1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden: deceptively athletic... or potbelly sloth with mad foot skills?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jocar, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wasn't joking. Have you ever seen a bearded guy and say, "Man, he looks really athletic!" Beard and athleticism simply don't go together.

I suspect that he grew a beard to deceive his opponents. You think he did it for the look? No women like beards, and Harden likes women. See, Parsons doesn't want to ruin his look just for basketball's sake. He is clearly not as dedicated as Harden. (OK, this IS a joke.)

2. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

All-team Bubble Butt:

Baron Davis
    James Harden
    Bonzi Wells
    Charles Barkley
    Shaq

/bubblebutt.mp3

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No it's not.

6%-13% is the average body fat of athletes. Do you know why there is a range? Because different sports have different demand.

You used soccer as an example which is an extremely poor one. Speed is far more integral in soccer than most other sports. You are heavily disadvantaged if you fall behind in speed, so of course minimal body fat is expected. There is a reason why soccer players don't bulk up and go for a lean body shape.

Also, don't speculate what you think his body fat % is. If your "eye tests" tell you that he is 12% body fat and is on the "chubbier side". Then your "eye tests" should also tell you that little to no NBA athletes could stay in front of Harden.

There are a number of players in the NBA right now with high body fat but are terrific athletes. Harrison Barnes for example was measured at 9.6% body fat.

4. T.MAC

T.MAC Member

5. SevenMinuteAbs

It's funny how Cristiano looks like a great athlete, as opposed to messi who'd probably get picked after me in a pickup game of any sport, yet he's a ridiculous talent.

6. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Can't wait until James uses his size to post up. How much do you think he really weights? He's been listed at 220.

7. hltiki

hltiki Member

He was trying it towards the end of the season, but it failed, and failed miserable.

I remember Big Ben commentating and saying how it was one of the ugliest things he's seen...

But I know that it will be different the upcoming season

8. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

harden is gonna kill it next year - i'm getting pumped for this season. i want to see if dwight can run.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

First of all, you're judging this guy because he's carrying two percent more BF in the off season. Sounds crazy to me.

Second, you're comparing Harden's measured BF to the BF of others' based on your eye test. Does that seem fair? In reality they are probably closer to 10% than you realize, and Harden will likely be at or close to 10% during the season. 1-2% BF isn't really going to affect performance at that level, maybe at any level.

Third, soccer requires running for a longer distance and time. They probably want lighter players, so they can handle that running. Basketball doesn't compare to that, so 1-2% more BF isn't a big issue. And you're still doing an eye test, so they may be fatter than you realize.

And like someone mentioned in another thread, Harden has an anterior pelvic tilt, which make his stomach stick out more than usual. This guy is clearly not fat, but with a shirt on his stomach may stick out some because of his APT:

[​IMG]

Also, it could just be water retention, not fat. He may eat too much sodium in his diet. That's usually the difference between looking cut and still too soft at that BF, which is why bodybuilders like to eat natural diuretics to release the extra water, like asparagus.

#149 RV6, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  10. herro

herro Member

Harden and Evans are physical monsters

11. Raven

Raven Member

Potbelly is going to be a top three vote getter for MVP. Book it.

:grin:

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Lotta posters sound like they are judging from Calvin Klein models not athletes. There are a lot of muscles in your torso. A lot of athletes with large-looking stomachs have strong muscles in there and are way beyond your fave Hollywood abs. You want the guy to be thin as a pencil when he is driving to the rim? I think a lot of people with no kind of stomach muscles are just blabbing in this thread.

13. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

15. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Give me the pot belly that drops 25.9 all day. There's a lot of 6 packs still riding the pine.

16. pippsux

pippsux Member

Who gives a $4it if he is getting buckets.

17. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

what about Mr T? that dude looks like he could dominate any sport

18. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

that would be a crazy team

19. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

what worries me about James Soft-on is that he is only 24. most of the bubble butts you guys mentioned didnt get pudgy until much later in their careers

Shaq was super lean and weighed only 290 when he came into the league. Baron was super ripped and even Bonzi was ok.

So what will James Soft-on look like when he is 29 or 30. He is trending worse than the fatties of the past :(

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Fify :grin:

On a serious note, all the dudes crying about Harden's bf need to get off the Internet and focus on their own bf. Harden flat out balls regardless of what his bf or one-step vertical is. Or maybe we should trade him for Gerald Green. I hear he is ripped.