1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

James Dolan vs Tilman Fertitta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 3, 2020.

?

Who's the better NBA owner

1. Tilman

57 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Dolan

74 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Such veteran. Very leadership

2. napalm06

He's a fry cook that trims quality at restaurants for margins and has become a billionaire by doing it at massive scale. It's the only way he knows how to be.

#162 napalm06, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Rockets record the year after they traded Moses Malone: 14-68
    Rockets record the next year, after drafting Ralph Sampson #1: 29-53

Some of y'all are way too optimistic.

clos4life, bumbum09 and YOLO like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What happened after 84?

5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I know finals are coming up soon napalm how things going?

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

So you're banking on us not only being lucky enough to get the #1 pick in this year's draft, but also to do the same in next year's?

And to be smart enough to draft the right guys both times?

Like I said, irrational optimism.

7. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Rockets record the next year, after drafting Ralph Sampson #1, Rodney McCray at #3, getting Robert Reid back from Retirement, and adding Lewis Lloyd in free agency: 29-53

Fixed that for ya. What would be the equivalent for the Rockets now, getting Cade and Evan Mobley in the draft, Eric Gordon back, and adding Kelly Oubre in free agency?

Richie_Rich and topfive like this.
  8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Dolan, by all reports, actually wants to win and is more than happy to spend money to win. He is simply incompetent. Tilman on the other hand is just cheap and is looking for reasons to shed salary instead of trying to win.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Thanks. I'd forgotten we got McCray at #3, too.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Dolan is incompetent, but unfortunately, so is Tilman

if Dolan is still a worse owner than him, it’s only because of longevity

under Tilman we have gone from 65 wins to bottom of the league in 3 years...that is impressively pathetic

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I believe

12. tinman

Supporting Member

The argument on why each owner is ‘hated’ are completely different
    Dolan is rich and spends money all the time on the Knicks

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  13. napalm06

Good, good. I passed my "Stadium Food" class by defending my thesis on using greasier, cheaper food as a profit strategy.

I'm having trouble with the "Payroll Optimization" class though. There's something called a Luxury Tax Threshold and I'm being told it's bad to go beyond that even if it's best for the business. Pretty confusing.

sirjesse and homewight like this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

15. tinman

Supporting Member

You have to give props to Dolan
    He actually cares about the Knicks and would never sell his team
    @J.R. and move to Florida

Os Trigonum and J.R. like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Two questions
    Where are the championship trophies located ?
    Who sold the Rockets , a winning team?

17. DonatelloLimestone

Alright, would it make you happy if we agreed Les is subpar, sucks, or not a true houstonian at the very least?
    But saying Alexander sucks doesn’t show that Tillman sucks and not just fumbled downright tried to take some seams out of the damn ball mid game and put em in his pocket and throughout our championship window, generational talent, and now turned it into where we are a laughing stock in the league. Every team rebuilds, I get that, no ones mad not to spend this year or this summer, but I’ve never seen Houston hit this depth where anytime you turn it on tv we’re a laughing stock. And I get it those guys are clowns who don’t matter, but the agents talk(dont look at MDA leaving, look in 2019 when once again he volunteered to the press that MDA was considering retiring soon, then gave a contract number which he doubled totally mirepresented), go check how many times an owner has done that and a coach’s agent had to goto the press to clarify that he lied about the offer. Go see the story of Bzdelik. How many GMs have left 24 milllion/3 years on the table? How many owners take the mike after a tough playoff loss like 2019 and say they need to learn killer instinct which he will instill? Basically demanding a better result for a worse product. I mean the receipts are all there, thats just basketball, he had some embarrassing lies throughout the pandemic which he all put on himself bc of his need to goto the press and be the ‘face’.

I was happy, no ecstatic, that a Houstonian bought the team then the fact that he is a season ticket holder, I thought we hit the jackpot. Remember the other two big buys are this point was for La who got an out of town guy who flies in from Seattle an wish he had a team there but LA market is too good and also Brooklyn who went from a Russian to Chinese owner, total unaccountability.

Just like any of us, we knew we had generational talent, and that a local owner could come in, maybe add something, he would go down as a local legend for history if you deliver us those titles(and keep em in Houston!). But go back to his first offseason, we had bird rights to every single player(didn’t use, not even as trade assets), we had MLE(didn’t use), TPE over 10 million(didn’t use), Draft picks(spent the ones we had before Russ on LTS).

Getting rid of Ariza, who chris paul himself made a point was the “glue of the team” the X factor they missed most in 2019? I’m down with that, Champs gotta make tough decisions, but we replaced him with...James Ennis on a minimum contract...ok...Ennis is playin in MDA’s short rotation that very year he was traded while playing for....a top 55 protected 2nd rounder, nada...nothing...we also dumped knights contract for shumpert, lost a 1st round to do that, but don’t worry...we got under the tax conveniently. We also kept Carmelo on our finances for several months on our books, he was a minimum, why? So we could trade him lat on and get under the tax. We found Daniel house and cut him mid season run during the years we ‘gave harden all he wantd’ and he’s playing full on heavy minutes, and games, but our new starting 3 was let go of for months until it made sense for the tax.

following season, like so many staff, bzdelik who almost left the season before negotiating with tillman(how many owners negotiate the coaches rather than the gm they hired?) often citing ‘friends and family’ which is professional courtesy now in Houston for not wanting to work for the guy who wrote “shut up and listen” and new Prodigy, his 24 year old son Patrick who is involved with every decision. Oh yea, Bzdelik who was our associate head coach and head of defense when we were at our best went onto the pelicans.

shumpert, could’ve resigned him and traded him bc we were at the cap...nah, let him go.

So yea, I was wildly disappointed and now all we have to freaking talk about are hoping we hit on the draft at 52 percent just to hit a top 4, not top 1 for Cade. And the moves above, they didn’t help the GM or franchise future financial flexiblity, they didn’t help the coach or harden win games, they didn’t help the fans(who had prices raised on him), it went to the pockets of one man.

So yea, its been one of the fates burn downs I’ve seen. I’m still always wishing us well, I think we’re still in a good position to rebuild outside of wall’s contract and if we got a new smart gm, young players I like, but that doesn’t change any objectivity to the trajectory of our franchise was changed with tillman in an embarrassing way. Just like harden doesn’t = the Rockets, Tillman doesn’t = rockets, this is the Houston Rockets...our fans pay, we don’t get anything material back, we just love the team, we’re allowed to be objective and not be some sort of “dear leader” sheep or we’re not true fans. I want the best of this team, I hope tillman gets wind since he is very celebrity conscious and changes his finances in order, pays for a winner finally, and I’ll give ea standing ovation and would love to be wrong about him. I do feel people can learn.

Dolan is also an egomaniac who meddles and hurts the culture and perception of the team, just like tillman. But he spends, and in this league cheap wins are few and far between especially as the league now has growing revenue, buying a franchise is now in the billions, gone are the 90s, and 00s. You need more, tillman has the highest paid ever, he’s also the most leveraged ever, but if you’re going to talk a big game like him, deliver. Don’t water this thing down like some mid level restaurant where you have a good enough entertainment draw(pay for the stars who fill the seats) then screw cohesion and role players which is what you need to win rings.

Cmon man, didn’t mean to go long winded on ya, but tried to keep the facts in there. This is about our team, the rockets, this ain’t about tillman. I don’t know if your name means some relation so you have to deflect about a guy who is long gone, screw Alexander. I don’t want to think about our owner or anyone, just our team, but like is said. Our trajectory has changed with tillman,

I do agree, I hope we get Cade. I think we have potential for a good rebuild, I like the spirit on our team, I want silas to get more of a. Shot, I LOVE Tate, KMJ,KPJ,Wood are all showing some damn good things, we also have clutch fans mvp Kelly for half a season at least. We both want the rockets to do well, I believe stone can rebuild this thing, I hope tillman stays the hell out of the way, heeds his own advice and “shut up and listen”s

#177 DonatelloLimestone, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    clos4life and tinman like this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

Clutchfans is short sighted and always forgets history
    We have sucked many times before
    The Knicks fans can hate dolan and root for their team

cause that’s why we are fans

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Wall came with a first round pick ..... and Westbrook probably would have willed the team to half a dozen wins or so.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

he doesn't want to be part of your organization either. LOL

MettaWorldPete likes this.