1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden: deceptively athletic... or potbelly sloth with mad foot skills?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jocar, Aug 6, 2013.

1. jocar

jocar Member

Draftexpress. It was probably way before Felton got fat. It actually says "N/A" so I think he broke the fat calipers.

Holy moly, Cousins said 16.4% body fat!

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Would love to see those same players all attempt the same drills/tests today and see how much they have improved or decreased in specific areas

3. jocar

jocar Member

185lb bench press (how many reps they can do).

Shaq = 12.2% fat when he entered the league
    Baby Davis, Barkley = N/A

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

That bench press # is for only 185??? I have a very hard time believing Iggy can only put up 185 FOUR TIMES. I'd think he could get it easily 15, maybe 20 times. No way I'm stronger than all these guys.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I like how suddenly some people are experts on which percentage body fat is considered high in the NBA.

Harrison Barnes has a 9.6% body fat. Did that make much of a difference on his athletic abilities on court?

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

having long arms makes benchpressing alot tougher

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

It really makes you wonder, if James lost a little weight (or turned it into muscle), would he be even better and more athletic/stronger?

8. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Harden is one of those pudgy kids at school that can run and jump

He looks pudgy but still has some skills

9. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Losing some weight would put less stress on his knees. Should cut some of it.

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Kinda reminds me of Frank Gore. He always looks fat, but still really athletic and one of the best at what he does.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

yep, alot of elite body builders are midgets cause its easier to lift heavier weights. Watching Dwight Howard do BP is rediculous, the bar seems to go up forever.

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I'm also surprised about that.

Iggy has a longer wingspan though.

It makes his dunks so effortless

13. verysimplejason

10.1 % body fat is still very much athletic. I'm also guessing he's got much more muscles and I think that's more important. That good bench press rating means he doesn't mind too much contact thus he's fouled almost all the time he drives.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Those are numbers taken when they did the measurements couple months before the draft. I believe Iggy is only 19-20 then.

15. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

Are there a lot of people that think Harden isn't fast or athletic? This is just a guess but maybe those people's perspectives are skewed because of how run-down Harden was by the end of last year. Cap his minutes all season and I imagine people will stop saying that kind of stuff.

16. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I always wonder why NBA players never really make drastic transformations physically. They stay mostly the same size. Kevin Love is one that comes to mind.

Harden needs to get in contact with the dude who trained Leonidas/300 Spartans and Superman. He can get extremely shredded in just 3 months judging by his current build.

17. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

lol... thanks for looking it up.

Cousins does at times look like he ate his cousins :grin:.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Damn, that's impressive. Harden is long and strong. That's how he drives to the basket so well.

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Why is this an either/or thread? Can't Harden be fairly labeled as a deceptively athletic potbelly sloth with mad foot skills?

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Harden is very athletic and there's nothing wrong with a 10.1% bodyfat. Sure he isn't Corey Maguette, but he isn't Corey Maguette, and for that we should be thankful.