1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Dolan Refuses to pay KD Max Deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigggReddd, Jun 30, 2019.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Remember this post LOL this is gonna be fun.

mike2k132 likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You just said he was going to average 25+ ppg and be just fine on defense...

Also, Dirk never had this injury, if he did, I imagine he would have retired a lot sooner.

3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

........and that is exactly what I said in the quote you just quoted dude. Holy **** lmao. Did Dirk never average 25ppg? And unless you consider Rockets Ariza ELITE on the defensive end then sure I guess maybe in your books I said he'd remain an elite defender.

Please read my posts slowly because it really feels you're just dancing around what I'm saying and putting words in my mouth.

Also, Dirk was never as agile and athletic as KD. KD WILL be more athletic than Prime Dirk after this injury, wanna bet?

mike2k132 likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Randle is a fine player with upside though. Seeing what some others are getting paid, I bet this is market price for him and the deal isn't even all that long. 3 years, 2 seasons and the contract (if he hasn't progressed) becomes a nice trading piece

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Crazy overpay? What do u think he’s worth, 10 mil/yr? Do u see what all these dudes have been getting paid so far? Randle is 24 and just averaged 21, 9, and 3. He was worth at least 17-18 mil/yr in this market easily. The Knicks gave him 21 mil/yr for 3 years. How is that a crazy overpay?

6. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish that he had opted back in with GS and let the people who allowed him back on the court pay his salary while he rehabs.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think you need to read my posts back because I said his defense is going to be a big question, you then go and say "He'll be just fine" so I read that as "He'll be a good defender." You even go on to say he has long arms as if that's really going to matter in todays NBA where you can't touch the driving player 9x out of 10. They always put longer guys on Harden and Curry and Dame...how you think that works out?

Defense is all about staying in front of your man, not reaching with your wingspan, that only comes into play when you are trying to block shots. All-star guards aren't shut down by wingspan, but by agilty, moving your feet from side to side and staying in front of your man.

mike2k132 likes this.
  8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

You don't play defense with your head. His standing reach is ridicluous.

I feel silly continuing this debate, I'll just bump it late 2020 when KD is on a 25ppg streak lol

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dolan is right there with Donald Sterling for the title of worst owner of all time.

HOWEVER - I would be terrified of this. Because not only is there the risk that Durant doesn't come back anywhere near full strength (after you pay him damn near 40 million for a year of not playing) but that also creates an additional dangerous situation. In year 1, Kyrie will be the team leader. How'd that go in Boston? Kyrie is a great weapon to have if you have a Lebron or healthy Durant or Kawhi. He's not so great when he's the primary focus. Additionally, when things aren't going well Kyrie has a long track record of pointing the finger at everybody but himself. That was one of the biggest problems in Boston.

To recap:

potential problem 1. stuck with a shadow of Durant for max money for 4 years.
    potential problem 2. Kyrie tanks your team's chemistry to the point it can't be fixed before Durant can even get on the floor.

I don't blame any GM for moving on them because there is championship potential if you add those three guys - but my god I'd be terrified to be the GM to make that move.

da_juice and Patience like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who said anything about his head? You play defense with your feet and your body, not your reach, and he's going to be a lot slower coming back after that injury and a lot less agile.

All that reach for Capela really works out well for him when we put him on a guard...right? Whose a better perimeter defender, Draymond Green or Capela?

Or better yet, how's Lowry's defense with his trex arms?

mike2k132 likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

KD isnt gonna be the same but he is still a max dude. Anytime you can secure a guy like KD you do it no questions asked its gonna bw the first of building blocks.

NY young core is a joke there are too many questions on these young guys you dont even know if they become a star or not. Dolan is old already just like a lot of NY fans they want results not wait around for a decade more.

12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

again

13. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Its weird.....they hand out bad contracts left and right. The one time everybody including the fans base would have been ok signing a hurt KD to the max they dont do it. They had a real chance too. I believe KD wanted to play with the Knicks but not enough to not get the max though. Plus Kyrie going to Brooklyn was the icing on the cake.

da_juice likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean who knows, maybe kd and kyrie wouldnt have mind playing for the knicks. if the numbers worked out for both. they were obviously a package deal. pretty strange to me when you have an opportunity to get by far the best talent youll probably ever get, they get cold feet. but hey knicks are gonna knicks.

Ramo$e likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree he's still a max because that's what the market demands...

But for a young team like the Knicks they are finally actually building a team. keeping their draft picks, and taking it slow. Clearly they saw Durant as a risk...history shows that this injury is no joke and that they aren't crazy for thinking this is a risk that they'd rather not take.

Patience likes this.
  16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Maybe they have gotten cold feet after selling the farm to get Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire.

17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I feel u bro, but are we gonna argue that kd even after a acl isnt gonna be a 40 percent 3 point shooter n a 90 freethrow shooter. Kd strength is his length n shooting. I dont think those traits are effect as much by a acl. Look at boogie. What was his issue, explosiveness. Kd just shoots over the top. N will still be quicker then most bigs gaurding him.

To me if it was one guy in the history of the NBA I would bet on being a allstar level talent off a acl, i would bet it all on kd. So I think they made a bad move. They let past dumb risk scare them from actually taking a good risk

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Normally, I'd agree with the bold, but this is Kevin Durant we're talking about. Not some mediocre 15/6/3 30 year old player who's coming off an achilles tear.

Worst case scenario, he's a shell of himself. Well, people are less likely to give the GM crap for signing Durant just because he's Kevin Durant. I'd rather sign KD and whiff on his contract than not sign him but he actually turns out to be still good.

Also, the Knicks are so desperate to be back in the world's eye again, that giving KD this contract was 100% the right move to do. It would also entice FAs to come play with a healthy Durant for the '20-'21 season.

Bad decision by the Knicks not to give KD the max, imo.

19. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

To me his on ball defense was really over rated. It was really his weak side help d that was good. N even that is cause that man is a 7 footer with insane wing span. u always are getting slower u can make up for that with just correct positioning n anticipation. He wont be again to guard 1 n 2s as good but that's not the end if the world.

20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

He kind of got there red. Good back n forth. Agreed with alot of what both of yall said. I think u missing his defense point by saying he will getv25 a game. That could be true n still his point of him being worst defensively.