1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Harden has to have at least 2 great games before the year is up. It would also help if the Thunder drop to 7th place.

DonKnock and Reeko like this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I thought Westbrook had moved into the lead, but his team just dropped 2 straight home games. One to the Spurs which normally would be understandable, but they were up more than 20 points in that game before losing. Then they lost yesterday to the Hornets who are a lottery team in the East. And it wasn't even close.

Despite the Grizzlies p-ssing one away to the Lakers, there's still a greater likelihood the Thunder wind up 7th than move up to 4th or 5th. Shouldn't winning still matter in the MVP race?

DonKnock and YaoMing#1 like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It doesn't matter what the Thunder finish. Westbrook has the triple double average, and that is his main criteria. Anybody who's already voting Westbrook isn't going to be swayed by anything other than the stats.

Now...I agree Harden has to have at least a few dominant games to have a prayer, but once again, nothing he does is going to swing any Westbrook voter. His only thing is keeping the ones who are already in his camp.

Either way...it's likely Westbrook's award.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

We've got the Nuggets and Pistons coming up. Harden will have had 4 full days of rest coming into that Nuggets game. He should look to kill those 2 teams to make his final MVP statement and then start preparing for the playoffs.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He needs to have a big finish, those games against GS and Portland hurt.

DD

6. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Man I hope he sits out other games as well.

J Sizzle likes this.
  7. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

#MediaConspiracy...lol

i was being sarcastic. I know that wasn't very clear - my bad.

DonKnock and Reeko like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

3 votes for Harden. 3 votes for Curry. 0 votes for Westbrook.

FYI, that Kia MVP Fan vote thing does not factor into the MVP voting. That is all media.

DonKnock likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Are u sure about the fan vote? This was from an article from last year...

"In repeating as the NBA's most valuable player, Stephen Curry became the first player to win the award unanimously in its 61-year history. Curry, the 11th player to win back-to-back MVP awards, received all 131 votes from 130 writers and broadcasters and one collective fan vote via the Internet."

DonKnock likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not 100% sure, because things have changed a lot this year. So who knows if the fan vote has changed. Nevertheless, it is only 1 vote. Unlikely it will mean much.

11. 9baller

9baller Member

Great, now James is going to lose by 1 vote!

12. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

reminds me of 2015 when everyone was saying Harden has won MVP and turns out his votes didn't even make it close.

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

yup...it's a shame that Westbrook's not gonna get the MVP after averaging a triple double, but oh well ;)

DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Every year we end up finding out the winners of these awards before they are released. Particularly the MVP.

I wonder what chances are in the NBA keeps these awards all under wraps until June 26th. I mean, how likely is WOJ gonna tip these?

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's going to be very hilarious when this quote gets said a hundred times by every media member...

"I had Harden all season, but when it came down to it...I had to vote for Westbrook. He's averaging a triple double!"

AirBud#10 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Thats so illogical. Is this just an obsession with rounded numbers? You can throw out a lot of impressive seasons where players made nba history.

Im not discrediting westbrook. He is incredible but he isnt in a class of his own. What makes what hes doing more impressive than breaking the 3 pt record like steph did last year or the kind of numbers (with greater efficiency) that harden is doing this year.

There are a handful of extremely special players that do special things every generation. Harden is one of those special players and you are on a rockets board. If dantoni made it part of the game plan to let harden grab more rebounds at the expense of our bigs, then would Harden all of a sudden become a better player?

I really think the human brain is just obsessed with how clean and rounded of a number 10 is

18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Ive thought about that too

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The question then becomes...

Why is it historical? Why is 30/10/10 historical and why is 29/11/8 not historical? Why would 10/10/10 be historical and why would 9.9/9.9/9.9 not be historical?

Westbrook's MVP case is based on on archaic overvaluing of an arbitrary cut-off mark. Is it incredible what he's doing? Sure. But it's no more incredible than what Harden's doing, unless you're purely looking at box scores.

Having said that...many of the voters will value this archaic cut-off mark. It's probably what will lead to Westbrook winning. But it doesn't make it any less silly.