnt protect the rim properly. Foul trouble LOL? Bro do you know how much time Jordan had when he saw Grant coming, all he had to do was go straight up, instead he lazily jumps into Grant and gives poor effort.

Stop projecting, it makes you look worse.

He's not following him goofy, he's keeping an eye on him when he gets into the pain he almost completely disregards him and focuses on the space he has to guard. My god....

LMAO bro, you dont change up your strategy from years worth of sample sizes just because a poor shooter got hot for a few games. More likely than not a poor shooter gets cold sooner rather than later. Completely dumb point.

He's stunting at him and he's a poor shooter to begin with, give me a break.

What? Its not black and white goofy lol, you never want to give up open shots but not hard contesting a career 30 percent three point shooter is not poor defense by an stretch of the imagination.

You really just dont listen do haha. Its a low value mid range shot. He was fading to his left. Yea Harden could have been better but its also a very poor shot(like one of the worst shots in basketball LOL) so your point again has no bearing, its a stupid point.

No its not you goof. LMAO there were two people in the paint, its their responsibility. Good lord.

This is whole post is just projection sheesh.

How stupid are you not to realize Jordan should not have put himself in that position to begin with? And more importantly if you think Joe Harris is strong enough to take Deandre Jordan out of the play you are a huge moron LOL. LMAO look at Jordan's feet, he doesnte even to attempt to slide and makes no effort to block it at all, he gives up on the play. I expect Jordan to move Harris out of the way and slide his feet to contest the shot. I've seen him do it before.

Nope, its the responsibility of the two dude's WHO ARE IN THE PAINT you unbelievable goofball. Write even looks at Grant to see if he can pass, its not Harden's responsibility if Jordan is near the bucket holy crap.

Not his responsibility for the last time. The guys in the pain closer to wright have that job, not Harden his job is to cover Grant in the corner.

Stop projecting your low bball IQ on to me.

Dude if Jordan had not jumped for the ball(that wasnt coming towards him anyways) then this doenst happen at all. Harden was the one closest to the ball sheeesh. Its not a poor defensive play its two dude's going for a rebound and running into each other. Jordan did not have to go get that ball when it was clearly going towards Harden. Miss me with your garbage.

What? He was already there when Ellington had the ball. He literally makes a hand gesture waiting for Jordan to get ready at the rim Harden made a read to force him left. Ellington than ran to the corner for a three which he short rimmed. That's not poor defense that's just making the wrong read but Harden put it enough effort there to make him move around for the shot to miss. Amazing defense, no, but poor defense though, no and because you dont understand ball at even a basic level you get garbage takes like you have. Im not surprised.

Im done talking to you. I mean it this time, you will stay on ignore. And I will not read your trash any longer.

Nook likes this.
  13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So much stupid here. Again, by giving the ball-handler an uncontested lane to the basket, you're putting your center at risk for fouls. And since the Nets have no depth at center, it's particularly stupid to funnel ball-handlers into Jordan.

Know your personnel. Jordan was meant to be the backup center here. Everyone is aware of his obvious limitations so it's foolishness to funnel defenders into Jordan. It's clearly not Jordan's fault that Harden put him in a bad position. Either Harden played poor, lazy defense here or he has low basketball IQ. Those are the only options.

Do you understand how team basketball works? The objective is to make things easier for your teammates. Yet you seem to think that it's ok to intentionally make things harder.

You're trolling me, right? I just realized it.

You got me good. I should've known no one could be that stupid. Kudos to you.

#2053 wekko368, Feb 10, 2021
    Joe Rocket likes this.
  14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This video probably has more useful insight and truths than the 100+ pages in this thread combined.

15. riko

riko Member

Harden playing some great defensive stuff so far

Nook likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Can't believe we traded this guy.

17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Oh they can play defence it seems when they switch on

Nook likes this.
  18. Mr Chuck Norris

Lmao that defense is stifling

19. riko

riko Member

Even the lakers will struggle with the big 3 and this kind of defense when they are switched on

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

all the Nets need is an above average defense, and it would be enough to win the title

Nook likes this.