1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

You can't really complain if he doesn't get it now.

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Who says I can't!?

BigMaloe, T for 3 and JayGoogle like this.
  3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Whilst I agree he is playing himself out of the MVP race with his recent stretch, I think it's absolutely ludicrous that a stretch of a few games can erase an entire season's worth of mostly greatness.

No one would give a sh*t and remove him as the MVP if he had a few horrible games to start the year.

But because it's towards the end of the season it's the thing most fresh in voters' minds.

All the vocal supporters of Westbrook have their reasons for voting Westbrook for MVP easily refuted, yet they don't seem to care about the common sense things. Or they don't even realise it. For some of the guys I think they don't have an actual understanding of the game of basketball it would be the latter.

At this point I've talked myself into acknowledging he isn't winning the MVP, just to ease the fury I'll have when he isn't named.

Bottom line is I get way, way too angry thinking that the narrative for Westbrook winning is basically the premise the exact same voters used as to not give Harden the MVP two years ago.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Harden's team is the 3rd best team in the NBA, record wise.

This was after a complete year of Harden bashing. Saying he's a sorry leader. Plays no defense. Ball hogs. That he did Dwight wrong...

He proved all these suckas wrong. After slurping on Curry for 2 years and giving him all the praise for his team's success suddenly Harden gets no praise for his team's success while Westbrook gets praised for underachieving with his team..

[spoilers]
    ESPN was already on Triple double watch before a game was even played...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sports Illustrated didn't have much between both teams, but this invalidates the whole "Westbrook playing with trash." argument.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/spoilers]

Alright, Fox sports and NBA did have the Rockets above the Thunder. Fox Sports actually seemed the only ones able to call them being a good team. NBA.com had them over the Thunder by one spot, clearly not the huge difference the media would have you believe now. All the whole "Westbrook playing with scrubs!" narrative.

Obvious conspiracy going on here.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Only if they think the Rox are important enough for them to conspire against.

In the past they did not even try to take us seriously.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think we can whine whenever...:po_O;)

7. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Harden and the Rockets brass are stupid. He should have sat out this entire road trip and would have had a week + rest and 6 games to sharpen up before the playoffs. we are locked into the #3 seed. These games dont matter in the grand scheme of things.. Now.... he has hurt his MVP case and he has hurt his team with this poor play... and his wrist hasnt healed up... shame on him.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Think if he does win this year, how will he ever lose it. The guy is going to be getting a triple double the rest of his career.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Are we talking about MVP or media coverage? It is historic and it will be talked about forever as the 2nd person to average a triple double..... and also not win MVP, just like the 1st guy.

Historical precedence says James Harden will win and really it's not close. Equally impressive numbers and more wins. Westbrook is in the conversation because he averages 10.4 rebounds and not 9.9.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Agreed. I think Harden lobbies to play regardless of the MVP situation but that certainly plays a factor. The team has a responsibility to sit him down regardless of what he wants. He is clearly not the same player right now and resting due to legit injury probably hurts his stock a lot less than playing through it and looking like ass.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Momentum absokuteky matters. Its not always how you start that matters but how you finish absoluteky matters

WB had monster games in their comeback wins against Mavs and Magic and had people creaming over him. Fair enough

Then Harden had a chance in two games on National TV to regain the momentum but failed to do so. Two bad peerformaces and two L's.

You have his most vocal supporters like Steven A Smith finally put WB joint MVP after months of saying Harden MVP.

Lets hope for a Trump here.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

no way harden wins it now. it's over.

13. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Rockets will finish with the 3 seed, Russ will finish with a triple double. average The only real variable left is where the Thunder are seeded. If they are a 4 or 5, I think it Russ gets it. A 6 or a 7, I think it is Hardens. The question is, where do you all think the Thunder finish? To me it is going to be THE tiebreaker. I need people with better knowledge of the NBA to break down the likelihood of the different places OKC could finish.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The gap is closing.

[​IMG]

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Easy, the narrative changes.

Steve Nash had it exactly correct, the award says more about the voters than the players in contention.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

DonKnock likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

call a waaambulance

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden has never once been injured in his career, and a late wrist injury is what cost him the MVP.

Houston sports man...

DonKnock and BigM like this.
  19. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden will get his chance next year if he can keep up this level of production and the Rockets win 56+ games. The media will probably be looking to give the award to Kawhi heading into next season. They won't reward Westbrook twice for putting up stats on a bottom seed playoff team. Lebron won't have the historical stats, and I don't see Cleveland getting any better in the upcoming years. Steph won't be a 3x MVP, and KD probably won't get enough support.

Harden will have to focus on lowering his turnovers and improving his 3 point shooting. Something like 28 points, 7 rebounds, 10 assist, 4-5 turnovers per game, and 45-37-86 shooting splits on a 56+ win team should be enough.