1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden says 'Daryl Morey is a liar…'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Aug 14, 2023.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

James Harden is really taking a public sh*t all over himself.

Of course Daryl Morey is a liar. He's always embellished, talked out his culo, whatever. But he has also always done everything, everything, James Harden wanted, even when forced to do so by management (Westbrook). Then he jumped off the burning ship ("spend time with my family"; yeah, right!) and we got left with Wall's and Oladipo's broken wheels.

Harden likely thought he was returning to Houston and that didn't happen. Then he opted in and Morey won't make a bad trade; probably thought he could convince Harden to stay for one last run at it (don't they always?) As Morey might say now to Harden (borrowing from Otter in "Animal House"):

"You f***ed up. You trusted me! Hey, make the best of it!"

Plowman, BlastOff, HillBoy and 4 others like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

On some level it is literally the only thing going on in the NBA right now - other than all of the players IN THE LAB ALL SUMMER WORKING SO HARD - there's just nothing else going on to talk about other than the boring FIBA world cup that nobody cares about (unless a non-US team wins, in which case it's the most important tournament in history).

MadMax and HP3 like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He also controls the demand and value of the product he brings. It's not Daryl Morey or Josh Harris or even Doc Rivers' fault that there's no market for Harden for him to leverage. He got all the PT, and touches you could ask for in order to give yourself the opportunity to show value.

What Harden should have done is last year when he knew he was going into free agency was understood that he was auditioning for all 30 teams. Taken the offseason to lose some weight first and foremost. Then during the season position himself as a more valuable asset for the offseason where he played off the ball more, shot the ball better from 3, played better defense, and then do what he does well within the team framework.

Harden had a good season, and not really even the worst postseason he's ever had, but the problem is the product that he'd be selling teams in free agency wasn't appealing at a large scale. Very few teams needed what he was bringing, and there was too many negatives with what he didn't bring in terms of defense, spot of 3 point shooting, etc.

He has no market. Therefore even as shrewd as it might seem... the Sixers aren't to blame for making a business and basketball decision that's best for them regardless of what they hinted or verbalized they'll likely do a year ago. And Morey isn't making these decisions in a vacuum I can guarantee you that. It's about all Joel Embiid first and foremost. Every decision that's made is made with him in mind... not James Harden.

Little Bit and Plowman like this.
  4. Outlier

Outlier Member

All that debate over who is better with Curry, Luka, and Harden should be put to rest now. Curry was always better than Harden, and a lot of fan boys on here were in denial so hard… just like they are with the current state of the team and their abysmal moves this offseason.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

(19:12) Iko: "...Moving forward, I do think New York & Houston are the two teams to watch if it ever came to a situation where Joel said I want to leave too."

6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Sengun, Cam, Tari and whatever picks and other bits we needed to match salary...

7. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

No thanks

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

no

Little Bit and cml750 like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know if everyone is really appreciating how pivotal Udoka's role is in this drama. If we had made an offer, Sixers would have matched it. We know from Morey's tenure that he loved to tell people to fetch an offer from the market in order for him to match it.

We were the only team with cap space he could have dreamed to solicit an offer from. He was lying out of his a$$ about wanting to come to Houston. Udoka nuked the whole thing and the clock started ticking on him having to opt in. Morey would not embarrass himself when Brand knows full well they have Harden by the balls. If Harden opts out there's no market for him so why even offer an extension when you can wait a year?

Very poor strategy by Hardens agents btw. Pinning all his hopes on Rockets making a big offer. So proud of the organization for listening to Ime. Harden has been unhappy/depressed/angry/chubby for 4 years now. It would have been a catastrophe to be stuck with that contract.

I told you guys he'd be available for cheap in a year. That looks highly likely now, if we even want him at that point.

#189 Mathloom, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    Plowman, BlastOff, MrButtocks and 3 others like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Did Harden sign with BJ Armstrong?

DD

BHannes2BHonest and FrontRunner like this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If James and the Rockets had mutual interest, Harden would have opted out and been an unrestricted free agent. I believe? So the 76ers would've been left high and dry.

Someone correct me, but I'm pretty sure Harden could have just opted out and signed with Houston, had Houston prepared an offer?

Mathloom likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but that's assuming he wanted to come here. Look at his list of destinations (Clippers). We're not on that list and neither is any other team that has no chance at a title.

I don't think he ever planned on coming here. We were just a convenient leverage target.

13. i3artow i3aller

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Harden could have opted out and been an UFA.....completely free to go wherever he wanted to go.....he CHOSE to opt in and guarantee this year's money as his agent probably finally told him he ain't getting 35m on the market.....and thus the frustration on his part.

I think DM played it smart - he told Harden he would give him a good extension and he would have but he forced Harden to opt out first......and that was something Harden wasn't willing to do.

Oh well, not our problem anymore...

DD

PS. Somewhere DMo is laughing his ass off knowing he was right all along.

15. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

We can all learn a lesson from this.

From Daryl, bringing back the good ol' days rarely brings back the good ol' days.

From Harden, never EVER take a pay cut.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I think Embiid is overrated. If that would get it done I bet most GM's in the league would do it though. Main reason I went Sengun is I think Bari would match better, I think Bari's clearly more likely to get the deal done with Daryl for obvious reasons, Sengun for most other front offices because he has more of an it factor and is by far the more proven player.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden sold the "illusion of influence"

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's debatable. Harden looks cancerous right now bc he is in a feud with Morey. If we went for him b4 this, u probably wouldn't b asking this question/tooting your horn.

Asking me right now is like, waiting for harden to break his leg in a freak accident and ask me if it was worth signing him to 3/4 year Contract, all hindsight.

I already accepted the fact/move on that we overpaid for fvv and we have amen waiting to take his spot.

still it's nice to know I'm in your mind to b brought up regarding this.

19. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Actual photo of Murray and Hardun in their younger days.

@juanm34
    @DaBeard

upload_2023-8-14_13-41-46.jpeg

20. cml750

cml750 Member

I sure am glad we stayed away from him. I think we were only mentioned for leverage anyway. I loved the guy when he was here but now that he is gone he is someone else's headache;

AroundTheWorld likes this.