1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's going to be Westbrook and it was always going to be Westbrook. He doesn't play good defense and it doesn't matter. He doesn't score efficiently and it doesn't matter. He plays angry and people like that. Harden just isn't as well liked as Westbrook and he doesn't have the man against he world angle. Add all that to what is a really spectacular accomplishment averaging a triple double and this was over before it began.

J Sizzle, Houstunna and Stormy1234 like this.
  2. Wylo

Wylo Member

If only Harden had better month in January, the situation would have been different. Harden had all the momentum behind him, then he really dropped the ball. Made his MVP case much more difficult to support, tbh. I still think he should win the MVP, but now it's more arguable rather than definitive.

3. the shark

the shark Member

Last I checked there's still 25 more games left in the season.

Let's see how it plays out.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Harden is head and shoulders the MVP. Reggie Miller's quote is typical of the people that will vote for Westbrook. Lazy media members who can't look beyond 3 statistics.

So if Harden averaged 2 more rebounds he'd be the MVP? Averaging a triple double is awesome but Harden is having an amazing statiscal season as well and has the better team. This shouldn't be close.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Westbrook will not average a triple double

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No, they were winning more without him, which is kind of the definition of MVP.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  7. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

Westbrook went 17 4 4 tonight

Let's hope this will help him drop below avg a triple double for the season.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  8. jayfree

jayfree Member

OKC is only 6 games above .500 right now and Westbrook is only 5 assists over the 10.0 average mark for the season.

Westbrook will NOT win MVP. If it worked like that then Kobe and Iverson would have won it every year.

9. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

My take is that Westbrook got the all star starter snub ... Probably will end up with the MVP if he can average a triple double.

People say Westbrook won't get thriple double. I think he will go out and try to get it.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I hear you... but just being fair.... they said Westbrook guarded the player, not, guarded the player WELL.

When was the last time we PURPOSELY designed Harden to guard the opponent's main perimeter player?

I just trying to keep perspective.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I guess I just don't really understand/care about the difference between guarding somebody badly or choosing not guarding them at all.

Why is it bad that Harden guards lesser offensive players in order to put better defenders on better offensive players? Maybe the Thunder would be better if they chose to do the same.

But then again...stats are more important than wins this season, according to many, so I guess Westbrook should keep doing what he's doing.

12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yes he will,

his teammates give up any rebound possible to him.

The numbers and eye test clearly bear this out.

80% of hid rebs are uncontested

#472 DonKnock, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  13. MystikArkitect

Wheels are falling off in OKC. Legit argument for Thomas and Leonard being above Russ at this point.

Richie_Rich and Wylo like this.
  14. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Wow, thats scary. Only 25 games? I honestly remember when it was November and the season just began.

Faacking time needs to chill and slow down.

BigShasta and J Sizzle like this.
  15. Htowngenius

Htowngenius Member

Leonard is without a doubt above Westbrook at this point to anyone who understands basketball. Records need to be considered as well as how and efficiency of the stats. Leonard is the only player that has a chance against James. It's James v Leonard at this point and the balls in James court. Rox need to stay within 5 games of the Spurs. Leonard is on an absolute tear in the past month and if he continues this 30 point scoring average for the rest of the year the narrative will change and he will win, assuming the Spurs build on the lead. Thomas is outstanding but bostons record will be the downfall.

16. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Did anyone watch the nba on TNT ?? Kenny asked Shaq how come harden isn't listed a top 5 player in his ranking, his response was "anybody can have a good season", loool, what a dumbass

DonKnock likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This reveals the how silly the argument is.

So if Westbrook gets 9.9 rebounds...he's no longer the MVP?

I get it, but it doesn't work for a 7th seed. If OKC were 4th I'd give it to Westbrook, and they can still can finish there but right now? No way.

18. Drogba

Drogba Member

Kinda sucks that our January form cost Harden the MVP. We were well on pace for 60 wins & then everything just fell apart.

19. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

I agree with you 100%. My point was people can't use the "he averaged a triple double for the season so he should be MVP" argument.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm not entirely sure it already has cost him the award, but what you say is largely true. Harden needs ~60 wins just for a chance to overcome Westbrook's 1.8 extra rebounds per game at ~45 wins. In the eyes of many, Harden is so completely and totally inferior to Westbrook, that he needs to win almost 20% more of his games just to make it a conversation.

It is entirely different than any other year's standards and criteria. And I'd bet good money that you flip the players and Harden's the one averaging a triple double on his way to a 7 seed, Westbrook is running away with MVP, and the narrative becomes guys like Shaq saying "you can't give it to a player below a 4 seed. Westbrook is just winning more games!".

#480 J Sizzle, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017