1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

In matter of minutes @HP3 coming through like

[​IMG]

Sep11ie and hakeem94 like this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol, dumbass do you think just because someone actually uses stats to back up their opinion with they look like this. Look man, if I hurt your feelings in some way, I apologize but this is......this is just some sad **** LOL. Like how old are you? If you a grown man, this is even worse.

#2022 HP3, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  3. HardenVolumeOne

not every superstar guard has been lucky enough to be surrounded by a plethora of wing defenders in their career like curry has. iggy, draymond, bazemore, klay now oubre, and wiggins. Not even mentioning a prime andrew bogut protecting the paint. We all saw what happens when curry has to do work without draymond early in the season and it was ugly. A lot of his 3's were short and he had tired legs from having to play defense. Routinely getting blown out by 20 plus points every game

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What does that have to do with implementing, executing, and enforcing a proper covid protocol?

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In my opinion, Curry has always been a fine defender. Does he get taken advantage of due to his smaller stature? Sure, but he plays good positional defense, has good court awareness, and most importantly, he plays with effort. With Curry's defense, you don't have to use the qualifier "when he wants to". That should speak volumes.

So you're blaming the GSW early losses on Curry? Not the poor collective shooting of Oubre (exceptionally terrible), Wiggins, and Curry? If that's the case, why aren't Curry's shots short anymore? Did he stop playing defense?

Curry has had great defensive teammates. So has Harden. What's your point?

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Metrics that don't consider lineups don't seem like they'd be useful. Can you elaborate on these metrics?

I see. So you openly refuse to watch video proof of Harden's bad defense yet you continue to claim that he doesn't play bad defense. Unsurprising.

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Outside of KD Harden is the least of Brooklyn's defensive issues. DJ is washed and doesn't even try. Kyrie is one of the worst defenders in the entire league. Joe Harris provides absolutely nothing but offense. He plays defense like Kyrie. TLC, Tyler Johnson and Landry are fringe NBA players. I get it Harden left and it hurt but watch the games before you come out with the hot takes. This isn't 2014 anymore. Harden isn't a bad defender like he once was.

And yes Curry is a much much worse defender than James. He's always been surrounded by superior defensive players and coaching.

MettaWorldPete, HP3 and JayGoogle like this.
  8. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

If they keep up that terrible defensive effort, the chemistry will start to fracture. They will start pointing fingers and then things will get interesting over there. It's title or bust for them this year.

I think James has a lot to do with that bad defense. He doesn't stay in front of his man on the perimeter, he is a terrible help defender (one reach in on the drive-by and that is it), and he doesn't box out for rebounds. Other teams seek him out on picks to attack him because they KNOW. Oh well it's not our problem anymore.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Harden sht defense memes incoming! Hate to see it! (kinda)

watching the nets implode would bring me a certain level of satisfaction no lie.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

:rolleyes:

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

@HP3

You can watch the video clips at nba.com: https://www.nba.com/game/bkn-vs-det-0022000375/play-by-play

This is only the first half, and I only included plays where Harden was actually involved. I ignored plays where Harden's low effort didn't have any impact.

Q1, 10:11: Harden doesn't even pretend to play defense and lets Jerami Grant go right around him.
    Q1, 8:47: Harden has zero interest in transition defense and allows an uncontested dunk.
    Q1, 4:23: Harden gets caught ball watching, doesn't notice the switch, and doesn't communicate to his teammate which allows a wide open 3

Q2: 11:34: Harden gives Josh Jackson too much space, and Jackson hits a 3.
    Q2: 5:24: Harden again plays Ole defense with Jerami Grant.
    Q2: 4:55: Delon Wright scores a 1v4 transition basket. Harden is in position to challenge the shot, but he instead chooses to remain stationary.
    Q2: 3:53: There are 4 Nets and Delon Wright (standing right behind Harden) at the basket. Instead of boxing out Wright, Harden goes for the rebound, and Wright takes it away from him.
    Q2: 3:50: Harden finds himself extremely out of position, and Ellington gets an open look for a 3.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I can't even tell if they have a defensive scheme. They can score at will but, they really need to focus on defense. That being said, their record against good teams indicate that it's really just an effort thing.

jiggyfly, HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Perhaps this is a smart startegy of saving the best for playoffs. Its the east they will absolutely make the playoffs, whats the point of playing hard now when the title is the goal?

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Curry does indeed try hard but he isnt a good defender. Thats all he does try hard. Harden in a lot ways is the opposite if you look at Lou Dort Harden has the exact same body type as him if Lou Dort is a great defender Harden could have also been a great defender but he is lazy in moving his feet on the perimeter. Thats why he is better guarding the front court cuz he doesnt need to move his feet as much.

They are both below average defenders in my eyes, one due to ability and another due to effort. But they arent horrible defenders either they are just below average.

MettaWorldPete and hakeem94 like this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No need to lie -- that would make our draft picks much better.

Astrodome and hakeem94 like this.
  16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

This doesn't make any sense at all.

They first need to learn what their "best" is before coasting in the regular season.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Curry is a fine defender. You're underestimating the impact of effort, not only for individual defense, but also how it affects team defense. Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you. Here's the play by play for last night's GSW/SAS game:

https://www.nba.com/game/gsw-vs-sas-0022000378/play-by-play

If you can point out some defensive mistakes, I'd be happy to watch them.

18. riko

riko Member

Curry is not a fine defender stop.

RudyTBag, jiggyfly, apollo33 and 4 others like this.
  19. riko

riko Member

Kyrie wasn’t taking a backseat to Lebron so he ain’t taking a backseat to harden . The guy shoots it as soon as he gets it

HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So happy every single time they lose. We got this team locked down until 2027... If they don't figure this out...:D

hakeem94 likes this.