1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Dolan Refuses to pay KD Max Deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigggReddd, Jun 30, 2019.

1. dchoye

dchoye Member

Dolan is a not bad owner. He wants to win and spends the money to do it
    He just bad at trying to be the GM
    He should just stay out of the decision making and let his GM do their job.
    He made so many awful final veto decisions that backfired over the past two decades
    Must be tough to be a Knicks fan

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dolan got his star Reggie Bullock for 10 m a year. :rolleyes:

roslolian and BigggReddd like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

You realize NYC is paying Julius Randle and Bobby Portis what Nets are paying KD right? How is Randle an Asset when he is making 20+M a year? Bobby Portis 15+M a year? Thats way worse than what the Rox paid Ryan Scrubberson cmon now.

Worse case if KD does turn into a role player...he is still gonna be better than freaking Julius Randle and Bobby Portis combined. And if he come back 70%+? Lmao! Wait for me to @ you 2 years from now and lets see who is more of an asset, 35 yr old KD or Bobby Portis and Julius Randle smh

In terms of PR and recruitment to other stars, KD brings way more than freaking Bobby Portis and Julius Randle he brought Irving to the Nets along with De Andre Jordan. How's that for a "32 yr old who isnt an asset"?Bringing another superstar and convincing him to take a discount so they can bring in another guy also at a discount and that's not an asset? KD is already an amazing asset and he isnt even playing next year.

That's just Bollocks...as in Reggie Bollocks for 10M a year lol

Nook likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Julius Randle is averaging 21 points and 8 rebounds and is 24 years old, this is nothing like the Ryno contract, nothing, and it is a 2 year deal with a team option 3rd year. How is this a bad contract? To say this means you must have no idea who Julius Randle even is?

All of these contracts are for 2 years, it's pretty clear what the Knicks are doing here, they have a plan and it may turn out to be better than to take a risk on a player that is going to come back from a career ruining injury at 32 years old.

Honestly, you should just look at the before and after of players that have had this injury, when you do, then tell me that the Knicks were stupid to not take this risk. Only really one player returned back to form, nearly every other player took a significant decrease...yet all these same people say John Wall's contract is bad (has the same injury and younger) but Durant's is good because he's Durant and I guess he has special super enforced muscles and bones that other people don't have so we should expect him to just be elite again because he is Durant! Let's just forget that before this injury he's had injury problems

The fact is this, most players never return to their previous form, it is an anomaly. In fact, most players take a significant decrease in production...you factor in that and then remember that he will be 32 years of age upon his return then one must realize it's not that crazy for the Knicks to pass up on him.

All the Knicks are doing is realizing the reality of the situation that most players do not return to form after this injury and that there is a chance he may not be the Durant they are paying for. They have some good young players and will have all the cap space in a stacked 2021 FA class that features Giannis...they weren't winning a championship before 2021 any ways. For once, they are staying flexible and collecting young assets, this is how you rebuild.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I know who Julius Randle is, you realize Ryan Anderson averaged 18 and 9 on Pelicans the year the Rox signed him right? How is that nothing lile the Ryno contract? Both are role players who inflates their value on a crappy team.

I have looked at players before and after their injury..and KD will still be better than Randle and Portis combined.

Maybe you havent realized it but KD is a superstar, one of the 3 best players on the planet. If he goes down then he is just a star...which is still better than Randle and Bobby Portis.

You know what is attractive to Giannis? A superstar like KD. You know who isnt attractive to Giannis? Freaking Julius Randle, Bobby Portis and Reggie Bollocks.

I dont really understand what does Knicks having capspace and young players have anything to do with KD, they arent trading for KD they are signing him. They still have their young talent, capspace for a max and flexibility unless Kd brought Irving to Knicks and would the Knicks complain about that?

The choice is strictly between Bobby Portis and Julius Randle vs KD. That's it. You telling me you would rather have Portis and Randle for the same amount over Kevin freaking Durant? LMAO!!!!! You and the knicks are clearly in a minority about this, majority of people think the Knicks are dumb AF. A significant portion of people even think this is just a face-saving move, meaning the Knicks woulda paid KD but he decline them. That just shows you the overwhelming majority choose KD over Portis and Julius Randle.

You know who is 35 yrs old? Lebron. You know who is 18 yrs old? Talen Horton Tucker. Who is the bigger asset between the two? Age doesnt define who is the asset, talent does.

#85 roslolian, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, the choice isn't between Portis and Randle vs Durant. That's not the choice they are making. Their GM even said years ago that they would be patient and that's what they are doing now.

The choice is between Durant and Capspace in 2021, a stacked FA class.

Considering that Durant will be 32 and coming off an injury, as history shows, many do not return to form from, it seems a safe bet for the Knicks to pass on this one. If they can free up space for 2 max contracts (and it looks like they will have that) then they can Sell to Giannis New York and whoever he wants to play with. CJ, Oladipo, Beal, Paul George, whoever...and this is not counting Barret who may be a star player himself. It's not Portis or Bollocks or Randle but you know what? Randle will be a bird rights player for them so if he does continue to improve he's another attractive piece to entice Giannis along with being in NYC and bringing another star alongside with him.

The Knicks are doing exactly what the Lakers did. Remaining flexible and acquiring assets in an attractive market...and we all clowned on the Lakers for years and look who will be doing the clowning now.

They do not have max flexibility if they sign Durant...that's a full max contract dude, it eats into their cap for the next 4 years and if Durant isn't the Durant they hope for...then what? Maybe he is still just a star? Is that good enough to win championships when you have the possibility of Kawhi-AD-Lebron in LA?

Again, history shows they are actually making a safe bet here and that most players outside of like 2 exceptions do not return the same after this injsury. Some go from being elite players to role players, some put in a meek 2-3 years and just retire.

We will just have to agree to disagree, but when you are a big city like NYC all you need to do is have cap space, flexibility, and a few young assets. Lakers just proved this.

Now maybe Giannis will laugh off their offer, maybe the Bucks will continue to improve and he will never consider playing anywhere else, I hope so... but maybe Durant won't be nearly as good as he once was, nothing but risks for them here once Durant got hurt and all I'm saying is that singing Durant was a risk too at this point, still a risk for the Nets, we'll just agree to disagree, but realize that I'm just going by the history of this same injury and knowing that Durant will be 32 returning from it and that he doesn't have a great injury history to begin with.

7. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

“The Knicks' inability to land Durant — or any other high-profile NBA free agent — sent shares of the team's parent company sliding as much as 3.4% on Monday. That wiped out as much as $229 million of market value from the stock at its lowest intraday level.”

Good job saving that $164M though...wait no, you spent most of it on mediocre players.

https://markets.businessinsider.com...tm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi

BigggReddd likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

People might give Dolan a lot of criticism for this, but Durant would have been a 32 year old coming off an Achilles injury, no? It's justifiable to be hesitant about throwing tons of money at that player.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

This doesnt even matter. KD already said previously on all the smoke that the Knicks were never a choice for him

UTSA2step, Nook, ElPigto and 3 others like this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is nothing wrong with being a cheap ass owner. I feel sorry for their fans. Dolan is the kind of owner who would offer a 103M 2 year extension to his star play who is demanding a trade knowing the star will deny it ... all for the sake of looking like he isnt a cheap ****.

Nook and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

R u talkin about us and tilman right now?

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lol sounds like Tillman “we had some big moves at the deadline and things just fell through..”

AroundTheWorld and clos4life like this.
  16. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Damn I spoke alot of truth a year and a half ago. I told y'all KD would be the same player

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m shocked these guys are able to come back from this injury. Still, I wouldn’t collect anything just yet. From, granted little, that I’ve read, once you’ve ruptured one it’s more likely to happen again. I would imagine he’s going to have to be managed heavily. If I’m Dolan I’m hesitant to throw max money at a cornerstone star before even seeing him come back for a single game after a devastating injury.

Not sure anyone else is signing with NYK after an unknown KD signs. And if he doesn’t turn out the same player, you’re even further from your goal.

Not worth the risk, imo.

UTSA2step likes this.
  18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

It was easily worth the risk.

KD would fall into a Dirk-esque role if he lost all of his athleticism, and he'd still likely be good enough to warrant max money.

roslolian likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

@JayGoogle

Bruh it aint even 2 years....Bobby Portis who?

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Easy for you to say. Ain’t your money! Lol