1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden or Clyde Drexler in his prime?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 18, 2014.

?

Real Comparison: Harden or Drexler?

1. Harden

161 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Drexler

90 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. Exiled

Exiled Member

I pick Clyde
    He can play well with Hakeem
    Harden can't

2. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I think that we can all agree that it became Harden this year.

don grahamleone and Pen15clubber like this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

honestly I can't say because I didn't see clyde. I was like 4-6 years old at the time.

I can say that Harden is the most amazing player that I've ever had the privilege of watching play in a Rockets uniform though

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Still an If because you do not know how good Drexler can be in this era.

Harden and Lebron James are the most versatile players todate.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Dont forget, Drexler as the main guy took his Portland team to the finals twice.

Drexler and James Harden would complement each other really well.

Clyde was a great team player and would easily play off the ball with Harden. Harden needs the ball to be effective.

Drexler had a knack for timely cuts to the basket as well as relieving pressure on the primary ball handler (Terry Porter).

Of course when you needed to, he could turn into a primary playmaker as well.

This is in addition to all the rebounds, steals, defense, and toughness he gave you.

Drexler was a tough competitor and had a nasty side.

You had to watch the game to appreciate how many things Drexler did on the court to help the team. If his jump shot wasnt suspect at times, he would be just as good as MJ.

I consider Clyde LebronJames-lite.

#25 Zboy, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    BiGGieStuFF and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then you have a poll between

mini Lebron vs. lebron lite

7. the shark

the shark Member

Yep!! Clyde played in an era where defensively you could practically mug a guy.

As of right now (IMO) I go with Clyde without hesitation (especially since he was a two way player).

However let's see how things play out in the coming years. Need to see Harden do his thing on THE biggest stage (the finals).

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. hakeemthagreat

The REAL question is how good would Drexler had been in a MDA offense....Food for thought

9. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

its not a really fair comparison, because harden is a point guard, and better than drexler at that. And drexler was always a straight 2 guard, second to only michael jordan in his prime...remember, we did not get drexler in his prime, he was old then. Drexler was a better scorer, more explosive. harden a better point guard. drexler could rise up and shoot over people that harden can't. harden needs space, and needs to run the pick and roll with a stretch four.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Drexler - but Harden is better without a doubt. Not by a whole lot mind you, but Harden is just as good of a scorer, probably a better defender, and clearly a better passer.

11. mightybosstone

Harden at his peak has been the more productive and efficient player by a pretty big margin. He has also already matched Clyde by finishing in the top 10 in MVP voting four times and will likely do it a fifth time in a month with his second runner up finish.

The barometers where Clyde has Harden beat are longevity, the defensive side of the ball and postseason success. But Harden has plenty of time to build up his reputation in these areas. Harden is already easily the greatest Rockets guard of all-time, and I think he will one day pass Clyde on the all-time SG list to crack the top 5 behind MJ, Kobe, West and Wade.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

what does everyone here still say that harden is a shooting guard? without a stretch four, and two other 3 point shooters, he would not have the space to operate the pick and roll, and wouldn't have those lanes to drive, or dribble and get his shot off the dribble! harden is a great player, but the system is giving him those numbers. he can't run around screens and rise up over good defenders with a man in his face as well as drexler and ppl like reggie miller. straight 2 guards. Harden needs space! he needs the ball. its not a fair comparison! he can't post up as well as drexler. he's not as good of a defender. not as athletic, he can't run coast to coast on the break as well either.

drexler ran into jordan's bulls and isaiahs pistons, or he would have easily won a championship in his prime. he was hands down a better player.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Drexler's smooth gliding technique could not have been hold a candle to.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

People underrate Hardens ability to pass the ball.
    Much better offensive player.

jevjnd likes this.
  15. photojoe

photojoe Member

Harden.

Next question?

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

The best thing I love about these comparison threads, is Harden always obliterates the other guy and becomes the way better player.

Harden or Paul George
    Harden or Jimmy Butler
    Harden or Westbrook
    Harden or tmac
    Harden or Clyde?

Bring it on...

jevjnd likes this.
  17. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I love Clyde. But James is going to have a slightly better career, health pending.

Through their first 600 career games, James is a much more efficient scorer and Clyde is a touch better at about everything else (about equal in assists). But from here on James is going to be near the top of the league in assists and that'll do big things for his all-time standing.

Absolute primes, you're probably talking about '88 or '89 Drexler against current Harden. It absolutely depends on who their teammates are - whether you need a tough, athletic do-it-all swingman or a pick-and-roll point guard. Drexler probably succeeds more as the star of an average 80s team since there aren't many three-point shooters to spread the floor, and Harden succeeds more as the star of a 21st century team.

If I'm building a franchise around this choice I pick Harden. If I'm adding this choice to a superteam I pick Drexler.

18. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Harden is once in a generation talent like Hakeem, MJ, Lebron. Hear me out. As a fan, if you can TRULY appreciate what Harden does in the game......it's poetic...kinda like Arian Foster and how smoothly he was able to cut and run during his prime. Harden can do it all and is a VERY smart/crafty player. He possesses intangibles that transcend the game like the aforementioned greats. I can't believe Morey was able to acquire Harden at such a young age in his career. Thank God.

PyroTex, BigMaloe, jevjnd and 2 others like this.
  19. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Wade? Come on brother. I think Wade in his prime was amazing.....but I'd take Harden over prime Wade any day. The other 3 you mentioned.....not much I can say about that. Harden could over take Kobe...but he needs some rings to justify it.

jevjnd likes this.
  20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Excellent post. My dad compares him to foster too. Some athletes play in such an artistic and expressive way

BigMaloe likes this.