1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden says 'Daryl Morey is a liar…'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Aug 14, 2023.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Um. You're aware that Tilman publicly and proudly took credit for this, right? He also called Chris Paul the worst contract in sports. Maybe pick an example where Morey doesn't have a direct and factual alibi if you want to take such a strong stance.

Also maybe consider there's a reason Morey left the team to "be with family" months after this and joined another team like 30 days later. Don't go in on Morey apologists by being Tilman's campaign manager. In an argument of "Harden vs Morey" I'll pick " screw Tilman" every time if the option is lobbed to me.

How many times has Tilman taken this team to the WCF only to be thwarted by injuries? Morey did that twice. How many times did Morey have the worst 3 year record in Rockets' 60 year history? Tilman has done that. I've moved on from Harden and Morey but we still have that damn dark cloud hanging over us so I can't even take any joy from the 76ers misery.

#121 napalm06, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

McHale got fired and Harden put up 3 straight MVP quality seasons and the Rocket had their greatest period of success in 3 decades - meanwhile Kevin McHale shows up at MAGA rallies and calls into radio stations to trash talk Harden - VINDICATION

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Harden also forced CP3 out when that team was the best in the league....I don't care about the regular season - I care that Harden went to a ****ing strip club until 6am on the day of an early game 6 against the Spurs then sucked it up on the court.

Harden was a great scorer, a wonderful scoring player, but NEVER a leader, never a man who was willing to do it all, he got paid, and now people get to see him for what he is....a selfish brat.

Doesn't mean he is not a good player still just toxic...

As for McHale - **** him....I am just saying he was the first sign that Harden was a problem child.

So SO SO ****ING GLAD we got that tiny assed FVV over Harden.

DD

gumbleton3, Plowman and ROCKSS like this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Great as he may have been as a player, Milkhair was indeed a clown as a coach. Remember, he was hired by the same Morey who publicly stated that coaching doesn't factor very heavily into a team's success.

Invisible Fan and DaDakota like this.
  5. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

My guess is the only reason Harden opted in to his contract is because Morey agreed to trade him. Had Morey not agreed to trade him then Harden wouldn't have opted in. Now Morey says he isn't trading Harden. They had a handshake deal and Morey reneged. I am not defending Harden, this is just my guess about why he is pissed. He knows he could have walked, but by resigning, Philly could gain assets.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did Morey also sign Silas?

DeBeards and harold bingo like this.
  8. a time to chill

He's mad because he couldn't agree to a contract extension with Philly before this summer and then had to opt into his contract this year to at least get the $35M. Harden still could've opted out to become a free agent this offseason, but no one wanted to sign him to what he was asking for.

9. NewAge

NewAge Member

so, first Morey was taking credit, too. He went on Zach Lowe’s podcast, for example, saying "when you have a chance to trade for an MVP you have to do it." The he stayed the full year on as GM.

second, what Tilman took credit for was not the trading of CP3, but the decisiveness to close the deal. He was saying the Front Office was hesitant about the picks, he took the credit for actually pulling the trigger.

Third, Tilman saying CP3 was the worst contract was before Morey lied he won’t trade him. CP3 was saying in interviews that he was lied to up to the very trade.

Fourth, owner interference, may or may not have been the reason for Morey leaving. That’s not the issue. The issue is lying, that’s what this thread is about. “Spending time with family” is lie and weasel-speak on many levels.

10. a time to chill

It's just business...

It makes no sense for anyone to sign Harden to the max at his age when we know his tragic flaw is that he's uncoachable and his style of play doesn't work in the playoffs

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Silas wasn't a clown.

He was a jester or a fool. There is a difference.

FrontRunner and daywalker02 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hehe did not work in circus.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who cares? The bottom line is that McHale was gone and the Rockets immediately improved, and Harden took his game to an uncharted level.

Obviously they made the right choice at the time in 2016.

Nothing else really matters, but I got to tell you, the "shouldn't have fired McHale!" revisionism is especially funny consideirng that approximately nobody on the team or the BBS wanted him coaching the team; especially and including you, very vocally and repeatedly:

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

lying to employees is bad business

BallSoHarden, basketball and NewAge like this.
  15. NewAge

NewAge Member

T-Mac watching the guy lay it in is basically the last two years of Jalen Green defensive intensity… Funny how this was a topic of outrage back when we were an actual NBA basketball franchise, as opposed to the joke we are now.

J.R. likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

(8:40) “If I’m the NBA, I got my antennas up a little bit. When you come out and call your president a liar, OK. Now what does that mean? Does that mean something was promised? I’m not saying there was. Does that mean “Hey, you give back $14M and we’ll take care of you the following year.” I’m not saying that. But the word “liar” is pretty damaging here. If you’re the player’s association, was there something promised to you that you want to look into here? I’ve never come across a situation like this with Harden especially where we can connect the dots. We can connect the dots from last year when he gave back $14M to get those players with the belief, maybe in his mindset, there’s no Joe Smith contract side contract waiting for Harden here. If there was, there’d be a lot of people not working in the NBA here. That is the interesting part. “Daryl Morey is a liar” from the mouth of James Harden. That itself my friends is damaging. That is damaging because what was promised? Maybe we’ll never know. Maybe there was never anything promised and maybe in his mindset was “I’ll give back $14M and I will be rewarded with a 4-year($40M/yr) contract.” As we saw in free agency, that was not waiting for him.”

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  17. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

China doesn't like Morey so I'm pretty sure Harden was asked questions out there and responded with an honest answer. He lost money dealing with Morey (who has a history of lying to superstars) and there are companies out there who probably wouldn't want to deal with Harden if he's still in cahoots with him. That was a good business move. He knows his days of getting max contracts n the NBA are over and needs as much endorsement money as possible.

I'm happy both of them are gone. At the end of the day Harden needs to hold himself accountable for trusting Morey. He better make sure he plays for somebody and gets in better shape this season or he could be Carmelo'd. No team is going to want to deal with him. And the 76'rs organization has a big decision to make on whether or not to let Morey go. No superstars are going to want to play there and I wouldn't be surprised if Joel requests a trade. They spent all those years tanking and have nothing to show for it.

18. a time to chill

Not getting these "promises" in writing, cemented in a contract is bad business. At the end of the day, Morey has got to do what's best for the organization. The Sixers owe Harden nothing.

19. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

:eek:

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

if they promised him something, morally, they owe him what was promised. As far as why Harden didn't get it writing; I am sure NBA contract limitations prevented it or he would have.