1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Dolan vs Tilman Fertitta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 3, 2020.

?

Who's the better NBA owner

1. Tilman

57 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Dolan

74 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Final regular season update:

NY: 41-31 4th seed

Houston Knicks: 17-55 Cancun bound

ico4498 and topfive like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. DonatelloLimestone

nothing is showing

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

You’re right cause houston isn’t on there

6. DonatelloLimestone

no i meant your picture just says 'img' so can't see it

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Shows up for me just fine. It’s just a pic of everyone scheduled to play on Christmas.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  8. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Lol at people voting Dolan. I get Tilman sucks but he’s not Dolan.

Wake me up when Dolan sicks his security on a franchise legend at Toyota Center.

Wear a “tilman sell the team” shirt to a Rockets game and tell me if you get kicked out.

VickMackey and roslolian like this.
  9. DonatelloLimestone

Dolan is like tilman, a humungous ego

you do realize tilman leakeda bunchof **** for an asset he was trying to trade...basically lowering the value to save face. He continues to lie to the fan base, over promise, under deliver and then point fingers and blame other

has dolan ever publicly took the iniative to talk abotu a coaches contract negotiation and then lie about it?https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...amn-turmoil-unsettling-vibe-surrounds-rockets

has Dolan ever leaked how bad his own players contracts are the worst hes seen in sports or the world?https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-the-worst-contract-hed-ever-seen-per-report/

Has dolan ever called his basketabll ops team weak and bragged he forced the westbrook trade through?https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...tta-tells-final-hours-of-paul-westbrook-deal/

has dolan ever lied ot the fanbase that we 'accidentally' traded a first round pick to get under the cap, and continued to lie to the fans till now claiming we went all in for morey and harden(our transaction history with himdon't agree with that)

Has dolan ever taken the mike after a playoff loss on a team he cheapened out on the margins and then said he is the one who wouldinstill a killer mentality on the likes of chris paul?

No mistake, dolan is an egomaniac,meddler and a terrible owner....So is tilman...the difference is in this nba the most an owner can do is give the finances when you are in a window..dolan spends, he will take swings for his team to be great....When tilman had a prime star, he cheapenedand lied abotu it. Thats the difference that makes for houston fans.

is it irrepairable? of course not, sarver changed...nba money is growing, tilman can redeem himself bc we ain't go no choice right?

but I have never seen a faster burn down of a winner, and everyone from the president of over 2 decades, gm, stars, role palyers, staf all heading for the door in 3 short years wewent from no 1 seed to literally the bottom of the barrel of the nba and a laughing stock.

I would chose neither if I could..they are at the bottom of the barrel with Sterling...All these deep pocket new ownersand the nba money is growing and we somehow got the most overleveraged dude whose willing to talk a lot and act little, literally a reality tv star...dolan plaster his face on the arena more prominently then the players and coach and gm? No star in modern nba will put up with this crap, youdon't even have to ask the players...the president, gm, coach,asscoach, staff, and any vets said hell naw. DOland has made the knicks a hard destination and poeple are going to brooklyn, bad owners can hurt the team...but never seen anything like tilman in a combination of ego, shameless lying, misleading, overselling, underperforming to the tune of a burn down in 3 years...not sure its ever happened

our only hope is this guy gains some self awareness, heeds his own advice, shuts up and listen....pay up when its time when green is really rolling and then he can talk and do whatever dumb **** he wants, no one wants to care about the owner...it only happens when they hinder winning

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

The difference between Dolan and Tillman is Dolan has a lot of money and is willing to spend but he keeps hiring the wrong guys. Tillman gets accused of not paying for lux tax but at least he hired Stone who has def done a better job than Morey when it comes to rebuilding. Rox havent had a FRP since 2013, thats not on Tillman thats on Morey.

Accusations of cheapening, it just means not wiping Morey'a mistake for Ryan Scrub or paying 15M for Ariza who btw has been horrible since that time. People focus on the notion rather than the result. Would the Rox win if they ahd spent to keep Ariza's dumb deal? Nah. But people dont care about that they just care about the narrative.

At least Tillman gave the go ahead to tank, the Rox couldve gotten Ben Simmons (lmao) or Levert and Allen if they wanted to make the playoffs. Thats something he has over Alexander whi wanted to collect that playoff $$$ every year no matter what.

I'd rather have a tightwad owner who hires the right people vs moneybags owners who kept on hiring gms like Isiah Thomas, Larry Brown, Phil Jackson etc.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Revisionist tilman defender right here.
    U can defend tilman all u want, but the man straight up told the crowd I will do whatever it takes to win. All I saw was him forcing Morey to do sht trades to go under the luxury tax. Now that we r in tank mode he can b a cheap ass for all I care.

At least with dolan, he's not afraid to go all in with varying results. We are never gonna win if tilman doesn't fully go in.

I said it b4 if tilman is being cheap with a player like harden u can bet your ass he will do it for any future star we have.

Downtown Sniper and YOLO like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right my bad.

The Rockets did have one FRP in 2016. when they took Sam Dekker. Other than that they were picking 2nd round from 2014 season - 2021. Tillman became owner when, around 2019 season? So I guess he been telling Morey to dump picks even before he owned the team?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Rockets_draft_history

Amazing revisionist history even Wikipedia is bought by Tillman.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

3 frp 2012 (royce white, jeremy lamb and Terrence jones) meh picks but Two of them yielded harden, so maybe white was the bust pick
    2013 pick it was traded for harden
    Clint capela frp 2014. (Remember him?)
    2015 dekker
    2016 pick was used in a trade package for ty Lawson, Morey took a chance on finding a point guard for Harden
    2017 pick traded for sixth man Lou Williams (great value trade)
    2018 pick gave up for cp3 ( are u btching still about not drafting in the first draft?)
    Then the rest is history.

So u can see one can argue that Morey did have late round first round picks, but he used it to get assets back (cp3, harden, etc.) It doesn't work all the time, but he didn't rebuild his team something the owner at the time didn't want.

Frp vs veterans (for a team that wants to compete with Harden, veterans r preferred).

Then when tilman came along
    We used frp picks to get Westbrook (U probably blame harden, but the cheap ass owner has the final say).

We can argue back and forth on who is better tilman vs Dolan, but honestly they r both sht tier to me, except Dolan isn't a cheapskate.

Tilman did not give the go ahead to tank? He was spewing bs out of his mouth of winning a ring even when harden wanted to leave. U expected John wall and cousins as a supporting cast for a ring? I hate people who says positive bullsht when they r doing something else ( ex: BoB)

#233 DatRocketFan, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    YOLO likes this.
  14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

.... You realise Stone was on the payroll already... Tilman didn't 'hire him'. He filled a gap out of necessity that was caused by his own presence.

Jesus talk about clutching at straws. But I guess that's what you got to do when it comes to defending the joke of an owner Tilman.

You probably know more than CP3 when it comes to Ariza, so I'll leave that point.

"Tillman gets accused of not paying for lux tax but at least he hired Stone..." This is literally one of the most idiotic things I've ever read.... you start the comment as if you're going to clap back and prove everyone wrong who says he doesn't pay the tax.... but.... then.... you just make some illogical comment which has nothing to do with it? Colour me confused.

"Stone has def done a better job than Morey when it comes to rebuilding". Oh so you mean Stone has done a better job at the one thing Morey was NEVER allowed to do in Houston? Such wow. Much amaze. What a stupid comment. Are you for real right now? What a pathetic way to paint a narrative whilst hiding the most relevant information.

Rox haven't had a first round pick since 2013? This may come as a huge shock to you, but that kind of coincides to when Morey brought this franchise back. It's like you're trying to make your post as pathetic as possible.

Accusations of cheapening. Blablabla. At this point I don't even know why I'm still replying to this because it's either a troll job, or your IQ is literally right there with Patricia Beverley's when someone looks him in eye. Here's a task for you - how about you list the things that were done once Tilman inherited a 65 win team. I'd love to see you try to talk your way out of any other conclusion except being a cheap piece of sh*t and saving himself money.

"At least Tilman gave the go ahead to tank"..... lets ignore the fact we should not even be in the position to tank in the first place if it wasn't for cheap ass Tilman. If it wasn't for him we'd still be riding with one of the top 2 at worst players in their prime as they continued to ride or die for a franchise when no one else would.

Hahahahahahahhahahaha. Imagine being glad about tanking and thinking this is a positive for the owner, when they shouldn't even be in this spot in the first place.

"who hires the right people" - oh you mean the people who don't know him enough to hate him yet? Best player the franchise has had in 20 years (lets hammer home the fact this superstar was ride or die for this franchise until Tilman) - check.

Head Coach - check.

GM - check.

CEO - check.

Oh if you were curious, they are all long time positions that could not wait to get the f*ck out of dodge just so they didn't have to experience your mate Tilman.

Is your name Patrick by any chance?

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"Tilman decided to tank" feels a little bit like revisionist history. Not going after anyone in this thread but I've heard this repeated a few times now around CFs.

If you recall, trading for Oladipo was not a tanking move, and the teams mini win-streak post-Harden trade had some people euphoric here that Boogie Cousins and John Wall could make us a playoff team. Once the losing started there was a period of heavy grief and denial before the tank was fully embraced.

There is no obvious indication that Tilman wanted to tank, nor should there be given that he bought a 60 win team with an illiquid $2.2B investment. It would've been crazy to intentionally tank for the sake of cash flows, but he gutted the team so much in 2019 and 2020 that tanking happened naturally. And thank goodness.

DatRocketFan and tinman like this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's also Restaurant Week in Houston

coincidence???
    @Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  17. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

Bring back Les!

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Stone was on the payroll but he wasnt the GM. The GM could have been anyone you realize that right? He could have put his son in charge, could have brought in an outside consultant, could have brought in a former coach. Thats what Dolan does right? Did Phil Jackson have a position in NYC before he got hired? No. You a certified dummy if you think its automatic Stone would have been GM. He submitted an application and out of all possible candidates he is the one Fertita chose. Fertita caused others to leave? So what? As long as the one who replaced the leavers are BETTER I dont care. Were you crying when Tmac left and got replaced by Harden? Gimme a break.

The whole tax thing has been discussed ad nauseum, I ddint wanna waste time by rehashing everything I've said before. One thing I've learned is people just love to hate on how others use their money.

The part where you say Morey brought this franchise back makes zero sense. Bringing the franchise back means having zero frp? You are the one being pathetic here just stringing together what you can with zero logical thought. The one thing Morey wasnt allowed to do? Rebuilding the team with youth doesnt just mean tanking for picks, Jalen Green is the only dude on the roster we got thru tanking. KPJ, CWood, Tate, kmart Jr Sengun, JC and Garuba were all obtained via free agency or low picks. Morey couldve done that too if he was capable. He wasnt. We kept getting first dibs on guys like Wood and Covington only to let them go cuz Morey aint got time for development.

They shouldnt be tanking in the first place? Ok so the Rox should still be trying to win with 31 yr old Harden, 37 yr old Cp3 and the oldest roster in the NBA you mean? After having won lots of regular season games only to fail miserably in the playoffs I dont give a f about regular season winning anymore. The Rox should have tanked much earlier.

Lol again with Tad Brown. Do you even know who Tad Brown is? What is he doing in Philly do you even know?

Dumbtoni - gone
    Tad Brown - gone
    Morey - gone

Excluding Tad Brown (who is irrelevant to me I dont give a F about executive management) I'm happy we dont have both Dumbtoni and Morey anymore. Morey hasnt exactly done a great job in Philly and Dumbtoni gonna Dumbtoni. Look Philly has Tad Brown and Morey right?

Why dont you follow 20 yr CEO and GM and go be a philly fan? Tillman is here to stay, he wont leave no matter how much you belly ache and whine and grumble. Just leave dude if you hate Fertita so much.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right initially there was no desire to tank. The team (and I personally) thought they were to good to tank and the 50-50 didnt make it a good move to tank either. Rox could tank and end up with 18th pick.

But remember Dipo was obtained PRIOR to trade deadline. When it became clear the team sucked if Fertita was adamant about not tanking he could have mandated Stone to make moves to stop tanking.

That's what Les Alexander did, we could have traded young players for insta win vets like when the Rox always made the playoffs as the 8th seed during the pre Harden era. We were rolling around with Luis Scola, Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier when in reality we should be tanking. But like I said Alexander wanted every single $$$ from the playoffs if it was possible, it just got window dressed as being all about winning.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/houseo...houston-rockets-leslie-alexander-winning/amp/

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...f-fans-lessens-impact-of-rockets-lost-season/

Here is Fertita talking about Rox being bad for 2 seasons. I mean I like that much better than win at all costs for pointless regular season wins.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

So exactly the point is the Rox still didnt draft picks since 2013 (meaning Capela was included, remember him?) under Morey right? Picks were traded for insta win now vets Ty Lawson, Lou Williams and Cp3. So your reply is just agreeing with what I said right? Good job.

You can argue back and forth about how those were good value trades or not, but the point is they didnt pan out and Rox paid the price of not being able to refill their roster with talent. The team outside Harden sucked. PJ Tucker was our 2nd best player, on the Bucks PJ Tucker was the 5th best player.

If you go all in every year sooner or later the house of cards will come crashing down.