1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden says 'Daryl Morey is a liar…'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Aug 14, 2023.

1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Morey lied to Tilman to get out of his job. Idk why anyone thinks he probably didn’t lie to Harden about a long term deal and also to get him to opt in so he could be traded where he wants to go.

Enjoyed both of those guys while they were here but glad this isn’t our issue.

2. SuraGotMadHops

This is what happens when you spoil your kids....

What has Morey done other then acquire every player Harden ever requested, trade every player Harden requested, get Harden paid whatever he requested, and re-acquire him when he requested?

F*** Harden.

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In this era yeah, Embiid I would think is likely to ask out regardless. I think that's just the modern NBA, and how quick star players are to ask out. It's shocking he already hasn't asked out, and speaks to him being a bit more loyal that most stars. But yeah he could ask out this morning. It's a real possibility.

I find that free agency usually is a crappy way to build a team regardless. Good players get extended 90% of the time so you get stuck overpaying the Dillon Brook's of this world. Still having cap space matters as a tool to rebuild. Say what you want about Morey but he does know how to use the cap in interesting ways in trades, etc. If I'm Embiid right now I'm thinking about this year vs the future. If I think this could be one of if not my last year performing at an MVP level, I seriously think about trying to force a trade to Miami or somewhere else that can put me on a contender overnight. If I think I've got 5 to 7 more years, Philly next Summer looks about as interesting as any other future free agent destinations would look anyways where you have an organization that you believe can build around you.

No way to tell how it'll shake out without getting in Embiid's head. If I was Joel though, I might try to get out now honestly.

5. Mr. Space City

I’m trying to think of a way I can blame Tillman for all this.

6. dmoneybangbang

Lol….. grow up.

Tilman forced the CP3 trade.

And yea Morey wanted to get out of Houston when he saw what was happening.

7. MystikArkitect

Incredibly easy to see what happened here. Morey took advantage of Harden through their relationship, promised him something if he took a paycut to build a contender, didn't build a contender and didn't follow through on his promise.

8. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

I get what he's doing here but man his reputation will never recover at this point.

BallSoHarden, DeBeards, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Morey was doomed from the start, there's no win for him.

1. Offer Harden 4 year contract, which would be a terrible decision in terms of flexibility and winning, Embiid probably requests a trade after this year when Harden declines even more in the play offs

2. Not offer Harden anything like he did and Harden throws a complete **** fit. Nobody offers anything in return, they get bounced the playoffs this year Embiid requests a trade.

3. Houston signed Harden instead of FVV this off season, they get nothing in return for Harden, they get bounced in the playoffs Embiid requests a trade

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Even a long-happy marriage can end in divorce. It happens in sports all the time.

The Morey years were great. The Harden years were great. That CP version was glorious. Almost made it.

It's over. And there's been a lot of lying, fudging, and acrimony since then. Yeah, Morey lied about why he was leaving, etc. Yeah, Harden said we weren't good enough and forced his way out, etc. Yeah, they connived to get back together, and now it's descending into public recriminations. OK.

But those years brought us excellence and joy. I'm grateful to both guys. And now we've moved on.

mikol13, Plowman, DeBeards and 16 others like this.
  11. dobro1229

Yeah I assume that one of the reasons why Harris, and Morey probably think they can play hard ball here is that they know Harden has the poor reputation he has to contend with. Nobody around the league is going to side with him, and give him the benefit of the doubt almost surely. Maybe he is in the right on this one occasion but he's still the boy who cried wolf in the eyes of many around the league. He's now basically in the same boat as Westbrook was last year with the Lakers... which is pretty sad to see as a Harden fan.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thinly-disguised Daryl-Morey-says-Sengun-is-7-feet-tall thread

DeBeards and topfive like this.
  13. dobro1229

The best scenario is option 4:

-Harden comes back pissy because he didn't get a contract. Embiid is on the ropes. Harden realizes that his only hope in getting another contract next offseason is by playing his butt off on what is an expiring one year deal. They still compete this year with what they have even with tension early on. Morey gets to wipe Harden, and Harris off the books this Summer and sell Embiid on a new roster of support.

That's the best case scenario IMO for Morey.

What is likely though:

-Harden comes back pissy. Sucks, and causes issues in the locker room to the point where they sense that if they don't waive Harden, Embiid will request an in-season trade. They decide to waive Harden. He signs with the Clippers on a minimum, and goes gang busters while Embiid and Maxey aren't enough to make it past the 2nd round if not the 1st round. Embiid asks out next June, and the Sixers start a full rebuild.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Man you just suck in general when it comes to basketball takes.

topfive and peleincubus like this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So glad he is not here.

DeBeards and i3artow i3aller like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

I’m told the Sixers never had an agreement, made an offer, or exchanged proposals with James Harden and his reps heading into this year’s free agency.

It’s my understanding the Sixers told James and his reps they would meet with them the second free agency starts.

James and his reps did not like that scenario and opted in to the one year with the Sixers and asked for a trade.

The Sixers looked into possible trades but there was nothing that they liked from the LA Clippers or any team.

The NBA investigated the Sixers last year for tampering but the NBA found no communication with James Harden that violated any tampering rules. They were punished and lost several second round picks for tampering with P.J. Tucker and Danuel House Jr.

18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Morey agreed to do something that he can no longer do. The circumstances have changed and he is no longer able to hold up his end of the bargain. Not sure if that means he promised Harden a long term deal, or promised to trade him, or whatever, but surely he promised something that he's not delivering on. Harden is upset over this and crying about it in public. This whole thing makes both of them look pretty bad from my perspective. I'm sure Morey will leak something soon to the Philly media that he and Harden never had any deal or something about how they exhausted all the options and tried their best but couldn't get anything done.

DeBeards and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m pretty sure Morey asked him to take less and promised to make it up on the extension and that didn’t happen. Also pretty sure Morey said he’d work out a trade when Harden wanted to move on, and he was clearly asking too much and it won’t happen. So I’m pretty sure Harden has a right to be mad.

That said, given his track record of forcing his way out of town if he doesnt get what he wants, it’s hard to sympathize with Harden.

I thought I’d be able to smile and laugh about this, but I think it’s really sad. Both of their reps and credibility are taking a big hit.

#79 Aruba77, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Harold, we respect James and we explored the market, thought we got close on a few deals but obviously nothing got done. We can’t afford to make a bad deal. This is our window. Again, we have all the respect in the world for James Harden. Great player, future Hall of Famer. We’re excited about this upcoming season and can’t wait to see him in September for training camp. It’s a big year for him, it’s a big year for us.”

[​IMG]