1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden Speaks to the media

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Dec 16, 2020.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

These guys literally dont remember what Kawhi or Jimmy Butler did.

D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Yes... and Anthony Davis.

The only leverage a player under contract is to become such a distraction that a team prioritizes trading the player away.

The Rockets don’t want to trade James Harden so there will come a point where Harden will choose to escalate his actions most likely.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

You dont see gms making press conferences. They call the shots and most often coach catch the heat. Its normal in different sports. Daryl was just fame hungry and marketed himself via media. I actually prefer Stone style just hire mouthpiece and dont get emotionaly involved

sirbaihu likes this.
  4. riko

riko Member

I was just thinking that at some point Harden will spill the beans on the mobster Tilly mini trump as well if these exaggerated leaks keep coming out at the current rate from Tillman’s camp.

#284 riko, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yet every time I post something you get in your feelings.

Do all flies make you feel some kind of way?

Yesterday it was I can do this all day and now its shoo fly.

Put your big boi pants on youngster.

6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

If he wants to get traded to a contender and is smart he will shut his mouth and be professional like he said he would. Harden can play the game of chicken if he wants with Houston. Harden has a lot more to lose at the end of the day than I believe Houston does. Remember he still has 2 years left on his contract and is 31 years old. I think both of those facts give Harden some incentive to not be nasty. But Harden could absolutely cut his nose to spite his face, who really knows.

7. Nook

Nook Member

No it isn’t normal for a GM to let his head coach dangle in the wind... he avoided taking questions on the Wall trade as well.

I don’t need a GM that constantly is speaking to the media but there is a time and place to step in and say something.

The only exception I can think of are some very well thought of and powerful head coaches handle the vast majority of the media attention, but Silas is a first year coach.

Either way, it is my observation and something I will watch in the future.

D-rock, HP3 and Sep11ie like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did you say something?

9. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I agree, but I guess that's kind of the learning curve for a new GM. Just really magnifies things the silence since we have a rookie head coach too.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Ultimately Harden will get traded to a contender either way. His public image will suffer in the short term but that is about it.

The Rockets certainly have more to lose, he potentially can sabotage their entire season. If he really acts out his value will go down and the Rockets will have more pressure to move him. The Rockets don’t want to sit on a depreciating asset and pay him over $40,000,000 a year.

It’s the same reason the Rockets took less to move Westbrook, they didn’t want the holdout and problems surrounding Westbrook impacting the team on the floor.

D-rock, HP3 and YOLO like this.
  11. bmelo

bmelo Member

I am also big football(also known as soccer in US) fan and theres the biggest club in the world in Spain - Real Madrid. I dont think I saw one general manager press ever... president(lets take Tilly for comparsion) gives one interview a year and introduction to new signings and thats it. Coaches catch all the heat no matter how exprienced. And believe there is big drama going on 5 times a year. They just let pr guy do all the talk as a representative of the board and this guy gives the emptiest answer you can think of (everything is great/no problem/we are the best). Stone runs it very similiar its not his job to talk to the media

12. Nook

Nook Member

it is possible Stone improves, he has been in the organization a long time and has seen how others handle the job, but he is new.

Normally I have no issue with a GM not saying much. RC Buford seldom says anything and Nelson too

Deuce, Sep11ie, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

The culture in soccer is different though. I am not saying one sports culture is better than the other, just different. In the NBA a GM is expected to step in and help his coach out.

D-rock, HP3 and bmelo like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Now let’s trade him.

Hopefully for that mythical magical unicorn that never asks for anything and never tries to get away with ####

Nook and HP3 like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm really trying to be nice to you considering the drubbing you are taking in the other thread.

Just remember that you brought this on yourself.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

As long as it’s not a tight playoff game moment where things start going bad. Then he sulks and clearly doesn’t give 100%, much less 1000%.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Easy and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. D-rock

D-rock Member