1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden or Clyde Drexler in his prime?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 18, 2014.

?

Real Comparison: Harden or Drexler?

1. Harden

161 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Drexler

90 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Shut up clown. Hilarious coming from you about others being wrong on takes. :D

You're the clown who was riding McFail's jockstraps so hard when I told you repeatedly he is a garbage coach who was holding the team and Harden back. It must hurt you to see Rockets and Mike AntoniO succeed and play such beautiful basketball.

You are the clown who said Harden could have a 50/40/90 season when I told you that he has not had 50% FG% or 40% 3 P% or 90% FT% in isolation, let alone all 3 combined

You are the clown who was assuring us Harden would make at least ALL NBA 2nd team last season when I told you he wouldn't make any ALL NBA teams last season.

Now take your ball and go home. LOL

#101 FTW Rockets FTW, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    kjayp likes this.
  2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

dude, james harden has never been a better finisher or rebounder than clyde drexler.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Y'all tripping. I have them both in my top 5 Houston athletes ever with Dream at #1. Updated List as of 05/03/2017 8:00 AM CT.

1. Dream
    2. Moses Malone
    3. Harden / Clyde
    4. Clyde / Harden
    5. Rudy T
    6. Yao
    7. Calvin
    8. Booker T
    9. Ralph Sampson

101.. JJ Fatt

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

harden aint even in his final form yet

Daddy Long Legs and BigMaloe like this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

He's Goku

Daddy Long Legs and BigMaloe like this.
  6. jcmoon

i love james harden too. every GM would take drexler first on an NBA draft. he'd be even better, correct.

you nailed it! its a ringless, regular season system, so far. And without Ryan Anderson camping out 2 feet or more beyond the 3 point line. harden wouldn't have the space to do what he does. i don't think the posters on this board actually see the spacing that harden gets in those lanes. It'd be a miracle if we can beat the warriors, without a legit post-up threat against a good defense.

7. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Drexler only averaged over 7 rebounds 3 times with his peak coming in 88-89 where he averaged 7.9. Career wise, it's true that Harden isn't the better rebounder, but it's also true that he started his career as a 6th man and has had a steady climb up culminating in this year where he surpassed Drexler's best seasons. I'd venture to say that you think dunks are always the best finishes, but they're not the most effective when you're in traffic unless it's a player along the lines of a Shaq (i.e. a big man). Harden isn't a better dunker for sure, but he has far more skill in finishing in a variety of ways over larger players. You're wrong on both counts.

8. jcmoon

how old are you?

9. jevjnd

Old enough to have watched Drexler back in Portland. Apparently you're too old.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bring it on
    [​IMG]

Harden or Akeem
    Harden or Moses
    Harden or Hayes
    Harden or Shaq
    Harden or TDuncan
    Harden or FTW
    Harden or DD
    Harden or Jordan

11. jcmoon

you do understand there is a difference between ball-handling, and finishing right?

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Regarding rebounding, I think Drexler is better. For a while, he averaged almost 3 offensive rebounds per game. If Harden replaced Drexler on those Trailblazer teams, I don't think he'd average as many rebounds as Drexler. Not only was Drexler taller and longer, but Portland had guys (Buck Williams, Kersey) who wouldn't let Harden have as many rebounds as Capela does.

Regarding finishing, Drexler is better, and frankly, it's not close. In addition to the dunks, Drexler had the best finger roll I've ever seen in person. He could jump from the free throw line and finish in traffic with a finger roll. There's nothing wrong with Harden being inferior in this aspect; all else being equal, an above-the-rim player is going to be a better finisher than a below-the-rim player, and Harden doesn't have any sort of physical edge (i.e. Isaiah Thomas' speed) to close the gap.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

One championship would propel

Harden.may not be the dunker Drexler was but he is an awesome finisher

Bottom line Harden is a better scorer regardless of era

Drexler is the better athlete but Harden has the better stats

His stats are in Oscar LeBron and Jordan's league

Maybe that is a result of playing in a guard friendly era but Harden's individual stats are in elite company above Drexler

jevjnd likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, the "pace and space" system is "ringless" and it's the year 2001 and Shaq is the best player in basketball..

Literally every single team, including every champion this decade, uses at least some elements of the "ringless" system that D'Antoni popularized in the early 2000's with the Suns...the D'Antoni Suns pacing alone, that was revolutionary in 2004 is now the league average.

D'Antoni's Suns took 28% of their shots from 3 point line in 2005 - leading the league by far.

Last year's Cavs took 36%.

The Warriors were a pace and space team
    The Heat were a pace and space team
    Even the stodgy old spurs used elements of when Parker was in his prime.

D'Antoni might not have coached an NBA champion but to pretend like "the system" is unproven is like questioning whether there's a future in this whole "internet" thing.

#114 SamFisher, May 3, 2017
    jevjnd likes this.
  15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I'm not sure about that. I know we hate to admit it, but drawing fouls is integral to Harden's game, and in the late 80's through the late 90's, a lot of those fouls didn't exist.

16. jcmoon

just because those teams shoot a lot of threes and run small ball doesn't make it the D'antoni system. harden is playing the steve nash roll.... pick and roll, with three other three point shooters, and big who can roll. he's doing the exact same thing nash was able to do, because harden is a much better player now than when he first got here. he is able to post and fade away in the midrange on a lot of guards in the mid range, once he gets in the lane. the warriors,heat, and spurs were not like the rockets and suns who live and die by the pick and roll, and by the three point shooters making there threes. there's a big difference.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It actually does make it D'Antoni's system.

18. jcmoon

we have three bad defenders: harden, anderson, and williams. if a team can shut down our pick and roll, or we aren't hitting our threes, we lose. the heat, warriors, and cavs were nothing like rockets and suns. they have more offensive options and better defense. lets not compare those teams to us. just cuz we blew out an old suns team.

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I built a room and covered the walls with Clyde Drexler "poster" dunks, I'd need a really big room.
    Clyde was nasty and severely underrated.
    But in todays NBA, Harden would fare better ... so I'll go with Harden.

tinman and jevjnd like this.
  20. jevjnd

You do understand that Harden is better than Drexler at both, right?

#120 jevjnd, May 3, 2017
    SamFisher likes this.