1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden vs OJ Mayo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Nov 23, 2012.

1. itachen

itachen Member

As bad as the Grizzlies are lacking 3 point shooters, they still let OJ walk. Earlier, they were trying to trade him for Josh-frigging-Mc Roberts.

2. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I'm just sort of chuckling at the notion that...

...this recent career backup who got (literally) slapped around by former teammate Tony Allen...

...and is now getting ridiculous usage...

...only because the Mavs' actual legitimately good player has been hurt...

...through just 1/4 of a single NBA regular season...

...on one of the worst Mavericks teams we've seen in the Nowitzki era...

...is somehow now mentioned in the same breath as James Harden.

I realize the entire gimmick, the whole point of this manufactured online persona, is supposed to be unrequited love for OJ Mayo, but this is too much.

James Harden vs OJ Mayo will be a great debate "from now and the future" in the same sense that Michael Jordan vs. Craig Ehlo was a great debate from now and the future.

3. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Sorry to interject here, since you digress, but that's why it would be good for Lin to handle the ball more, not all the time, and set-up Harden with spot-up 3s. I haven't seen that except for one play in Portland I believe recently. Lin has started to handle the ball more starting with the Jazz game, but they still need to figure out more plays to run for James with Lin or maybe even Chandler.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Like I said in another thread, remember that Ben Gordon was doing this on the Bulls years back

Mayo is a "rich man's" Ben Gordon in my view.

James Harden is a Brandon Roy type.

Fans do the smart thing figuring in salary aspects, but overall its not our money and we just want the better player. Which is Harden here.

5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

No need to showcase your stupidity in order to point out another's.

While I'm of the opinion Harden is better now and has more potential, your "analysis" is lacking any semblance of basketball knowledge.

Why is he mentioned in the same breath?
    1. You call him a career backup, even though he's started more games than he's come off the bench, while Harden has been the bench player up until this season. He was looked at as a future star until Hollins benched him. Too bad he was the #3 pick in a stronger draft than Harden, and averaged 18ppg in his first two seasons, which is more than what Harden ever averaged prior to this season.

2. Getting ridiculous usage? Harden is 3rd amongst SGs in usage rate while Mayo is 13th. Maybe look up the stats or watch the games before making assertions. It might help.

3. The Mavericks team is bad because Dirk is hurt. Yet he's pretty much the sole reason they're around .500. What is your point exactly?

4. So while Harden's performance in 1/4th of the season "proves" his worth, Mayo's performance must be a fluke because of the sample size. Nice hypocrisy.

6. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

OJ is gonna benefit from having Dirk on the floor

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

You're just going to call another poster stupid in replying to them, and let that sit as though that's somehow cool and a nice entree to productive discussion? You're off to a terrible start.

I called him a recent career backup, which probably suggests I'm well aware of what he once did as a rookie, and even more aware of the fact that he was benched back in Memphis. Things have not changed for you since that terrible start of yours.

OJ Mayo is getting ridiculous usage for OJ Mayo.

Great circular logic here. So are you really saying this supporting cast of his is strong? Really? Stronger than it was when the Mavs won the championship? Stronger than it was when they almost won the championship? Because the point was that this team around Dirk is arguably the worst it's ever been, and rather than address that objectively, you pointed to Dirk's injury woes instead. What?

James Harden was better than OJ Mayo last season, too. Now we're looking at an entire NBA season, much of the postseason, and 1/4 of this NBA season so far. What now?

Quality posting there. lol

8. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right...I'm just going to quote myself from before since no one responded to the advanced stats...but anyone saying that Mayo is as good as or near as good as Harden is seriously losing credibility as a smart basketball fan...

Harden is more versatile.

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

As Chuck once pointed out, "Even on a bad team, somebody got to take those shots."

That somebody is OJ Mayo.

10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

1. Recent career backup? You realize this makes no damn sense, right? But that does make it fit right in with the rest of your post though...

2. Baseless argument.

3. What the hell are you talking about? You said this Mavs team sucks. I said it is because Dirk is out. I'm saying that the biggest reason they're treading water at .500 is because of OJ. And he's still managing ridiculous efficiency with defenses keying on him.

4. Mayo was better than Harden for some time too, until he was unfairly benched. Anyone who follows the NBA outside of the Rockets could tell you he was still a stud who was stuck in a bad position. To act like he's a nobody is stupid.

11. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Kevin Martin vs OJ Mayo would make more sense. Comparing Mayo to Harden is LOL. When Aaron Brooks got hot in 09, i remember some people here were comparing him to CP3. Yeah buddy.

12. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

He was relegated to the bench and demonstrated skills consistent with a backup while in Memphis. This ain't so hard to understand, why are you attempting to argue semantics?

I'm not nearly invested enough in this to list all the players who can do better things with the ball in their hands. A hot shooting streak and turning a possession into points are not the same things.

A big part of why this Mavs team sucks is because OJ Mayo is their second scoring option behind Dirk.

Oh really? For some time? Didn't you get all indignant with me over sample sizes just one post ago, and now you're citing to a narrow window you describe as "for some time?" Hypocrisy much?

Oh, the reasons for his benching were quite fair and quite well-documented. His performance on the court started to suck, and so did his composure off the court. After his steroid abuse and multiple run-ins with teammates, it's amazing he's still in the league, to be honest. Character issues like woah

Who is OJ Mayo and why should I even care? (I don't care.)

1 person likes this.
  13. SC1211

Supporting Member

Make one argument that has numbers to back up your (absurd) claim.

14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

What absurd claim am I making exactly? I already said Harden is better, younger, and has more growth potential. All I'm doing is defending Mayo as a very good SG, which all of you seem to be denying.

CF seems to be out of touch with any basketball outside of Rocket Red. None of you would be defending Harden so adamantly if he hadn't come here, now all of a sudden comparing Mayo to him is equivalent to comparing Aaron Brooks to CP3? Ridiculous.

15. SC1211

Supporting Member

Nope, anyone who's ever glanced at advanced statistics has loved James Harden for a long time now.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

OJ Mayo is a quality shooting guard in the NBA, and it looks like he's found a spot in Dallas that is better for him as a player instead of Memphis, where it doesn't seem like he truly found his footing, so to speak. He'll be a quality role player for a long time I'd assume.

But I think you're overrating him. He is, as I said, a role player. He's comparable to Jamal Crawford in my mind, as he is asked to be a potent scorer, but doesn't bring much else to the table in terms of defense, passing, etc.

And I gotta disagree with the whole "None of you would be defending Harden if he didn't end up in Houston" thing. Everybody knew of James Harden. Everybody knew of his insane efficiency for the Thunder. Everybody knew of his consistency. These are things that OJ Mayo has not demonstrated in his career as of yet. Could he in the future? Sure. But he has yet to do so, and Harden, while younger, has already shown this, himself.

Once again, OJ Mayo is no scrub by any stretch of the imagination, and he's a fine player, but he's just not a good comparison to James Harden.

17. Sen89

Sen89 Member

You guys...

18. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

what a steal for the Mavs

19. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

he's doing just fine without Dirk, but i agree

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Harden outplayed Mayo tonight, it was all for not though.