1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Dolan vs Tilman Fertitta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 3, 2020.

?

Who's the better NBA owner

1. Tilman

57 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Dolan

74 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Tilman just needs more time. The window is wide open.

topfive likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It makes basketball sense to not sign washed up scrubs like Arizona to long term contracts.

It makes basketball sense to avoid the tax to maintain roster flexibility.

Trading CP3 for Westbrook makes no basketball sense, but Harden was demanding it. What are you gonna do, tell him no? Then you'd just be here screeching about how the owner ran Harden out of town by refusing his demands.

Like I said, you are taking the last charitable interpretation for every single move... wonder why that is. It's almost like you hate him for non Rockets reasons and are merely looking for an excuse to complain.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Tell me another team that saw its coach leave because of the owner, the GM leave because of the owner and the top two players ask to be traded because of the owner.... this all happened in the last 3-4 MONTHS.

That doesn’t even get into him bad mouthing his own players, demanding the GM trade draft picks to save money, demanding players be traded and consistently lying to the fans about the luxury tax.

On top of that he mocked another owner that IS spending the tax and is trying to win and we see Tilman all the time on television whining about losing money while he has a 200 million dollar yacht harbored.

Tilman IS terrible and everyone knows it. The people I know that have been friends with Tilman for years don’t even both defending him to me any more. He SUCKS.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its like having to choose between ebola or the black death.

harold bingo and topfive like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...if you want to defend him go ahead. I would challenge you to show me what the "charitable interpretation" of moves like Michael Carter Williams, Melo, the Iman Shumpert deal, Westbrook, and many others that I'm sure I'm missing.

I really thought we had finally all seen the light about Tilman, but it appears we do still have a few holding out hope. I am envious of you. I would love to not realize the hopelessness of our ownership situation. Ignorance is bliss.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

The thing that really kills me is that he didn't just take a mediocre team and made it worse. This was a contender (with CP3) and just needed another piece or two to get us over the top.

How many other times have we had that kind of team in the last two decades? Maybe once with the Yao-McGrady team before injuries took over. The position we were in (almost entirely because of Morey) doesn't happen very often, and Fertitta came along with his thin wallet and massive ego and just the whole thing in record time.

#106 topfive, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    J Sizzle likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so now every move Morey made was the owner's doing? I mean, even if you are looking for excuses to screech, why pick no risk, high upside pickups that didn't happen to work out?

Why pick a deal that Harden forced?

Complaining that the Rockets didn't go into the tax to give a washed up Trevor Ariza a long term deal or that they bowed to their star player's demands is just weird.

Maybe one day your cries will be valid, but thus far I'm not seeing anything other than the fact you hate the man and want to complain. Good luck with that I guess.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh you need your memory refreshed, here's some.

Not bringing back Ariza for a measly year. The rockets searched for 2 years straight to replace him with cheap fringe players. Who could have as we now know been a valuable trade asset just in case. He's not only been able to get teams guys like Oubre/RoCo but has been signed to significant money since he was gone

Trading for Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss by attaching De'Anthony Melton to Ryno. Knight/Chriss are absolute trash. Neither helped the team win games, but they did save the team a lot of money

Oh congrats to melton on signing a 4 year $35 mil deal btw.

Anthony’s time with the Rockets proved to be a disaster and within a month the team elected to part-ways with their high-profile free agent signing, but instead of releasing him, they kept him on the roster for close to three months even though he wasn’t in Houston or had any connection to the team. Why? They didn’t want to just eat the rest of his salary

Fertitta told SportsRadio 610 he had no issues with paying the luxury the night before last season’s trade deadline, but instead of adding payroll, the Rockets subtracted. They saved some money by trading Knight, Chriss and a first-round pick in order to add Iman Shumpert, Wade Baldwin and Nik Stauskas. Then, in an incredible display of salary gymnastics, Daryl Morey got the team below the luxury tax line by making a flurry of cost-cutting moves.

Morey pawned Stauskas and Baldwin to Indiana, attaching a second-round pick to them, and he finally found a taker for Anthony’s contract in the Chicago Bulls. To top things off, they just gave Ennis, who was in their rotation, to Philadelphia.

He dumped Gary Clark just before his measly contract became guaranteed.

Oh congrats to Clark on signing a new deal with the Magic btw.

Even in the Capela deal for RoCo, the Rockets could’ve added another player and more salary, but didn’t which allowed them to save money on the deal.

it's just a sheer coincidence that they duck the LT every time. He just needs more time. You'll see. :rolleyes:. It's amazing who acts like they pay attention but it's clearly obvious they don't.

#108 YOLO, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Tilman is fond of telling his GMs that if they think we have a legitimate shot at a title, he's will to go into luxury tax territory to acquire the talent to make it happen.

Thing is, we were in that exact situation when he bought the team, and he pu$$ied out rather than spend a few extra million. Sure, it's his money and he has the right to hang on to it, but don't buy a damn NBA team if that's your mindset.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So are we still going with the delusion that if we brought back mr 0-9 from 3 on a long term deal that we'd have won the next season?

Crazy that a guy who has proven to be completely washed by being a net negative on the court since we let him walk is still seen as the sole reason why the Rockets lost 12 more games the next season and lost to the exact same team in the playoffs.

I guess people have to cling to something.

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

For this to be an actual discussion, the Rockets would have to be bottom dwelling and dysfunctional for almost 20 years straight. So far, they have been bottom dwelling and dysfunctional for 0 years straight.

tinman and BigShasta like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon, I mean, there was 7 whole teams with a better winning percentage than the Rockets last season, that's basically being the worst team in the league right?

Rockets fans are beyond spoiled at this point.

T for 3 likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup rockets fans will continue to look back for years on the sheer idiocy of ownership and the same losers making the same excuses year after year after year after year. But he just needs more time we've been told. kudos to those who no longer want to be part of the sheep and have actually acknowledged what's going on in reality.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Like dolan, tilman is a bad owner.

Unlike dolan, tilman is cheap and broke.

Both are blowhards who shouldn't be trusted.

In conclusion... The comparison is valid.

Tilman is simply a beggar version of Dolan.

Poor man's Dolan.

YOLO and topfive like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ouch.

J Sizzle likes this.
  16. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Its hard for me to believe that after years of watching Tilman dodge the tax, cut rotational players(Gary Clark) before they become guaranteed, trade draft picks for cash, let starters(Ariza) go on one year deal, play hard ball with G-Leaguer with proven NBA potential(House), we still posters here defending Tilman saying he's not being cheap. Incredible.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All these fake Rockets fans will create threads ' Why aren't the Rockets being discussed on Colin Chowherd anymore??"

@Os Trigonum

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Exactly
    It’s funny how people who experienced the first round Tmac exits think this team will end up like the Knicks who is hunting for the #1 pick every year
    Regardless of owners

bad owner doesn’t mean it’s similar owner

just because you don’t like the Travis Scott meal doesn’t mean it’s as bad as the J Balvin Meal
    @Reeko

T for 3 likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

They are both nba owners who are nothing alike.
    Didn’t Michael Jordan hate Bulls ownership and management?
    How many titles did they win ?

they are only alike because Clutchfans makes dumb analogies and think that Sergio lull and Malik badaine and joe Chee are nba starters

20. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

I don't think people realize how bad Dolan is as an owner. It's not even a comparison. Add to the fact the knicks haven't done anything since getting their ass handed to them in 94. It's a bad franchise with a terrible owner with the loyalist of basketball fans.

tinman likes this.